Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lfield
May 10, 2008
I like when Granny Weatherwax performs an abortion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

lfield posted:

I like when Granny Weatherwax performs an abortion.

Don't remember that, but I do remember she sorts out Deaths dodgy shoulder after beating him at a card game. :3:

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
I think Dan Brown is a bit dated to be the go-to author for criticising popular dreck, The Da Vinci code came out in 2003. It's like when you still hear people making jokes about Nickelback.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

OwlFancier posted:

Pratchett is adept at shattering the gestalt illusion of positivity which permeates social consciousness, but does so in a way which reinforces the need to foster that positivity with action. He is a reconstructionist author, deconstructing a lie while helping the reader to reconstruct it from base, worthy, principles.

going to memorise this and repeat it at parties, thanks.

Also I devoured Pratchett as a kid, so there's that, and on another point, last year or so when I was feeling ill for a while I needed a book that was easy to read while not completely insulting your intelligence and Small Gods and the rest of the Discworld took that role exactly.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

hookerbot 5000 posted:

I guess it depends on why you read. Or how you define 'better'. A Hundred Years of Solitude might be better than Small Gods or Guards Guards but it doesn't mean I enjoy it more or necessarily want to spend my spare time being horribly depressed.

This is what I was trying to get at, thanks.

Pork Pie Hat posted:

I'm honestly really glad that people like Pratchett, reading is always better than not reading, and reading (what are, to me, based on my limited survey) mediocre books is always better than reading Dan Brown.

The other half of what I was getting at, and why I mentioned Brown at all.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Hoops posted:

This is a good thing not a bad thing. He's acknowledging the problem and taking steps to correct it.

It's a good thing by certain metrics. Like its better than opposing the Tories on three issues or two issues. It's not as good as opposing them on say, seven issues.

Personally I think promising to oppose them on four issues is a very very low bar to set and no-where near enough to be credible.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
I read Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell that got a lot of hot take backlash against it (it's the one with the "10,000 hours to master a skill" idea if you're not familiar with it). But I don't care, it was really really interesting and I enjoyed it a whole bunch.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Hoops posted:

I read Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell that got a lot of hot take backlash against it (it's the one with the "10,000 hours to master a skill" idea if you're not familiar with it). But I don't care, it was really really interesting and I enjoyed it a whole bunch.

I thought the criticism of that was its actual claims of truth rather than any sort of literacy criticism.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

OwlFancier posted:

Are Pratchett's books long enough to be called novels? One of the things I liked about them was that they aren't very long.
I was about to say something about this. Discworld novels are not exactly long, a proficient reader could easily get through one in a couple of days of holiday. Add to that the fact that many of his fans have been reading them over the course of decades, and that's not exactly a major time sink (and also why the last book is being so looked forward to, maybe you should think about that Jones you complete bellend).

A 'novel' is literally just a fictional narrative written in prose though.

namesake posted:

That was the wizards, the witches had the power, used it when they had to but basically (like the wizards) knew that such power corrupts and so relied on actual medicine or psychological manipulation as a preference.

Edit: Hmm well the wizards used magic as well but mostly to show off to other wizards or conduct odd experiments at magic-CERN.
The witches and wizards were also at the opposite ends of the class spectrum. The wizards had a literal ivory tower and had political connections to the rulers of city states. The witches were common as muck (especially Nanny Ogg...) and represented the rural poor. Actual class awareness did come across most strongly in the Guards books though.

Edit: poo poo, sat on this post for too long. Just going to quote this-

OwlFancier posted:

I would say that Pratchett has written possibly the most effective and exceptional example of a virtuous allegory that I've read. Not because it's exceptionally virtuous, but because it's everyday virtuous. When you read it, it's difficult not to feel like there's a point being made which you already know, but didn't really get beforehand.

He doesn't say much new, but he says old things in a way that gets past your automatic dismissal of them as being trite, so that you realise that they aren't that trite, because they aren't as common in practice as you think.

To put on my literature wank hat, Pratchett is adept at shattering the gestalt illusion of positivity which permeates social consciousness, but does so in a way which reinforces the need to foster that positivity with action. He is a reconstructionist author, deconstructing a lie while helping the reader to reconstruct it from base, worthy, principles.
-because yeah, I agree despite the literature wank.

