Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

The only actual problem is your attitude, you can totally do it if you think you can. You think you can't, so you can't. Unless you are a person that literally never plays videogames except for this one time or you have no arms or something you are 100% capable of doing all links in this game with 5 minutes of practice at the outside. Please see this post as 50% encouraging motivational pep-talk and 50% calling you out on the same "execution barrier" non-excuse we get to read in literally every fighting game thread since the beginning of the Gregorian calendar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

Shukaro posted:

it literally is a weird execution barrier for no reason though, is the thing

It isn't, any off-the-cuff alternative you can think of (please don't list them) would introduce their own design issues. You can't even imagine what they are because you don't know how fighting games work so you'll just have to trust us when we tell you the problem literally only exists in your head.

It's an extraordinarily solvable problem for you at any rate, please do so! Cool thing about it is once you figure it out it's a permanent skill, you will literally always know how to do it for any game you play in the future. Totally worth the practice time especially considering how extraordinarily minimal it is in this game in particular.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

Shukaro posted:

Exactly, here you have you either have spot-on timing

It's seriously insane that you think a 5 frame window is too small an amount of time, I cannot handle it, peace

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

DatonKallandor posted:

Wait are you claiming learning links isn't memorizing strings?

If you know a move is +5 or whatever, you can look at every move that starts up in 5 frames or less and know that those link. There's no set sequence of what buttons you have to press to continue the combo and it generally takes a bit of research and experimentation to figure out what's actually optimal to combo. Further, the optimal move might be range or character specific. It depends a lot on the game (RT is pretty shallow in this regard) but generally there's a lot of analysis that goes into creating an optimal BnB from a linkable move.

Dial a combo you just do what's preprogrammed until you get to the end of the string, at which point you might still have some interesting decisions in how to proceed with the rest of the combo re: cancels into specials and such (read as: I'm not calling dial a combo strings dumb or worse, just pointing out the difference as a skill for you)

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

Buhbuhj posted:

DONT LET YOUR COMBOS BE DREAMS
TURN YOUR COMBOS INTO REALITY
NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE
JUST
LINK
IT

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

Shukaro posted:

yes, this is exactly what is being posted

You have exhausted the reasonable responses, this is all that's left, I'm sorry :smithicide:

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

Shukaro posted:

1/12th of a second is in fact small

I guess you don't play any action, rhythm, shooter, or platformer games? Is it just like, select phone games and XCOM? Although to be fair, XCOM is pretty fukken sweet

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

This goes for my guy and also people replying to my guy

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
He's making the best posts in the entire thread, I'm not sure what you're on about

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

Nativity In Black posted:

People complaining

Not sure "people" exist, there was a person that apparently also will never be able to play any musical instrument or navigate an automated phone tree before it hangs up for inactivity.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
Haven't actually played this game outside of training mode all that much until tonight, had some fun matches, a few had some bouts of unplayable lag that were pretty frustrating. Noticed there was a patch when I logged in and it appears they nerfed Dauntless KA combo off throw, you only get half the throw's damage before the juggle now so the total damage is 138, used to be more like 168. Kinda sucks for a character that already has damage issues. I'd like if they just put 5 - 10 more damage on most/all of her moves.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
Ok my own personal Dauntless protips so far:

• Learn to use kinetic advance combos after dust breaker and throw. The risk/reward on these sucks unless you can get the extra damage and corner carry.
  • Kinetic advance is also super good after cold drill, link to a light attack cancelled into dust breaker for a knockdown.
  • Crouching M into cold drill is a really great poke, if it hits go into the KA combo above for 200 damage or hit super if it's loaded, tons of time to confirm.
  • Don't EVER poke randomly OR end blockstrings with vandal hook (the forward advancing s3). It whiffs crouchers, this is very bad. Use cold drill instead.
  • Her far target combo version of MH seems like a decent poke in general, but it's really great versus talos because it straight up beats all his armor shenanigans. I don't know why, but it does.
  • Practice optimal punishes. Dauntless needs to take every bit of damage she can get or she loses. If you have super, do close H cold drill super. If you don't have super but have a KA charge, do close H dust breaker KA MH s3 s1. If you have no meter just do the target combo into s3 s1 juggle. If you start a punish with light attacks or a throw please punch yourself in the balls.
  • Cold drill has an air version that can be used to bait dps. Try it! You can also combo into it from jumping L (diagonal jump only) which seems at least interesting for air to airs, not sure if it's good yet.

Ok that's all please feel free to correct me or add to this bullshit thanks in advance!

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
Learned a midscreen-only variant to Dauntless forward throw KA today, hold up forward for a jump cancel instead of a dash, then come down with j.H pretty late. You'll hit them just before they touch the ground and then land and can go into target combo into standard juggle s3 s1 stuff, 186 damage!

