Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

I learned so much of your people. I went into a synagogue and shook the Rabbi's hand and said "My Breasts."

I think he misinterpreted my Hebrew as the police came and took me away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Anidav posted:

I learned so much of your people. I went into a synagogue and shook the Rabbi's hand and said "My Breasts."

I think he misinterpreted my Hebrew as the police came and took me away.

That sounds more like Shebrew.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Solemn Sloth posted:

Updated my post with link to abc story

Cheers. I think the computer glitch and the IT people have been scapegoated here; only one dept staff and one contractor working on the system, which probably should have had additional resources to help with testing, and in addition, only one follow up by a principal in six months worth of reporting? Something went wrong but it wasn't just the reporting software.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Stoca Zola posted:

Cheers. I think the computer glitch and the IT people have been scapegoated here; only one dept staff and one contractor working on the system, which probably should have had additional resources to help with testing, and in addition, only one follow up by a principal in six months worth of reporting? Something went wrong but it wasn't just the reporting software.

Well it did happen in Queensland

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I can't imagine they'd have it any better than here, the ed department IT group in SA seem to be a dwindling group of overworked frustrated underpaid people who are constantly shuffled from team to team and can't stick around at the end of a project to help with any issues that crop up once it's implemented. Or they burn out and quit taking their knowledge with them. Meanwhile everything is shifting towards being done electronically, online. Something's gotta give.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Their fatal flaw was expecting the average cop to handle any computer-related task more complex than browsing facebook.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Their fatal flaw was expecting the average cop to handle any computer-related task more complex than browsing stormfront.

ftfy :colbert:

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Someone was complaining on the radio "Why isn't this stuff TESTED? It should be tested and looked at every month to make sure it's working!".

That person has never worked in IT I take it.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Splode posted:

What if the government was overthrown by a dictatorship but the dictatorship had policies like "don't imprison and torture refugees in tropical murder camps"

Discuss.

Ahem

http://m.heraldsun.com.au/news/opinion/we-need-real-leadership-and-real-democracy-from-our-politicians/story-fni0ffsx-1227210964051

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

In joyful strains then let us sing
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
First Dog!

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

hello new thread.

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
If you haven't seen it you should watch Go Back to Where You Came From on SBS catch up.

Or just keep posting first dog and telling each other to kill yourselves.

Whatever.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Counter dog:

white mans burping
Feb 24, 2015

Sir Charles
Apr 25, 2006
Can't...seem to...penetrate the fabric...must be...some kind of...polyester weave!

ewe2 posted:

At the risk of interrupting perspective-chat, any of our WA peeps have some on this little brouhaha? What are the combatants like?

From previous thread. I have no idea about his electorate performance, but I like Matt Taylor. Has a weird background for liberal official. An environment scientist who's spent a lot of time working in govt.

He was a bit of a legend when I spoke with him after a speech he did. He didn't do that thing most pollies do of searching the room for the next person to speak to and ended up chatting for 20 minutes or so. My old work ended up getting him to a conference panel we ran with Ludlam, Freo mayor and some labor mp. He was excellent on that too. Genuinely thoughtful and didn't do any political point scoring during the panel.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013
So the July thread being in front of the August thread irritates me

Footy tonight.

I'm disappointed Goodes is out, I mean I understand he must be emotionally exhausted given just how many Australians are complete shitstains who should be taken out the back and shot sent to a tropical resort, but I've been watching that man play footy for my entire adult life and each season when I think he'll retire and every game where I wonder if he's past it, he does something magical and all I can do is cry out "GIVE HIM ANOTHER BROWNLOW!"

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Goodes is for my money the best utility to ever play football and an even better leader off field.

I hope Andrew bolts head literally exploded upon seeing today's front page of The Age

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein

Solemn Sloth posted:

Goodes is for my money the best utility to ever play football and an even better leader off field.

I hope Andrew bolts head literally exploded upon seeing today's front page of The Age

Bolt would have loved the front page because it's given him material for another 15 blog posts

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Drugs posted:

Bolt would have loved the front page because it's given him material for another 15 blog posts

You just can't play the race card like Bolt plays the victim card guys, go home. It's that level of cynicism, but he also has to keep distracting his peeps to keep them on the boil or they might start to think like grownup humans and he's lost them.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

bigis posted:

If you haven't seen it you should watch Go Back to Where You Came From on SBS catch up.
Thanks,

Now I'm angry again.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Cartoon posted:

Thanks,

Now I'm angry again.

