Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
It is vast quantities of sodium chloride, right there. He's still too loving good though. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Shockeh posted:

It is vast quantities of sodium chloride, right there. He's still too loving good though. :v:

He's pretty bad tho. He's definitely behind Chel, Dauntless and Edge, and probably behind Crow too.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

Dias posted:

He's pretty bad tho. He's definitely behind Chel, Dauntless and Edge, and probably behind Crow too.

I think because he's rarer when you run into a good one there's a feeling of helplessness and shock vs. the billion Chels and Edges you fight where you've seen most of the dirty tricks before.

Edit: as a complete scrub the game is still fun, even though down in garbage tier the addition of Talos' spammable command throw changed things a lot.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
He has the highest win percentage (and lowest population percentage), that's gonna lead to some weird matchup knowledge

Lavender Philtrum
May 16, 2011

Sade posted:

Just to be clear, the combo indicator came up and said 29 hits after this was done, right?

Yeppers. Tried to take a screenshot but was in fullscreen so it came out blank.

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008
streaming some master dauntless again https://www.twitch.tv/draynir (internet making GBS threads out on me so stopped)

Draynar fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Aug 22, 2015

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Admittedly I haven't played in two weeks, but I got destroyed with Edge by my first ever Vlad matchup, who obviously knew what he was doing as I would use Gathering Storm to eat up a missile. At the same time, he perfectly timed a jump-in for damage. I definitely made some mistakes (I kept hitting specials instead of normals) and failed to punish him once or twice (or at least when it was obvious considering my lack of familiarity with the matchup), but what should I be doing in that match? What are my preferred moves?

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008
Letting everyone know that Yay! I'm Legend Dauntless!

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008
New patch! http://risingthunder.com/2015/08/25/patch-notes-build-1312/

And as always chill with goons on synirc #risingthunder

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

zib got fleas...

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Apparently Chell was overpowered or something.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Chel got hit on every front simultaneously. Lowered damage, range, and fireball recovery 'normalised' (LOL) to the slowest of the speeds it can be.

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008

Shockeh posted:

Chel got hit on every front simultaneously. Lowered damage, range, and fireball recovery 'normalised' (LOL) to the slowest of the speeds it can be.

Sadly I immediately got destroyed by a Legendary Chel after this patch:\ She's still insanely solid. Not really sure if any of the new moves they added are worth a drat thought. (Chel has a new one and Talos)

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
She's becoming way too reliant on throws now people are showing more caution. Remember - She has NO overhead option. You can down/back all day and all she can do is poke her safer buttons and hope you do something.

If she's against a life lead, what's she supposed to do?

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Chel's new move is really really bad.

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.
I've just started playing this game and I lost 20 rounds and matches in a row

Is Crow jsut a bad Character to start with?
Does 30 FPS put me at a terrible disadvantage?
Do I have to learn all the fighting game vocabulary before I can understand what is happening?

I feel really lost and despite my solemn oath to myself to not frustrated, I got a little fed up by Chel's and Dauntless's laughing :(

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

skipThings posted:

Do I have to learn all the fighting game vocabulary before I can understand what is happening?

yes
yes
no

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

You should always play a character that you want to play versus ones that will get you wins, but you should be aware that some characters are easier to learn the game on than others no matter what game you play

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

skipThings posted:

I've just started playing this game and I lost 20 rounds and matches in a row

I feel really lost and despite my solemn oath to myself to not frustrated, I got a little fed up by Chel's and Dauntless's laughing :(

1 - He's...complicated. His gameplan revolves around capitalizing on knockdowns, which is a hard concept for a newbie to grasp and also requires some time in the training mode learning setups and generally making your attacks hard to block correctly. And since he's so strong offensively, he's weak defensively, so better players will get the upper hand on you if you make a mistake. You might wanna try Dauntless or Edge, but if Crow is your dude, just keep at it.