You can also sacrifice 20 damage or so to go into a pretty sick looking left/right mix-up that doesn't require an additional KA or anything:

Throw - j.H - MH - s1 (1st hit only, hit them while they're still really high in the air) into s3 (hold s3 button so the attack doesn't come out, also hold forward directional input). You'll cross under at the last second with enough time to meaty cr.H or whatever your preferred button is. You can choose not to hold forward on the stick and you'll stay in front. If you have meter for another KA combo off this hit that's ~200 - 270 more damage and I don't know how dizzy works in this game but I have to imagine they'd be close after that.

Still trying to find something like this that works in the corner off forward throw but neutral jump normals won't touch before they hit the ground as far as I can tell and diagonal jumping doesn't work for other obvious reasons.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

vrklgn posted:

Got 2 codes if anybody want to get in on the action

PM one please I have a friend that wants to play!

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

NecroMonster posted:

what the hell is with being unable to juggle into super?

Well, technically she can juggle with super just fine! I know what you mean though and I think it's because her super is otherwise really great. It's insanely good at punishing things both on start up and whiff (especially with being a one button input), does good damage, allows follow ups, and carries really far to the corner. It's also really easily hit confirmed into full animation off s1 and st.H

I think they're in the right with the way her super works currently, I just wish she had some more and better ways to build meter for it though.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5BeVs3ODaE

Here's S-Kill doing an interview about the game talking a lot about why they did they things they did and what they want to happen in general. It's a bit long but generally pretty interesting!

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
Something Seth talks about in that interview is that he believes that kinetic advance is not the best option 100% of the time. He doesn't get too specific but he mentions that he thinks there are and will be match ups where choosing kinetic deflect will be significantly more advantageous even if you have your KA combos and DP shenanigans down.

In light of this idea I think I'm going to start taking deflect versus Vlad as Dauntless. That honestly feels like her worst matchup because the risk/reward on everything that can happen once he gets in the air is way in his favor and his damage from super comes big and easy. I don't think I'll miss comboing off throw or DP against him since they are both generally poo poo ideas 99% of the time in that match up.

I might try taking her new s1 as well against him, maybe I can use it to armor through something into a juggle as anti air?

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

NecroMonster posted:

funny story i'm not actually sure that using it is worth it for dauntless, it doesn't really get you much extra damage at all

You're insane, her DP and throw aren't worth using without KA

Her DP in particular becomes a super great pressure tool once you have a bar for KA

Edit: it's worth mentioning you can deflect out of blockstun as well, like a pretty ghetto alpha counter.

Trykt fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Aug 14, 2015

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
I streamed some for a bit today if anybody wants to see my Dauntless and listen to my bad music: http://www.twitch.tv/trykt/v/11220670

I'm mostly pretty happy with my progress and how I'm playing, I need to carve out the part of my brain that wants to anti-air with super though (old street fighter habit I guess). Had a few rounds where I just brainfarted all over the place and did bad mix-ups and ate theirs. I'm having a few execution issues with moving around, getting a dash when I don't want it sometimes which is getting me hit more often than not. Need to stop blockstringing into s3 as well, that move isn't safe whether you hold the button or not. I'm also not punishing Dauntless cold drill on block yet, one of the few big reasons I still suck at the mirror.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
The ranking system in this game doesn't make any sense at all and I don't like it.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

This is actually my whole problem with it. I'm stuck in silver because they are matching me exclusively with people as good as or better than me so I'm only winning 50% of my games or so. Most of my matches are diamond/master/legend but they don't count for any extra points so I'm just seesaw-ing silver ranks even though my apparent peers have blown past gold already (I presume it was much easier to do so in the game's first week or so)

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

The better you are the harder it is to rank up because of the ELO system behind rankings. By time I was in silver my ELO was high enough to where I'd only get matched with like Rico Suave and Snakeeyez and other top players but going mostly even with them (combined with the disconnect bug) meant it was nearly impossible to "progress" and they had already played enough to reach Legend. I think they re-weighted the matchmaking when they fixed the disconnect bug but I didn't play enough after that to get past Diamond.

This is correct and exactly what I was talking about. The other responses are wrong or completely missing the point.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
Yeah sure shame on me for discussing a poorly designed feature of an alpha, everyone getting weirdly defensive of an objectively poor system sure showed me!

\/\/\/It doesn't match you based on rank at all though? So I guess you have no idea what you're talking about? Thanks for making a post, though.

Trykt fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Aug 18, 2015

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
I super can't wait for them to add player matches so I can posting challenge shitposters out of the thread.

edit: You know what I'm super loving salty about some IRL poo poo at the moment and shouldn't be posting, all this poo poo is just me being mad for dumb reasons that don't have anything to do with you guys or this thread, I'm sorry

Trykt fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Aug 18, 2015

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

Dias posted:

Look at this salty rear end in a top hat, oh my god.