That Facebook lady :argh:

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

bolt is in good form today

"I'm no rightwinger, but a conservative"

"the stolen generation literally doesn't exist"

and possibly my favourite "It’s no excuse to com plain that the other side does it, too. That said, check out the hypocrites:"

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Solemn Sloth posted:

bolt is in good form today

"the stolen generation literally doesn't exist"

Is this a direct quote or paraphrasing? That's insane.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Ranter posted:

quote:

It is now a sin - even a crime against high art - to mention that despite all the apologies, all the teaching, all the ceremonies and all the newspaper stories, no one to this day has been able to name even 10 of the children allegedly stolen by officials just for being Aborigines. Even the courts cannot find them, for all the activists now appointed to the judiciary. Yet I predict that questioning the “stolen generations” myth will soon be ruled unlawful.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

quote:

Children taken from their parents were taught to reject their Indigenous heritage, and made to adopt white culture. Their names were changed, and they were forbidden to speak their traditional language

Could this maybe have something to do with it?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I... uh.... how.... what?

I actually want to cry. What is he suggesting? That there are white children that were also taken in remote communities?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

I believe that andrew bolt is hinging his case on "taken just for being aborigines" and saying that they were all in fact taken for their own good because aboriginal parents are universally abusive, despite you know the fairly well documented intention of eugenics amongst senior officials in charge of carrying out the operations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Ranter posted:

Andrew Bolt posted:

It is now a sin - even a crime against high art - to mention that despite all the apologies, all the teaching, all the ceremonies and all the newspaper stories, no one to this day has been able to name even 10 of the children allegedly stolen by officials just for being Aborigines. Even the courts cannot find them, for all the activists now appointed to the judiciary. Yet I predict that questioning the “stolen generations” myth will soon be ruled unlawful.

Bolt has a long history with the "name 10" thing. It's based around an argument he had with Robert Manne, who has pretty comprehensively demonstrated how intellectually dishonest Bolt is being.

Robert Manne (the Monthly) posted:

Bolt challenged me to name ten stolen children. This was, I must admit, a cunning move. Unless one is prepared for a challenge of this kind, lists of names of the victims of a policy do not trip off the tongue. I doubt I would have done better if I had been asked to name ten victims of the Stalin terror or the Armenian genocide, matters I have read a very great deal about. Bolt’s “name ten” myth was born.
Soon after this radio encounter – the transcript of which was published in the Herald Sun – I asked the Director of the Melbourne Writers’ Festival if she was interested in inviting Andrew Bolt for a debate with me on the stolen generations. What then followed was truly bizarre. Bolt made it a condition of his participation that I send him a list beforehand not merely of ten “stolen children” but of “a hundred” or even “hundreds”. I emailed Bolt to let him know that I found his request peculiar. The issue dividing us was whether or not there were ten or a hundred or indeed thousands of “stolen children”. What Bolt seemed to require, as a condition of agreeing to a debate, was that I first provide him with the evidence proving that he was wrong. Although we had by now entered an “Alice in Wonderland” world, I told him I was happy to meet his condition so long as he provided me with a definition of what counted for him as a “stolen child”. Bolt refused to answer this question. Nonetheless I decided to send him a reasonably detailed list of mixed descent children removed in the different states and territories between 1900 and 1970.
Bolt claimed on a dozen occasions or more that I had been challenged but had failed to name even ten “stolen” children. Usually he failed to mention that I had sent him some 260 names. He never mentioned that I had asked him to supply a definition of what counted for him as a stolen child and that he had refused. On one rare occasion when he did acknowledge that I had sent him more than 200 names, Bolt claimed that the names I had sent him all came from Queensland. They did not. He claimed that in these cases neglect had been proven at court. In fact, as I had already made clear to him, having Aboriginal blood was itself sufficient proof of neglect under Queensland’s 1865 Industrial Schools and Reformatory Act. Bolt also claimed that the children in the “half-caste” homes in interwar Darwin and Alice Springs were sent there because of neglect. As the documentary collection shows beyond ambiguity, they were not. The policy set out in 1934 was explicit: “It is the policy of the Administration to collect all half-castes from the native camps at an early age and transfer them to the Government Institutions at Darwin and Alice Springs.”

