Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
“We were sent a very strong message by the electorate at this general election, and we are behaving like a petulant child who has been told you can’t have the sweeties in the sweetshop, you can’t have power. And now we’re running around stamping our feet, screaming at the electorate.”
-Chuka Umunna, Labour MP for Streatham and Shadow Business Secretary

"Did Jeremy Corbyn used to wear open-toed sandals around Westminster in hot weather? Does he still? They’re comfy (I wear them myself), but ridiculous. If memory serves, he wore them with socks, white socks even... Harold Wilson, four times Labour prime minister, used to wear open-toed sandals on Scilly Isles holidays (no socks). But is post-imperial Britain ready for a major party leader who wears them to work? With socks?"
-Michael White, who somehow gets paid to write words

"When people say 'my heart says I should be with that politics', well get a transplant, because that's just dumb."
-Tony Blair

So, having decisively won the May election with 36.9% of the votes of the 66.1% of the electorate that voted, and a massive majority of 12 seats, it's time we all admit that the Conservatives have won for all time. Our future Prime Minister George Osborne released a special edition bonus budget this month, now that he doesn't have to listen to Nick Clegg pretending that he still represents anybody at all, and has given us all a vision of the future, namely Ian Duncan Smith making this face - forever:

Among the great leaps forward in responsible budget management are more debt for students, more money to make bombs to drop on places that look at us funny, and a new living wage that isn't actually a living wage and won't actually help low-income households due to all the cuts elsewhere. Children who make the mistake of being born as the third child will be punished like the scum that they are, while children who have been born into an inheritance of up to £1m will not have any of their hard-earned cash cruelly stolen from them by the State. 18-21 year olds will no longer be automatically entitled to housing benefit, as they can obviously just shack up in one of their parents' spare houses.

In response the Labour Party, the Voice Of the Working Class, decided that the best way they could represent the people who voted for them to oppose the Tories was to not bother showing up to the vote on the welfare bill, as voting against it would be telling the British people they were wrong. Or at least telling 40% of 66% of them they were wrong, which I can't quite be bothered doing the maths but I'm pretty sure works out to somewhere in the high 90s.

Yes, having lost the election under Evil Communist Red Ed Milliband, it's time for the Labour Party to admit that the only option left is to slowly become more and more like the Conservatives, until they become so indistinguishable that they eventually merge somewhere around 2030 and bring the ideal strong government that comes from a one-party state. Their leadership election is going swimmingly, with one candidate with the strong conviction that Labour need to move rightwards, and two with no convictions whatsoever apart from wanting to be elected who will do or say pretty much anything to see that happen, just like the master of political strategy that was Dreamy Ed Milliband The Wise.

But wait - what's that, coming over the horizon? What's that noise, the heavenly trumpet calls, the angels singing something about flags to the tune of O Christmas Tree for some reason - it's -

It's Jeremy loving Corbyn - train enthusiast, maker of jam, possible wearer of socks with sandals, and actual left-winger - who has just scraped enough nominations from unsuspecting MPs to be a candidate for the Leader of the Labour Party. And thanks to a new system of voting, where one vote is given to each member - including "supporters" who only have to pay £3 to have a say - Corbyn might actually have a chance of winning.

The reaction has been swift. Newspaper columnists everywhere have warned against the dangers of voting for a person who you actually agree with, Blairites are doing their best to call Labour members idiots without directly saying so, and the remains of Tony Blair himself have somehow proved themselves still able to do a passable impression of speech like humans do to advocate heart transplants, as if he knows anything about heart ownership.

But here, in this thread, we know what is destined. We True Believers. For it is written, somewhere, presumably, that the great Corbae will descend from the sky itself, and bring about a new age of moderate center-left policy endless joy and prosperity. He will somehow lead a party half-full of people who hate him into victory against pretty much every newspaper that isn't being forced into your hands by Trots pretending to want to talk to you, by speaking to an electorate who are pretty sure that everything can be solved by rounding up immigrants and forcing them into the sea, and working within an international climate that is still not entirely convinced that you can't get economic prosperity by just grinding up poor people and feeding them to billionaires. What could possibly go wrong?