You are exactly right :(

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
Ok productive post time, Dauntless match up tips:

vs. Talos
-if you have half a bar and you wanna rush him down, run in and poke with cr.L - dust breaker, it will beat armor kick and armor grab. If you're used to being cheeky vs. other characters when you get a bar and like to do raw dust breaker KA cancel as part of your pressure (like me), substitute this instead.
-standing at max range of your MH target combo and doing it meaty on his wake up is good, it beats his armor shenanigans similar to above (but for a different reason), spacing is super important though. Once you teach him to respect this you can try actual mix-ups sometimes!
-the match up changes a lot when Dauntless gets super, she can punish basically everything he does on the ground that doesn't actually hit you, including punishing whiffs and is random half screen charge shenanigans

vs. Vlad
-her air s1 is really good vs. Vlads that like to gently caress around in the air, as long as I've got enough space to start it with armor I haven't had it lose to anything Vlad can do in the air yet
-make sure you punish his windmill with standing L - cold drill, go into super if you got it, one of the only good ways to land it on Vlad I've found (also really important to be able to do this vs. Dauntless cold drill)

Complaining note, I swear I'm running into people that are trying on purpose to have terrible connections, like they really want to stretch the limits of the netcode since the dev is bragging about it so much or something. Very annoying especially since they all just jump non stop and lag warping in GGPO makes that poo poo impossible to punish consistently.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

Tae posted:

Is Crow's aerial where his blade keeps spinning an unblockable? Because I'm clearly blocking it, but it switches halfway and goes through my blocking.

It hits overhead multiple times, if you switch to crouch blocking before all the hits occur then it will start hitting you. It's a fuzzy guard kind of thing, similar to how Morrigan's drill overhead works in Marvel 3 if you're familiar with that.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

Shockeh posted:

what's she supposed to do?

This is actually a question about footsies. Throwing isn't really the primary strategy here (even though Chel can combo super from it, which is quite baller), but it opens the door. The exchange basically boils down to this: If you move toward the opponent and they do nothing then they will get thrown. At some point they will have to "press a button" to stop you moving forward. Pressing a button exposes them to attack. Your offense then becomes trying to predict what they will do and when (ish).

Assuming most people will throw out a poke to stop you advancing, Chel's hop kick becomes a monster, especially since it can be hit confirmed into DP for a combo. You can also try to footsie them in a more traditional way with well spaced cr.H's or close (ish) fireballs. If they learn to respect these options and stop attacking you that opens them back up to throw and the cycle begins anew.

Of course in reality it's more complex because you might be fighting someone whose response to your movement might be jumping (where you have to account for each direction differently), a "random" DP or super, or maybe walking back or even backdashing. All of these options have weaknesses as well including ones you can use on reaction. It's hard to account for all of these things at once obviously (FIGHTING GAMES) so you need to get a sense for what your opponent tends to do from each similar situation and go for a read when you need it.

Chel's above average "run" speed and super dope cross-up also make going in for a cross-up from footsies a good option occasionally. A lot of the good Chel's I fight do this a lot actually since it can be so hard to DP her if she gets the spacing right.

Anyway I hope that helps, feel free to call me an idiot!

edit: It's worth noting the guy that wrote the footsies handbook is directly working on this game, reading (or re-reading) some of this stuff might help a lot!

Trykt fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Aug 27, 2015

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

Dias posted:

I don't think he was stating this from an actual "I don't know what she's supposed to do"

Strongly disagree, and also the sentiment just doesn't hold because saying a character has no options because they don't have an overhead is false for exactly the reasons I outlined (protip: Ryu doesn't open people up in SF4 because of his overhead, that poo poo is lol), Chel is no exception and can absolutely go on offense

I think if playing a footsies range keepaway game isn't your style then Chel just isn't the character for you anyway.

Also screw you guys her f.M is deffo a "great button", they don't even have hop kicks that good in SF4!

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

Dias posted:

armor makes it eat poo poo

Not to ignore your other points but can't you just DP anyway to blow up armor poo poo?

The Talos match-up turned into a whole new world for me when I started using meaties buffered into invincible moves on him.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
So what's up with Dauntless' new DP? Seems like it might be better for anti-air since it has longer invulnerability, so you could hit it earlier and still catch chars with tricky jump in normals that pull their hitbox back like Edge.

Also, any ideas on how we're meant to use the charging aspect of it? Seems like you could try a pretty risky frame trap with it but it launches so high the reward could be worth it.

I don't know that I want to give up my hit-checkable DP with better synergy with revolving hook for that though.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

bhsman posted:

Custom matches custom matches custom matches CUSTOM MATCHES

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

tzz posted:

That's KA's fault though. One button specials by themselves wouldn't be so annoying without it.

One button DPs means you can always react to something like Dauntless' overhead or Crow's run, stuff that would normally be useful as a high/low guessing game becomes 100% useless against anyone with a brain. And if you really wanna poo poo on their picnic you can super them on reaction with a single button too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
Not gonna lie it makes me fairly upset at how right Zand was about that.

• Locked thread