2 - Yeah, pretty much. Mostly why I haven't been playing this game, my laptop sucks and I can't run the game on 60FPS even with everything on low. (1.7ghz i5 with a 840M, for reference)

3 - Nah. All you need to know is STOP JUMPING TO MOVE AROUND, punish people for jumping to move around, if you do something dumb and slow you should dash and cancel it and everyone will use their invincible move to get up.

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

90% of the people i see struggling with fighting games can double their win rates if they just block more instead of trying to beat everything

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

Shockeh posted:

what's she supposed to do?

This is actually a question about footsies. Throwing isn't really the primary strategy here (even though Chel can combo super from it, which is quite baller), but it opens the door. The exchange basically boils down to this: If you move toward the opponent and they do nothing then they will get thrown. At some point they will have to "press a button" to stop you moving forward. Pressing a button exposes them to attack. Your offense then becomes trying to predict what they will do and when (ish).

Assuming most people will throw out a poke to stop you advancing, Chel's hop kick becomes a monster, especially since it can be hit confirmed into DP for a combo. You can also try to footsie them in a more traditional way with well spaced cr.H's or close (ish) fireballs. If they learn to respect these options and stop attacking you that opens them back up to throw and the cycle begins anew.

Of course in reality it's more complex because you might be fighting someone whose response to your movement might be jumping (where you have to account for each direction differently), a "random" DP or super, or maybe walking back or even backdashing. All of these options have weaknesses as well including ones you can use on reaction. It's hard to account for all of these things at once obviously (FIGHTING GAMES) so you need to get a sense for what your opponent tends to do from each similar situation and go for a read when you need it.

Chel's above average "run" speed and super dope cross-up also make going in for a cross-up from footsies a good option occasionally. A lot of the good Chel's I fight do this a lot actually since it can be so hard to DP her if she gets the spacing right.

Anyway I hope that helps, feel free to call me an idiot!

edit: It's worth noting the guy that wrote the footsies handbook is directly working on this game, reading (or re-reading) some of this stuff might help a lot!

Trykt fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Aug 27, 2015

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Trykt posted:

This is actually a question about footsies. Throwing isn't really the primary strategy here (even though Chel can combo super from it, which is quite baller), but it opens the door. The exchange basically boils down to this: If you move toward the opponent and they do nothing then they will get thrown. At some point they will have to "press a button" to stop you moving forward. Pressing a button exposes them to attack. Your offense then becomes trying to predict what they will do and when (ish).

Assuming most people will throw out a poke to stop you advancing, Chel's hop kick becomes a monster, especially since it can be hit confirmed into DP for a combo. You can also try to footsie them in a more traditional way with well spaced cr.H's or close (ish) fireballs. If they learn to respect these options and stop attacking you that opens them back up to throw and the cycle begins anew.

Of course in reality it's more complex because you might be fighting someone whose response to your movement might be jumping (where you have to account for each direction differently), a "random" DP or super, or maybe walking back or even backdashing. All of these options have weaknesses as well including ones you can use on reaction. It's hard to account for all of these things at once obviously (FIGHTING GAMES) so you need to get a sense for what your opponent tends to do from each similar situation and go for a read when you need it.

Chel's above average "run" speed and super dope cross-up also make going in for a cross-up from footsies a good option occasionally. A lot of the good Chel's I fight do this a lot actually since it can be so hard to DP her if she gets the spacing right.

Anyway I hope that helps, feel free to call me an idiot!

edit: It's worth noting the guy that wrote the footsies handbook is directly working on this game, reading (or re-reading) some of this stuff might help a lot!

I don't think he was stating this from an actual "I don't know what she's supposed to do", it's more noting they nerfed everything Chel had, including her far-reaching, kinda fast sweep (which is unsafe on block) and she's already not that great offensively. The point about her f+M still stands true, however - she has a very SF4 Rose-ish type of pressure, where you have a hit-confirmable airborne move and a good throw. You can open up people that way.