The 'abortion' referred to above happens in Carpe Jugulum, a pregnant farmer's wife is kicked by a cow and Granny Weatherwax plays Death at Poker - for the life of the mother, not the child. That's not a choice she would put on the farmer himself. Death loses when Granny produces four Queens. All he has is four ones. It's a great scene.

Kegluneq fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Aug 31, 2015

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

OwlFancier posted:

I can't help but feel someone who reads Discworld and criticised it for not having anything to say, is arguing instead that what it says is not superficially transgressive enough.

It doesn't set out to destroy your conception of reality, but what it does quite effectively, I think, is show in many small ways, constantly, that things we might take for granted are actually quite important. And in taking them for granted, we lose them.

You know, if there's one thing than irks me about Pratchett it's that he has this tendency to render entire swathes of human behaviour into these cute little aphorisms. When I was a kid it seemed insightful, and a good source of humour. Now that I'm older, though, it reads... well, horribly reductionist and more than a little misanthropic. It turns people into archetypes and prevents you from gaining any real understanding of them as individuals.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Kegluneq posted:

The witches and wizards were also at the opposite ends of the class spectrum. The wizards had a literal ivory tower and had political connections to the rulers of city states. The witches were common as muck (especially Nanny Ogg...) and represented the rural poor. Actual class awareness did come across most strongly in the Guards books though.

Vimes is a class traitor, no two ways about it.

ACAB applies to the Discworld too.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Autonomous Monster posted:

You know, if there's one thing than irks me about Pratchett it's that he has this tendency to render entire swathes of human behaviour into these cute little aphorisms. When I was a kid it seemed insightful, and a good source of humour. Now that I'm older, though, it reads... well, horribly reductionist and more than a little misanthropic. It turns people into archetypes and prevents you from gaining any real understanding of them as individuals.

"People need to believe the little lies to believe the big ones."

Reduction is useful as a vehicle for understanding, and the depth of his characters (and that they don't really fit into any archetype, or fit into so many as to be almost human) contrasts that I think quite well. The aphorisms may be grating sometimes, but the actual characters make it difficult to describe the books as entirely reductionist.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
The covers of his books are very detailed and can keep me entertained for hours.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

namesake posted:

All bastards are bastards, but some bastards is bastards.

quote:

"People need to believe the little lies to believe the big ones."

Reduction is useful as a vehicle for understanding, and the depth of his characters (and that they don't really fit into any archetype, or fit into so many as to be almost human) contrasts that I think quite well. The aphorisms may be grating sometimes, but the actual characters make it difficult to describe the books as entirely reductionist.
And hey, The Science of Discworld pointed out the importance of lies-to-children.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

hookerbot 5000 posted:

A Hundred Years of Solitude might be better than Small Gods or Guards Guards but it doesn't mean I enjoy it more or necessarily want to spend my spare time being horribly depressed.
True art is painful. That's why the best novel is a leather-bound edition of Richardson's Clarissa dropped on my balls.

The Nickelodeon TV adaptation was the superior work though.

Also I suspect that the Jonathan Jones subscribes to the idea that things that are amusing can't be serious art. It definitely comes across in his writing.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Darth Walrus posted:

This is a weird rule of thumb with Pratchett - his kids' books are typically more serious (and often grimmer) than his adult books.

Roald Dahl, if nothing else, should have taught us that kids goddamn love grim and gruesome.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Guavanaut posted:

Also I suspect that the Jonathan Jones subscribes to the idea that things that are amusing can't be serious art. It definitely comes across in his writing.

I don't know about that, I read his work and simply roar with laughter.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

namesake posted:

I don't know about that, I read his work and simply roar with laughter.
Exactly, he thinks it's high journalism and serious business, I think it's hilarious and chip wrapping.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

namesake posted:

Why did you keep going? Sounds like a sunk cost fallacy...

Because I felt that I shouldn't criticize them until I'd actually read them.
That said, I got 2/3 of the way through Twilight before quitting, not because the story is bad, the characters and boring or the plot is absurd- just it's so badly written.
And Atlas Shrugged I quit just after they discover the free-energy machine, again, as it was just so badly written, but also the characters you're meant to admire are just hateful.
(I also got a refund from Amazon Kindle for The Wasp Factory, as I couldn't read the depictions of animal torture).

