Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

You put more thought into responding than MPs put into policy. I believe that specific part of my post is called muddying the water.

Frankly I'd quite like to be sued and demonstrate some of the other points, as I imagine backing up most of the specifics on the internet would open up legal issues harder to deal with. But thats not happening because of vague posts on an internet comedy forum.

And finally, Julian Brazier is a piece of poo poo for many reasons. But thanks for the response; I suppose I should be sure to tailor personal attacks better.

Julian Brazier is a poor hating militarist jingoistic homophobe who violated road law with fatal consequences, and the Italian legal system is not a reluable source on the matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

XMNN posted:

Am I right in thinking all the petulant children stuff is aimed at dissuading fence-sitters from going for Corbyn or do they really think that Blair et al telling his supporters off for being naughty boys and girls will actually convince them?

They genuinely believe that they and only they get to decide the direction of the Labour party, that the membership needs to shut up and get back in its box and that a sharp rebuke from the Great and Good opinion formers will be quite sufficient to achieve this.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Kegluneq posted:

They're parting his hair from the right, which is a classic error. :v:

:wtc: is this phrenological bullshit??

He said, having a sort of right hand parting

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Pistol_Pete posted:

They genuinely believe that they and only they get to decide the direction of the Labour party, that the membership needs to shut up and get back in its box and that a sharp rebuke from the Great and Good opinion formers will be quite sufficient to achieve this.

The membership elected us therefore they must listen to us.

loving morons the lot of them.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

XMNN posted:

What's the turnaround been like on application processing, is it sorted by your local party or is it centralised? I helped them out at the election so hopefully they will work out I'm not a Tory pretty quickly.
Mine seemed to be instantaneous, which is worrying. I'm on their mailing list as a proper supporter at least.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Renaissance Robot posted:

:wtc: is this phrenological bullshit??

He said, having a sort of right hand parting

That link is all kinds of batshit but this is a recognised trope in character design. Check out Pete Campbell's hair vs. that of Don Draper in Mad Men, for instance.

(My guess is it has more to do with handedness than gender, with the associated connotations.)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It sort of falls flat a bit when you have long hair because if you part it anywhere but the center it makes you look like a tit. I have to center part because otherwise one side of my head looks about twice as big as the other and I look like some sort of mutant freak.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

It sort of falls flat a bit when you have long hair because if you part it anywhere but the center it makes you look like a tit. I have to center part because otherwise one side of my head looks about twice as big as the other and I look like some sort of mutant freak.
Centre partings have a significance of their own! Which I'm not going to explain because it's really stupid.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Kegluneq posted:

Centre partings have a significance of their own! Which I'm not going to explain because it's really stupid.
Is it this http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7444537.stm ?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Kegluneq posted:

Yes I read it. It's dumb.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Acaila posted:

It's been fifteen days since I did my supporter thing and I've still not been confirmed.

I've had a slew of confusing emails but nothing I would call an actual confirmation. One acknowledging receipt of my application, one welcoming me as a member (?) of the labour party and a bunch of campaign messages from the candidates. I think their whole system is hosed to be honest.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I'm getting that impression too. I got an email thanking me for signing up as a supporter (using my Unison membership) and nothing since; they're supposed to be checking in with my Unison reps I think. I need to chase it next week to make sure I'll be able to vote.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's time for another "gently caress the London Property Market!"

This delightful box room of despair has its own fantastic chandelier! Very upper-middle class.

Comes complete with kitchen/lounge/diner/every other room. (And a toilet/shower off to the side.)

All for the low low price of £780pcm or £180 a week.

To be fair, it does come with gas and water included so you could run a generator set off of the gas line and kill yourself with the exhaust instead of living in London.

Weldon Pemberton
May 19, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

You're hilariously wrong, center-parted long hair makes you look like a member of Hanson.

I part my hair from the left, but used to part it from the right (I changed it because I had to bleach over a bad dye job and there was less breakage on the left side) and my fringe still hasn't gotten the memo, as it sweeps right. Not sure if this has any psychological effect on the viewer, maybe confusion and distrust.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Guavanaut posted:

This delightful box room of despair has its own fantastic chandelier! Very upper-middle class.

Comes complete with kitchen/lounge/diner/every other room. (And a toilet/shower off to the side.)

To be fair, it does come with gas and water included so you could run a generator set off of the gas line and kill yourself with the exhaust instead of living in London.

I've been looking for a new place in Bristol (my current flat is nice but really too expensive for me) and honestly I've seen places not dissimilar to that. Although admittedly at half the price. I miss Scotland where I was paying £270/month all in :(

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
Think this has come up before but I forgot to do it.

But if you haven't already filled in the BBC public consultation, do it -
https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/bbc-charter-review-public-consultation

Takes about 30 minutes to do (19 questions and all of them are very loaded/biased) so be prepared.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Acaila posted:

It's been fifteen days since I did my supporter thing and I've still not been confirmed.

Same here except that they just emailed be today to tell me that for the third time I'm not on the electoral register. I'm not on the open register, so maybe that's the problem. That or my Facebook header of Nicola Sturgeon beheading Jim Murphy.