My problem is that, really, Chel's buttons aren't...very good. gently caress, her fireball isn't that good, it has pretty big recovery. She isn't this unstoppable neutral game monster. If this wasn't an alpha, I'd think that was a stupid nerf.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

Dias posted:

I don't think he was stating this from an actual "I don't know what she's supposed to do", it's more noting they nerfed everything Chel had, including her far-reaching, kinda fast sweep (which is unsafe on block) and she's already not that great offensively. The point about her f+M still stands true, however - she has a very SF4 Rose-ish type of pressure, where you have a hit-confirmable airborne move and a good throw. You can open up people that way.

My problem is that, really, Chel's buttons aren't...very good. gently caress, her fireball isn't that good, it has pretty big recovery. She isn't this unstoppable neutral game monster. If this wasn't an alpha, I'd think that was a stupid nerf.

To be fair, almost no one has great buttons in this game. Like, there's some individual ones that can be pretty decent, but there's no Chun/Bison equivalent.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

CaptCommy posted:

To be fair, almost no one has great buttons in this game. Like, there's some individual ones that can be pretty decent, but there's no Chun/Bison equivalent.

Yeah, you're not wrong. It's one of the things I don't really like about the game, honestly. Slow walkspeeds and bad buttons are kinda annoying, and I'd take a massive nerf to her uppercut if I could get a better zoning/anti-air normal.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

Dias posted:

I don't think he was stating this from an actual "I don't know what she's supposed to do"

Strongly disagree, and also the sentiment just doesn't hold because saying a character has no options because they don't have an overhead is false for exactly the reasons I outlined (protip: Ryu doesn't open people up in SF4 because of his overhead, that poo poo is lol), Chel is no exception and can absolutely go on offense

I think if playing a footsies range keepaway game isn't your style then Chel just isn't the character for you anyway.

Also screw you guys her f.M is deffo a "great button", they don't even have hop kicks that good in SF4!

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Trykt posted:

Strongly disagree, and also the sentiment just doesn't hold because saying a character has no options because they don't have an overhead is false for exactly the reasons I outlined (protip: Ryu doesn't open people up in SF4 because of his overhead, that poo poo is lol), Chel is no exception and can absolutely go on offense

I think if playing a footsies range keepaway game isn't your style then Chel just isn't the character for you anyway.

Also screw you guys her f.M is deffo a "great button", they don't even have hop kicks that good in SF4!

I just don't like her buttons, everything other than sweep is either stubby or slow coming from an SF4 background. f.M is great, but I don't know if it's great in neutral, armor makes it eat poo poo, it doesn't put you in that great of a position and it's not that fast - it feels like a better Cody hop kick to me, but without a better training mode I can't tell if I'm being too cautious with it. Hell, I'm not even gonna front, maybe I'm too much of a bad and can't use it that well. Other than that I wasn't really disagreeing with you, hehe. Chel is still good, probably top 3 even with the weird nerfs.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

Dias posted:

armor makes it eat poo poo

Not to ignore your other points but can't you just DP anyway to blow up armor poo poo?

The Talos match-up turned into a whole new world for me when I started using meaties buffered into invincible moves on him.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Trykt posted:

Not to ignore your other points but can't you just DP anyway to blow up armor poo poo?

The Talos match-up turned into a whole new world for me when I started using meaties buffered into invincible moves on him.

Oh, sure. I'm focusing more on its neutral use, you could probably buffer DP into it even then but it feels too risky for me. Basically I like to use it like Rose's cl.MK, not like a poke. Maybe I should try throwing it out more often.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Since they took away chel's good (for this game) buttons, they should let her keep 1.0 speed fireballs, what the gently caress. Giving her worse normals and less damage but an amazing fireball game would basically make her ST Guile, which is loving fine by me. I've been playing relatively immobile characters with good-but-not-great buttons but an incredibly solid fireball game for years.