I Love Pratchett, but I can see the problem getting into it from nothing - the Better novels are further along the story-arcs, so, for example to get to The Fifth Elephant and get the in-jokes and plot points, you have to have read Guards! Guards! (which isn't that good), Men-At-Arms(which is better) and so on - even the Wyches starts with the really not-very-good Equal Rites.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Always thought they were overated myself but its just loving harmless fun, not quite sure why this dude has his knickers in a twist, i know what im reading if offered the choice of jane austin or pratchett.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

namesake posted:

Vimes is pretty aware of his status as class traitor though, and is pretty ambivalent about his rise into the aristocracy. Hence the Sam Vimes 'Boots' Theory of Socioeconomic Unfairness.

'Billy Skunkins is a brass stud!'

Renfield posted:

I Love Pratchett, but I can see the problem getting into it from nothing - the Better novels are further along the story-arcs, so, for example to get to The Fifth Elephant and get the in-jokes and plot points, you have to have read Guards! Guards! (which isn't that good), Men-At-Arms(which is better) and so on - even the Wyches starts with the really not-very-good Equal Rites.
Equal Rites is corny but also his first 'issues' storyline (book 3 of the series as a whole). Wyrd Sisters is a much better place to begin for the Witches series though.

Also, if we're onto the sunk cost fallacy, that's probably why I'm up to book 9 of Wheel of Time.

Kegluneq fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Aug 31, 2015

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

Kegluneq posted:

Hence the Sam Vimes 'Boots' Theory of Socioeconomic Unfairness.

This is worth quoting, for those that haven't read it, mostly cos it's true:

Captain Vimes posted:

The reason that the rich were so rich, Vimes reasoned, was because they managed to spend less money.

Take boots, for example. He earned thirty-eight dollars a month plus allowances. A really good pair of leather boots cost fifty dollars. But an affordable pair of boots, which were sort of OK for a season or two and then leaked like hell when the cardboard gave out, cost about ten dollars. Those were the kind of boots Vimes always bought, and wore until the soles were so thin that he could tell where he was in Ankh-Morpork on a foggy night by the feel of the cobbles.

But the thing was that good boots lasted for years and years. A man who could afford fifty dollars had a pair of boots that'd still be keeping his feet dry in ten years' time, while the poor man who could only afford cheap boots would have spent a hundred dollars on boots in the same time and would still have wet feet.

This was the Captain Samuel Vimes 'Boots' theory of socioeconomic unfairness.

Kegluneq posted:

Also, if we're onto the sunk cost fallacy, that's probably why I'm up to book 9 of Wheel of Time.
Stick with it - those couple of books are the worse, as he was ill and not getting the editing he needed - the last 3 written by Brandon Sanderson make wading though them worth it !

Renfield fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Aug 31, 2015

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
just voted Kendall/Flint

Pratchett is good

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Hoops posted:

I think Dan Brown is a bit dated to be the go-to author for criticising popular dreck, The Da Vinci code came out in 2003. It's like when you still hear people making jokes about Nickelback.

In fairness, Nickelback are still absolutely dreadful though. But yes, isn't 50 Shades your more contemporary version of awful fiction that everyone seems to read?

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Renfield posted:

This is worth quoting, for those that haven't read it, mostly cos it's true:
I'm not sure how much it hurts the argument there that not only does Vimes end up swapping his expensive boots for cheap ones (iirc), his knowledge of cobblestones felt through cheap soles is essential to the plot. It is still broadly true though.

quote:

Stick with it - those couple of books are the worse, as he was ill and not getting the editing he needed - the last 3 written by Brandon Sanderson make wading though them worth it !
I have heard that so will stick with it. The last few books have badly needed editing, to the extent they should really only have been one book.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Kegluneq posted:

I'm not sure how much it hurts the argument there that not only does Vimes end up swapping his expensive boots for cheap ones (iirc), his knowledge of cobblestones felt through cheap soles is essential to the plot. It is still broadly true though.

I feel like that was part of it, to show he was an unusual case. By keeping his cheap shoes Vimes was still the same pleb he was or whatever and not one of those people who gets changed by wealth. As in, most people with money would choose to be comfortable, but Vimes chose to be uncomfortable and a better policeman.

The logical thing to do would to have gotten expensive long-lasting shoes with thinner soles, but I don't know if the Ankh-Morpork shoemaking industry is capable of that, and he'd be too proud of resisting the status of wealth to do that anyway. Fictional Shoe Practicalities Chat is the best chat.