Important dates for all this exciting Labour Leadership Stuff (from Wikipedia)
  • Wednesday 12 August 2015 (12:00) – Last date to join as member, affiliated support or registered supporter and be able to vote
  • Friday 14 August 2015 – Ballot papers are sent out
  • Thursday 10 September 2015 (12:00) – Ballot closes (Seriously? There's more than a month left? Jesus christ)
  • Saturday 12 September 2015 – Special Conference to announce the results, and a Tentative Victory Party for the Corbynator, as there ain't no party like a tentative party.

Also in the news:
UKMT 2015 so far:
Other threads for British things:
This Was In The Last OP, So Sure, I'll Quote It I Guess

Junior G-man posted:

You guys should all take part in the Big Butterfly Count today or this weekend. It runs till the end of August.

Because butterflies (and moths :3: ) are awesome and need a hand. Also, better numbers = better science and more understanding.

Also, David Attenborough tells you to do so, and dare you refuse him? Because he will loving cut you.

Also there's an IRC channel which you can hang out in:

crispix posted:

It's #ukgoons on synirc. Yes, Question Time is for the most part the highlight of our weeks but there are always people around and there's often heated debate on account of having a resident Tory Bastard or two. Generally if there's a political event of any kind there'll be people in the channel watchalonging it - also non-political events like the sheepdog championships. And then there's the general chitchat about topics including Europe, ale, the internet, what happens if you eat only bacon and egg sandwiches... the list goes on, really, and it doesn't at any point get more exciting.

Angepain fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jul 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Edit: ^^ This is an awesome OP.

M for Mushroom posted:

Well I just completely hosed up the one job interview I've managed to get in months of trying.

Back to graduate unemployment with me! :smithicide:

I hope FULL CORBYNISM comes with FULL CORBYNPLOYMENT before the Tories send me off to the camps or something

Really sorry. :( Would it help to get some thoughts from UKMT for next time, or do you know where it all went wrong?

Kegluneq posted:

Are people still having issues with signing up as Labour supporters? I'm just asking because despite having to put my billing address rather than the one on the electoral roll through I've apparently been accepted with no issues - just got an email telling me when and how to vote (both addresses are in the same constituency).

I posted yesterday that I was all sorted after speaking to a nice person on the telephone who told me he could "override the system", that I was all set up, and I'd receive my ballot stuff electronically in August. Then a couple of hours later, I got another automated rejection email. :suicide: I'm probably going to leave it there and let the Corbae do without my vote.

Prince John fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jul 31, 2015

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

This OP. I like this loving OP.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Angepain posted:

and the remains of Tony Blair himself have somehow proved themselves still able to do a passable impression of speech like humans do to advocate heart transplants, as if he knows anything about heart ownership.
He knows that heart failure's the only reason that he got his job, so there's that.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

:golfclap: for the OP, this is some good poo poo. Although I'm confused as to whether boatchat is allowed or if Stephen Fry is okay now. Maybe next month.

M for Mushroom posted:

Well I just completely hosed up the one job interview I've managed to get in months of trying.

Back to graduate unemployment with me!

I hope FULL CORBYNISM comes with FULL CORBYNPLOYMENT before the Tories send me off to the camps or something
:smith::hf::smith:

Was it a proper job relating to your field of study? I just came out of a call centre job that had nothing to do with my PhD (lol) but was actually pretty cool and good, and being paid was just lovely.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

How can kids that young look that inbred? How is that even a thing that is biologically possible? I don't want to want to punch a two-year-old in the face, but here we are.

e; But yeah that's a pro-tier OP, great work there.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Best OP in ages, OP.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Autonomous Monster posted:

This OP. I like this loving OP.