Bolt continued to claim that no racism was involved in the policy of mixed descent child removal. As already argued, the documentary collection revealed that the Commonwealth government in 1933 supported the policy of “breeding out the colour” of the “half-castes” whose removal it had organised. The collection published the 1909 view of the Western Australian Protector James Isdell. “I would not hesitate for one moment to separate any half-caste from its aboriginal mother, no matter how frantic their momentary grief. They soon forget their offspring.”

The whole article is pretty much required reading if you want to get into the specifics of how much of a disingenuous fuckwit Bolt is, as is Anne Summers' piece (also in The Monthly).

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
He is a piece of poo poo. Stolen Generation Denial is a thing.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

Solemn Sloth posted:

how is he not fired/run out of town for this poo poo? thats probably the worst thing I've seen someone in australia say. And this is the guy saying racism against goodes doesn't exist.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Solemn Sloth posted:

I believe that andrew bolt is hinging his case on "taken just for being aborigines" and saying that they were all in fact taken for their own good because aboriginal parents are universally abusive, despite you know the fairly well documented intention of eugenics amongst senior officials in charge of carrying out the operations.

Got it in one. To think government officials regularly appear on the television show of australias only convicted racist demagogue. While boycotting the ABC. Australia. AUSTRALIA

Lascivious Sloth posted:

how is he not fired/run out of town for this poo poo? thats probably the worst thing I've seen someone in australia say. And this is the guy saying racism against goodes doesn't exist.

Because what he has to say lines up ideologically with the people who matter. He has a last placing show on a last placing channel and it's played twice on the same day. Eg: half the lnp are documented admitted stolen generation denialists, the other are smart enough to keep quiet.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Aug 1, 2015

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Lascivious Sloth posted:

Because Australia is a racist country. Especially against indigenous people.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Bolt has a long history with the "name 10" thing. It's based around an argument he had with Robert Manne, who has pretty comprehensively demonstrated how intellectually dishonest Bolt is being.

The whole article is pretty much required reading if you want to get into the specifics of how much of a disingenuous fuckwit Bolt is, as is Anne Summers' piece (also in The Monthly).

I'm gobsmacked. This is astounding. How is this man employed by a commercial media network? Especially with such terrible ratings.

Fire him immediately.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Konomex posted:

I'm gobsmacked. This is astounding. How is this man employed by a commercial media network? Especially with such terrible ratings.

Australia is generally a racist country. That's what I have taken away from the last week of discourse.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Konomex posted:

Fire him immediately.

Pretty sure Gina Rinehart is bankrolling it. She paid to get on the board and has clout there.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Frogmanv2 posted:

Pretty sure Gina Rinehart is bankrolling it. She paid to get on the board and has clout there.

She quit the board almost a year ago. Nevertheless, Bolt ticks a lot of boxes for a few people, so the funding could come from a variety of well-hidden sources, the sort of thing that political parties like the ALP and LNP do to hide their donations. And that's not the troubling part, it's that rich people are literally paying Bolt and Devine and Albrechtson etc to keep people distracted because they really believe they're the masters of the local universe and they can shape people to their will: and it works well enough that they believe it.

The key tactic Bolt was using with Manne was the anti-intellectual anti-politics gig that your neoliberal thinktanks like to use to pretend they aren't social engineering. That's a "fool some of the people some of the time" kind of thing that looms larger on the internet a bit more than it should, but it works because its one of the pincers of the attack. The other pincer is reduction of funding. The clear goal is to reduce all arguments to a purely utilitarian proposition, culture does not exist except as sanctioned, user pays and vendor charges like a wounded bull to cut out the riff-raff.

The "perspective" part is that all this doesn't always go to plan. The IPA might influence the LNP's actions but they cut no ice outside of that except for their catallaxyfiles.com cheersquad. And social engineering takes a long long time to take effect and the natural inertia of populations tends to reassert itself. Of course you probably won't see that happen in your lifetime given the hard work of Abbott and Co.

nyerf
Feb 12, 2010

An elephant never forgets...TO KILL!

"[/spoiler posted:

Cartoon" post="448419111"]
Thanks,

Now I'm angry again.

I spent most of the first episode in tears.

gently caress this country's government, seriously :smithicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

gently caress Andrew Bolt.

• Locked thread