Also good OP

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Guavanaut posted:

Must say that even with all the coverage London housing gets I was still surprised when I had a look at rightmove after a job offer. :pwn:
Admittedly I'm looking at stuff that's in zone 1 but still...amazing.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Captain Mediocre posted:

I've had a slew of confusing emails but nothing I would call an actual confirmation. One acknowledging receipt of my application, one welcoming me as a member (?) of the labour party and a bunch of campaign messages from the candidates. I think their whole system is hosed to be honest.

Yeah this happened to me exactly as you describe. I called them up again to confirm I was actually registered and it turns out payment hadn't been taken. I asked the guy if I could just pay over the phone and gave him my card details - the £3 has now been taken from account and I have an email (from Harriet Harman no less, written personally by her I'm sure) that mentions I'll be getting ballot papers. If I don't I'll be pretty mad and will demand my £3 back!

In other news I've taken a bit of a jump into stupid territory and bunged a hundred quid on Corbyn for next PM at 10/1 in a fit of drunken optimism. No taking it back now... Pissed that I did it when I did, he was 25/1 last week but I hadn't been paid then.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Re: PR chat in the July thread:

One of my problems with AMS is the same with most list systems, is that the further down the list you go, it tends to be filled up with party activists that, while meaning well for their parties, are woefully unprepared or unsuitable for election. So if a party gets a right pasting in the constituency elections — say, Labour in Scotland in 2011 — those same people get elected without meaning to.

STV is clearly the best system; its proportional and preferential, and as a multi-member system, nearly everyone gets a constituency MP who shares their values. :colbert:

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

Could you guys who have phoned let me know where you got the right contact details? I had a look but couldn't see anything useful on the website.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Gum posted:

doesnt that technically ban importing most comic books?

just wonder woman

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

ThomasPaine posted:

Yeah this happened to me exactly as you describe. I called them up again to confirm I was actually registered and it turns out payment hadn't been taken. I asked the guy if I could just pay over the phone and gave him my card details - the £3 has now been taken from account and I have an email (from Harriet Harman no less, written personally by her I'm sure) that mentions I'll be getting ballot papers. If I don't I'll be pretty mad and will demand my £3 back!

I just got the Harriet Harman one too, but I'm a little concerned that in some of their emails they refer to me as 'Barbara'.

My name is not Barbara.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Acaila posted:

Could you guys who have phoned let me know where you got the right contact details? I had a look but couldn't see anything useful on the website.

It's on the rejection emails they send when they can't match your details. As far as I can tell it's just the central Labour Party line - 0845 0922299

e: Surprisingly all of my dealings with them on the phone have been painless. They answer quickly and are by and large very polite and helpful.

e2:

Captain Mediocre posted:

I just got the Harriet Harman one too, but I'm a little concerned that in some of their emails they refer to me as 'Barbara'.

My name is not Barbara.

gently caress knows! As others have said they seem to be winging it a little with the whole thing. I'm guessing they've been overwhelmed by the number of Torys/Trots/supporters signing up.

e3: Oh by the way, the guy on the phone mentioned that their systems get into trouble if you've moved house recently (in which case giving them your old address should work) or if you live in a flat because of the way the database is set up. If either of those are the case that's probably it and you should mention it.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jul 31, 2015

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Captain Mediocre posted:

My name is not Barbara.
That's just her way of talking to people. If she gets into power, your name will legally be Barbara.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Look I haven't got a problem with this OP personally but what I have got a problem with is its positioning and content. Look at these loony posters:

Prince John posted:

Edit: ^^ This is an awesome OP.

Autonomous Monster posted:

This OP. I like this loving OP.

OwlFancier posted:

Best OP in ages, OP.

Pesky Splinter posted:

Yes. This. This is a good OP.

This thread is behaving like a petulant child who has been told you can’t have the sweeties in the sweetshop. If this thread is to have any chance of being stickied, we must have a sensible OP that says nothing and looks pretty.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

KKKlean Energy posted:

Look I haven't got a problem with this OP personally but what I have got a problem with is its positioning and content. Look at these loony posters:

This thread is behaving like a petulant child who has been told you can’t have the sweeties in the sweetshop. If this thread is to have any chance of being stickied, we must have a sensible OP that says nothing and looks pretty.

:effort:

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Wow That Philip Collins article from the end of the last thread.

I don't think it's possible to say "I value power over principles, you loving pleb" in a more condescending manner .

I mean wow holy poo poo, I didn't know they stacked poo poo that high

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Kegluneq posted:

That link is all kinds of batshit but this is a recognised trope in character design. Check out Pete Campbell's hair vs. that of Don Draper in Mad Men, for instance.

(My guess is it has more to do with handedness than gender, with the associated connotations.)

I'm actually ambidextrous and do switch my parting fairly frequently...

...nah, bullshit.

OwlFancier posted:

If you want a side parting just tell your hairdresser, they can undercut the large side and/or volumise the off side so they come out correctly proportionate to each other.