Yes. This. This is a good OP.
---

Not sure if it was reported in the last thread, but the CWU is throwing its support behind Corbyn.

"CWU backs Jeremy Corbyn 'to oust Blairites' posted:

The Communication Workers Union has backed left-wing MP Jeremy Corbyn in Labour's leadership contest, saying the "grip of the Blairites" on the party must be "loosened once and for all".

The union's general secretary Dave Ward said Mr Corbyn was the "antidote" to the "virus within the Labour Party".

It made Andy Burnham its second choice.

Another candidate, Liz Kendall, said Mr Ward's reference to a "virus" was offensive and that what was needed was "an antidote to the Tories". [:lol: I don't think you're that antidote Kendall]

The Transport Salaried Staffs Association also nominated Mr Corbyn, who is already backed by the UK's two largest unions, Unite and Unison.

BBC assistant political editor Norman Smith said the latest union endorsements meant "the momentum is going further and further behind Jeremy Corbyn".

He said Mr Ward's language was perhaps even more significant, adding: "If that is what the future holds for Labour, you sense that it could be heading remorselessly towards another bout of civil war and blood-letting."

The CWU has just under 200,000 members.

Mr Ward said: "We reject the notion that Labour needs to move to the centre ground of British politics.

"The centre ground has moved significantly to the right in recent years."

The union is recommending Angela Eagle for deputy leader, with Caroline Flint as second preference.

Mr Corbyn has gone from being an outsider to a front runner in the contest to replace Ed Miliband, triggering warnings from senior party figures about a shift to the left.

He only made it onto the ballot paper at the last minute with the help of "borrowed" nominations from some MPs who did not plan to vote for him.

One of the favourites for the position of deputy Labour leader, Tom Watson, said Mr Corbyn would struggle to maintain party unity if he becomes leader, given his history of rebelling against the party line in Commons votes.

Mr Watson, a former deputy chairman of Labour, told the Huffington Post Labour members were "aware of this".

"It's their choice," he said.

"Whoever the members select, it's our duty to work with them."

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
I finally got round to registering as a supporter so I can vote for Full Corbynism.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Top OP, but I demand that the thread title be written in capitals.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Thanks, goons. I decided to honour the harking back to 1980s politics by harking back to the age of OPs with too many words in.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Mister Adequate posted:

How can kids that young look that inbred? How is that even a thing that is biologically possible? I don't want to want to punch a two-year-old in the face, but here we are.

I don't know, he's not that bad considering; look see!

He's inherited Kate's glossy shine, and William's vacant stare and lolling tongue. :v:

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
Tony Blair is an incompetant buffoon who was elected three times in spite of an unprecedented vote loss solely because the tories were somehow worse, and New Labour is an idiotic concept supported only by people who refuse to understand the context of literally anything. Nigel Farage rants about scroungers and foreigners while being paid double the average salary to refuse to engage in european politics, while being a privately educated rax avoiding charlatan.

Julian Brazer killed a young Italian man and used taxpayers money to settle the court fees.

The concept of PCCs are undemocratic to the point of absurdity and have cost the taxpayer millions to bring the police into disrepute on multiple occassions where, admittedly, they belong.

Government drug policy is racist and is a way to spend money killing poors and imprisoning blacks devised and furthered by people who like paying for cocaine on expenses.

If anyone says they can solve a societal issue and spends less than an hour explaining, they are lying or stupid or both.

Between 5-10% of the sitting government have raped children.

Britain is not, in any way or form, democratic.

All coppers are bastards who exist to protect rich paedophiles, and must be considered the enemy.

Anyone comparing household budgets with government ones is too stupid to be allowed to enter politics.

Our govrrnment ae illegitimate war criminals who murdered syrian militants with absolutely no mandate, after being the only government to lose a war vote.

Think thatll do for now.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Pesky Splinter posted:

I don't know, he's not that bad considering; look see!