Guess I'll play dauntless now so I can press cr.M a lot.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
I think I'll wait until official release, alpha-testing their balance changes isn't that fun.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Trykt posted:

Lots of good :words:

Dias posted:

More good :words:

Yeah, I probably should have phrased it a lot more clearly; Don't post on a train you've been on for work for hours, I suppose. I can't stress enough I have no problem with Chel in exchange/knockdown situations. She punishes well, she can whiff punish, and crossup game is obviously good. I was trying to demonstrate a situation where if the other character has a life lead, the lack of Overhead isn't the only thing but effectively she MUST push buttons that are unsafe. Ignoring the Chel mirror, and Talos because he's the outside case, Edge/Vlad/Dauntless if they have a life lead can quite literally hold down back, punish or absorb a fireball, and DP everything else, and Chel's only option is to try & bait it.

I'm probably struggling with how to phrase it appropriately - My summary is that I get that she's the footsies/defensive character, but if other characters choose to do exactly that, her options force her into poor situations.

I am nowhere near saying 'Chel is bad', she's patently not because she's a fairly transparent Shoto, but I think her win rate is probably being inflated by the fact people aren't just drying her out more.

E: Oh, and fM into DP is very unreliable against Das Boot, mostly because it all comes down to how early they pressed the Boot; However, it beats the SPD option, so it's probably better than the alternative of using fH (which will break the armour if hit meaty, but loses to SPD, because a chargable, cancellable armoured SPD was a good choice.)

Shockeh fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Aug 27, 2015

TwingeCrag
Feb 6, 2007

I got a Phd in Badassery
I love playing Talos so much. So many command grabs. So many overdrive wins. This is the character I was born to play.

Reznor
Jan 15, 2006

Hot dinosnail action.

TwingeCrag posted:

I love playing Talos so much. So many command grabs. So many overdrive wins. This is the character I was born to play.

Hugbot is the greatest

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008
New Patch! http://risingthunder.com/2015/09/01/patch-notes-build-1330/

Also thank god for those talos nerfs, gently caress that guy.

Draynar fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Sep 1, 2015

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

zib doesnt have fleas any more!

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
So what's up with Dauntless' new DP? Seems like it might be better for anti-air since it has longer invulnerability, so you could hit it earlier and still catch chars with tricky jump in normals that pull their hitbox back like Edge.

Also, any ideas on how we're meant to use the charging aspect of it? Seems like you could try a pretty risky frame trap with it but it launches so high the reward could be worth it.

I don't know that I want to give up my hit-checkable DP with better synergy with revolving hook for that though.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Downloaded this bad boy last night. It's p cool, but I def have a few problems. I've been playing mostly Chel, and the knock down game is just a little nebulous. It just seems that whatever move I throw whether I'm up or knocked down always loses. Sometimes when I'm knocked down I try to wake up DP, which is invincible on start up, and I still lose to non-invincible moves. Sure as hell can't be my execution. Also I'm not sure if you can get up faster or slower, but it sure seems like it.

Edit: Also holy poo poo the Russian and Spanish in this game is just bad. I mean it was never good in SFIV, Zangief said Bol'shoi Pobeda when it should have been Bol'shaya Pobeda, but still c'mon guys.

Safety Scissors fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Sep 2, 2015

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Safety Scissors posted:

Edit: Also holy poo poo the Russian and Spanish in this game is just bad. I mean it was never good in SFIV, Zangief said Bol'shoi Pobeda when it should have been Bol'shaya Pobeda, but still c'mon guys.

The Korean is also bad

Lavender Philtrum
May 16, 2011

Safety Scissors posted:

I heard they use native speakers for all of the non-english languages in this game, which is interesting because I don't even speak any of the languages of the characters in this game besides english and even I can tell they don't sound quite right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Safety Scissors posted:

Downloaded this bad boy last night. It's p cool, but I def have a few problems. I've been playing mostly Chel, and the knock down game is just a little nebulous. It just seems that whatever move I throw whether I'm up or knocked down always loses. Sometimes when I'm knocked down I try to wake up DP, which is invincible on start up, and I still lose to non-invincible moves. Sure as hell can't be my execution. Also I'm not sure if you can get up faster or slower, but it sure seems like it.

You'll lose to SPD when you DP in particular because it's armoured, and your last invincible frame ends before your first airborne frame starts.

• Locked thread