Alternate option, consider getting your fringe/top cut shorter so you can style that bit as flexibly as mid length hair whilst still having length in the back and sides; I did for a while and it was awesome (like this but with shorter layers on top, also not poo poo because I actually brushed it regularly, also I'm not a woman)

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

:drat: that's amazing

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Renaissance Robot posted:

If you want a side parting just tell your hairdresser, they can undercut the large side and/or volumise the off side so they come out correctly proportionate to each other.

Alternate option, consider getting your fringe/top cut shorter so you can style that bit as flexibly as mid length hair whilst still having length in the back and sides; I did for a while and it was awesome (like this but with shorter layers on top, also not poo poo because I actually brushed it regularly, also I'm not a woman)

I dislike having my hair cut to different lengths because it doesn't tie back properly and ends up poking me in the eye. Also I can't really style it or anything because it's too thick. If you volumised it any more I'd end up with an afro.

I like the center parting really. Looks better than lopsided partings I think. I just don't really have a great deal of choice in the matter. I don't mind looking like a homeless muslim beethoven.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

OwlFancier posted:

I dislike having my hair cut to different lengths because it doesn't tie back properly and ends up poking me in the eye.

Ha, point. Mucking about with pins and combs is kind of a pain in the arse, and one of the reasons I eventually got it all cut off. :shobon: (also sorry for assuming sight unseen that your deal was anything at all like mine, it's a bad habit I need to kick)

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Hahahaha holy poo poo that's amazing :perfect:

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Aww, youguys.... :3: also lol @ The Guardian > Comment is Free > Middle-class hand-wringing

When Burnham or Cooper wins, we should accept the judgement of the people and have an OP made entirely of meaningless soundbites. Get some focus groups going.
When Liz Kendall wins, I dunno, move to Canada? Their angry beard guy seems to be doing okay, at least.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

M for Mushroom posted:

Well I just completely hosed up the one job interview I've managed to get in months of trying.

Back to graduate unemployment with me!

I hope FULL CORBYNISM comes with FULL CORBYNPLOYMENT before the Tories send me off to the camps or something
this is completely unsolicited, but: if you've got time to burn retraining and all you want is a steady, well paid career, sit down an learn a programming language. demand is obscene, and six months' study and a few projects will likely see you into an easy £20-£30k. you don't need a technical background or any qualifications. you just need the drive to power through a few books on webdev/java/c#/whatever, and to write a project or two using what you've learnt. stick the projects on github, stick your github on your cv, and apply for entry-level programming jobs. you will be bounced from a lot of interviews, but the numbers are on your side: there are an awful lot more software jobs going right now than there are software developers

e: this assumes you live near a reasonably-sized city. there are no jobs in the wilderness

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jul 31, 2015

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

coffeetable posted:

this is completely unsolicited, but: if you've got time to burn retraining and all you want is a steady, well paid career, sit down an learn a programming language. demand is obscene, and six months' study and a few projects will likely see you into an easy £20-£30k. you don't need a technical background or any qualifications. you just need the drive to power through a few books on webdev/java/c#/whatever, and to write a project or two using what you've learnt. stick the projects on github, stick your github on your cv, and apply for entry-level programming jobs. you will be bounced from a lot of interviews, but the numbers are on your side: there are an awful lot more software jobs going right now than there are software developers

but you see telling someone to retrain is BOOTSTRAPS

also corbyn is the best candidate:

if he loses this thread and the left explode in a sinister show of drama
if he wins the UK has to deal w/ a lefty opposition leader dicking w/ government

good news all around!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Guavanaut posted:

The only three specifically homosexual ones in there are Ian Harvey (public sex - still illegal), Tom Spencer (importation of pornography - huge grey area for all types of porn), and Michael Brown (guilty of unironically using 'get on' in his public statement - hanging offense).

You missed Greg Walker, who apparently deserves to be lumped in with paedophiles and rapists for having a homosexual relationship and refusing to stand down as MP over it in the face of local party activists being shits.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

coffeetable posted:

e: this assumes you live near a reasonably-sized city. there are no jobs in the wilderness

Wouldn't such jobs be among those you could realistically work from home on? Is there freelancing work of that nature around? I know if you do graphic design or writing or something similar, you can bring in some money (probably not enough to live on for most people, but), I'd have thought programming would be a top job for hermits though.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

coffeetable posted:

Not everyone is suited for coding so this is far from a universal solution but definitely more are suited than realise it. Can't speak for all companies but where I work they're more interested in whether you can think than your depth of technical knowledge (so long as you do at least have some).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Mister Adequate posted:

I'd have thought programming would be a top job for hermits though.
it is, but a candidate with only six months study and no previous professional experience is gonna have a hard time getting reliable contract work. meanwhile there are a thousand entry-level webdev/bizdev positions which'll settle for the first person to pass fizzbuzz

e: if anyone's interest is piqued by all this, i'd recommend starting with Think Python. pros are that it's free and very well written. cons are that there aren't as many python jobs as there are java or javascript jobs. fortunately once you've learnt one programming language, the next one comes far easier, so studying python then something else later is a perfectly reasonable approach

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jul 31, 2015

• Locked thread