Angepain fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Aug 31, 2015

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a Superstar in possession of a title belt, must be in want of a beer.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Discworld is life changing because I now save up and buy expensive shoes which last longer than cheap ones.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Pork Pie Hat posted:

I'll accept that they may be on the weaker end of a 40-part series, but based on those I don't particularly feel the need to read the remaining 38 to find a few that may be better. If there was a general consensus to a best one or two then I will happily see the error of my ways and give those a try.

Small Gods is generally considered his best book, though I think people tend to exaggerate when they say it is Literature. That said, I don't think Literature/Not-Literature is a useful distinction.

Pratchett was not a wordsmith so don't expect great flights of language. He was, however, a clever and knowledgeable man and his biggest strength was probably the way he could incorporate that into his writing - from blunt parody to rather esoteric references.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

Kegluneq posted:

I have heard that so will stick with it. The last few books have badly needed editing, to the extent they should really only have been one book.

I've actually just started re-reading them, as I needed something for a 7 hour round trip on the train to Wales - the first one is still Very good, and I remember skipping the endless descriptions of what the women are wearing over, and over again.

The last couple Jordan wrote get better, but suffer from following too many plot-lines at once, so as I was getting the books as they came out, not much happens in each story - so 18 months later, Rand's story has advanced by a week. And wait for the next book.

Sandersons conclusion, while still having the same feel to the writing, just flowed better- there just easier to read than the others, and even though Jordan died, the story is ended well, as it should be.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Are Pratchett's books long enough to be called novels? One of the things I liked about them was that they aren't very long.

Small Gods clocks in at 90,000 words. The minimum wordcount for NaNoWriMo is 50,000.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

One of the good things I liked about Lord Of The Rings was that the bits with Sam and Frodo having their date are helpfully sectioned off in their own books and chapters so you can ignore them and read about the fighting instead.

Darth Walrus posted:

Small Gods clocks in at 90,000 words. The minimum wordcount for NaNoWriMo is 50,000.

Maybe it's because he wrote other things than just novels.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Angepain posted:

I feel like that was part of it, to show he was an unusual case. By keeping his cheap shoes Vimes was still the same pleb he was or whatever and not one of those people who gets changed by wealth. As in, most people with money would choose to be comfortable, but Vimes chose to be uncomfortable and a better policeman.

The logical thing to do would to have gotten expensive long-lasting shoes with thinner soles, but I don't know if the Ankh-Morpork shoemaking industry is capable of that, and he'd be too proud of resisting the status of wealth to do that anyway. Fictional Shoe Practicalities Chat is the best chat.

However due to his change of standing he's not some copper with crap shoes helping him do his job, he's a pillar of society keeping in touch with the commoner with an eccentric choice of footwear.

He looks at the world through his feet, the world can offer him no such return.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

namesake posted:

However due to his change of standing he's not some copper with crap shoes helping him do his job, he's a pillar of society keeping in touch with the commoner with an eccentric choice of footwear.

Though that raises the interesting question: He doesn't change much as a person, so what's the difference? That he is a pillar of society is a decision society has made, not him, and suggests he was just as worthy of the status before he got rich, or just as unworthy of it now that he is.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

One of the good things I liked about Lord Of The Rings was that the bits with Sam and Frodo having their date are helpfully sectioned off in their own books and chapters so you can ignore them and read about the fighting instead.
The Game of Thrones books are good for this too, you can skip ahead to see if a character survives further into the story.

namesake posted:

No one in the upper classes is mad, just eccentric! But Vimes is a 'jumped-up copper to the nobs, and a nob to the rest'.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

UnCO3 posted:

just voted Kendall/Flint

Pratchett is good

Good work.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008
I'm pretty sure in Jingo, he describes one of the Lords as so out of touch he denies reality

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Kegluneq posted:

No one in the upper classes is mad, just eccentric! But Vimes is a 'jumped-up copper to the nobs, and a nob to the rest'.

Yes his discomfort is that of the nouveau riche. He feels apart from both classes and he's right to do so but he still (grudging) acts according to his new upper class role.

Basically Sam Jr is probably going to be a bit of prick.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

namesake posted:

Yes his discomfort is that of the nouveau riche. He feels apart from both classes and he's right to do so but he still (grudging) acts according to his new upper class role.

I think he mostly does that because Sybil tells him to, he usually finds an excuse to go do police stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
He's going to go to a good school and do well.

• Locked thread