He's inherited Kate's glossy shine, and William's vacant stare and lolling tongue. :v:

William's gonna look like a nonagenarian by the time he's 50.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Mister Adequate posted:

e; But yeah that's a pro-tier OP, great work there.

The royals were carefully handpicked to produce the least obvious inbreeding.
Due to budget cuts, filthy outside mudbloods have infected the glorious sibling loving line and all that inbreeding is bubbling up.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

One thing: you forgot the list of links to previous UK mega threads. Apart from that great OP

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

nothing to seehere posted:

One thing: you forgot the list of links to previous UK mega threads. Apart from that great OP

Look again

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Spangly A posted:

The concept of PCCs are undemocratic to the point of absurdity and have cost the taxpayer millions to bring the police into disrepute on multiple occassions where, admittedly, they belong.

Government drug policy is racist and is a way to spend money killing poors and imprisoning blacks devised and furthered by people who like paying for cocaine on expenses.
PCCs in Derbyshire, Dorset, Durham, and Surrey have done more for drug policy reform than any of the current cabinet member though. As have the undemocratic House of Lords with their pro trolling of the Psychoactive Substances Bill.

It's sad that it's hosed up enough that the PCCs and Lords see it, as did the 140k people that petitioned on cannabis law, but the Commons refuses to.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

I stand corrected

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Angepain posted:

Also I think there's an IRC channel somewhere but Question Time isn't even on at the moment so it might be a bit dead.

It's #ukgoons on synirc. Yes, Question Time is for the most part the highlight of our weeks but there are always people around and there's often heated debate on account of having a resident Tory Bastard or two. Generally if there's a political event of any kind there'll be people in the channel watchalonging it - also non-political events like the sheepdog championships. And then there's the general chitchat about topics including Europe, ale, the internet, what happens if you eat only bacon and egg sandwiches... the list goes on, really, and it doesn't at any point get more exciting.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Mister Adequate posted:

They're parting his hair from the right, which is a classic error. :v:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Kegluneq posted:

What in the living gently caress am I looking at here.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

crispix posted:

Cheers, I've put this in the OP.

M for Mushroom
Jan 1, 2006

new york london paris munich

Prince John posted:

Edit: ^^ This is an awesome OP.

Really sorry. :( Would it help to get some thoughts from UKMT for next time, or do you know where it all went wrong?
I'm not sure there's anything that would have helped. I knew it was going to be competency based but I still had to guess what on earth they'd actually ask, and for the most part I guessed wrong, so most of my preparation went to waste. Add in my big stupid mouth coming out with a couple of things that I probably shouldn't have said, and it had all the makings of an interview you have nightmares about for years afterwards. :sigh:

Kegluneq posted:

:smith::hf::smith:

Was it a proper job relating to your field of study? I just came out of a call centre job that had nothing to do with my PhD (lol) but was actually pretty cool and good, and being paid was just lovely.
It was, yes - first interview I'd been offered in many many applications. It's a shame, I think I would have really liked it (and though I daren't say what it was for, let's just say I'm pretty sure UKMT would have approved). Ah well :smith:

I'm going to have to move out of London if I don't find something else soon. Besides, if I'm going to be consigned to retail hell forever more I may as well do it back up in Yorkshire where housing alone won't cost me basically all my income...

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Kegluneq posted:

how enormously bizarre

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Guavanaut posted:

PCCs in Derbyshire, Dorset, Durham, and Surrey have done more for drug policy reform than any of the current cabinet member though.

wrong pccs. Police Chief Commissioners/constables are the four doing good things, poloce and crime commissioners are the neverending farce. Ann Barnes is my local, shes a bigger trainwreck than four cows on a track.

Also Ive been persuaded to run as a reform candidate :v:

top, top op too.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
Am I right in thinking all the petulant children stuff is aimed at dissuading fence-sitters from going for Corbyn or do they really think that Blair et al telling his supporters off for being naughty boys and girls will actually convince them?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

XMNN posted:

Am I right in thinking all the petulant children stuff is aimed at dissuading fence-sitters from going for Corbyn or do they really think that Blair et al telling his supporters off for being naughty boys and girls will actually convince them?
They're all secretly Corbynites using reverse psychology.

Except Blair, he is just wrong on everything.

Wrong on Corbyn, wrong on the causes of Corbyn.

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"
top op, op. one of the best in ages.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Spangly A posted:

Julian Brazer killed a young Italian man and used taxpayers money to settle the court fees.

This was a tragic accident rather than a deliberate killing.

quote:

I was on the wrong side of the road - it is every English driver's nightmare
Mr Brazier said he had negotiated a complicated four-way junction just before the crash

"On a hot afternoon on holiday, I turned right and must have gone onto the left hand side of the road," he said.

"As I approached a sharp S-bend a motorcyclist came round the corner, very fast, and collided, glancing off my wing."

The MP said that after the crash he used his vehicle to block the bend to prevent a further collision and tried to give first aid to the victim until the emergency services arrived.

Various sources say he got a top brain surgeon to fly out to Italy to help, but he arrived too late.

The motorcyclist's "extreme speed" around a blind S-bend was identified by the police as a factor in the collision which was why he was permitted by the prosecution to make the plea deal he did.

I haven't found any source suggesting he expensed his legal fees, even a ranting blog post, unless by "he used taxpayer's money" you mean "he spent his salary". Happy to be enlightened.

A bonus of all that googling is that you're going to love this website I found:

http://liarsbuggersandthieves.blogspot.co.uk/2006/11/tory-criminals.html

Prince John fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jul 31, 2015

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Prince John posted:

This was a tragic accident rather than a deliberate killing.

Various sources say he got a top brain surgeon to fly out to Italy to help, but he arrived too late.

The motorcyclist's "extreme speed" around a blind S-bend was identified by the police as a factor in the collision which was why he was permitted by the prosecution to make the plea deal he did.

I haven't found any source suggesting he expensed his legal fees, even a ranting blog post, unless by "he used taxpayer's money" you mean "he spent his salary". Happy to be enlightened.

A bonus of all that googling is that you're going to love this website I found:

http://liarsbuggersandthieves.blogspot.co.uk/2006/11/tory-criminals.html

Whoever put that website together believes being gay is a crime.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Jedit posted:

Well it used to be and the lay out of that site does look like it is from the 50s.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Jedit posted:

It was in 1958, to be fair, though that item is a bit strange, as the other ones are much more recent. Also apparently bringing home gay porn from Amsterdam is against the law?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jedit posted:

The only three specifically homosexual ones in there are Ian Harvey (public sex - still illegal), Tom Spencer (importation of pornography - huge grey area for all types of porn), and Michael Brown (guilty of unironically using 'get on' in his public statement - hanging offense).

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Holy poo poo I did a thread title.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Angepain posted:

It was in 1958, to be fair, though that item is a bit strange, as the other ones are much more recent. Also apparently bringing home gay porn from Amsterdam is against the law?

As Guavanaut said, porn is legal in the UK what isn't is importing it bizarrely. Its due to the way porn was decriminalised was a mess and it created this black hole in legislation. Specifically it is a 150 year old law that they haven't removed from the books. See here -

http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/l_to_o/obscene_publications/#b06

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
What's the turnaround been like on application processing, is it sorted by your local party or is it centralised? I helped them out at the election so hopefully they will work out I'm not a Tory pretty quickly.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

ukle posted:

As Guavanaut said, porn is legal in the UK what isn't is importing it bizarrely. Its due to the way porn was decriminalised was a mess and it created this black hole in legislation. Specifically it is a 150 year old law that they haven't removed from the books. See here -

http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/l_to_o/obscene_publications/#b06

doesnt that technically ban importing most comic books?

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out
im taking it as assumed that comic books corrupt children btw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

It's been fifteen days since I did my supporter thing and I've still not been confirmed.

• Locked thread