Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Rising Thunder is a Free to Play Giant Robot Fighting Game made by Radiant Entertainment.

The game is currently in Alpha, you can sign up by clicking here.

Here is a good systems primer for how to play:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1IhWcJsBZcrZM71CLpb8WMrbaP4cyXqlBgrd2MKhNOS4/preview?sle=true

The project was led by Seth Killian, who Fighting Game fans may know from his work on SF4 and his presence as a commentator at the Evo tournament series. Tom and Tony Cannon also helped with the game; they are co-founders of Evo and Tony Cannon is the developer of the GGPO Online middleware.

The primary design goal of the game is to make Fighting Games accessible to people new to the genre. There are no fireball/dragon punch/spinning piledriver/etc inputs. All special moves are tied to a single button press, as are supers. Special moves have cooldown timers, similar to skills in a MOBA/ARTS game.

The game is online only, and currently the Alpha only has Ranked Match mode.

Rising Thunder uses the latest version of GGPO. GGPO is a piece of software that implements online using rollbacks (or a combination of rollbacks and delay) rather than delaying inputs to wait for latency. Long story short, fighting games with GGPO tend to have a much smoother online experience than games with delay-based netcode.

Jmcrofts fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jul 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Characters!

Chel is this game's Shoto, meaning she plays similar to Ryu or Ken from Street Fighter. She has a very strong fireball and invincible uppercut, as well as good combo potential. Great beginner character.

Edge is a ninja-like character, with good combos and fast movement. He has a run move that allows him to bypass fireballs, and a strong invincible move. Overall very versatile and well-rounded.

Dauntless is a boxer, very similar to Dudley from Street Fighter. She has very good high/low mixups and the ability to cancel special moves into each other to apply pressure. Her damage is below average, however.

Talos is a grappler, similar to Zangief. He has a command throw special, and a throw super. He also has an armored step kick that is very good for getting out of pressure. He also has a vacuum move, similar to Iron Tager's magnetism.

Crow is a fast moving setups character. He can throw discs out on the screen very rapidly to lock the opponent down and set up powerful mixups and resets. He can also turn himself completely invisible (only on the opponent's screen). However, he doesn't have any invincible moves, so he can struggle with defense.

Vlad is a Russian robot with the ability to fly. He can fly cancel his moves, setting up very difficult-to-block mixups and resets. He also has a strong fireball that can be done in the air. He relies on offensive momentum since he has fairly weak defensive and anti-air options. Also he is piloted by a dog.

Jmcrofts fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jul 31, 2015

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I got codes too:

9NMDD-TITRA-8B7T4-O3R12-GIZX4
AO8QP-MRZEB-R0Q61-9CJYL-DSZXV

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

My laptop is poo poo but I was able to get into training and goof around for a bit. My initial impression is that it is expectedly unsatisfying to do a cool combo and then realize that almost all of it was just a single button press. Smash avoids that by being based on frenetic and difficult platform movement, but in a game with standard fighting game movement I see everything being that simple ultimately hurting its longevity.

The Kinetic Advance (roman cancel/FADC-like) stuff is very fun in combos, you should mess around with that.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

LOU BEGAS MUSTACHE posted:

i think its like pretty close to sf4's rules: it just subtracts 10% per move i think?

SF4 goes 100-100-80-70-60.... etc. This game does 100-80-60-40.... I believe. This isn't a game about long combos though, most of the time Kinetic Advance is better for a reset, or for maximizing a confirm.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Shukaro posted:

Seriously tho why did they put links into a super simple accessible fighter

Links are seriously baby easy in this game, this isn't SF4. Also all fighting games have links.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Endorph posted:

360s are a good example. you have to jump into them or buffer them from another input, you can't just rawdog one.

another good example is charge moves, which obviously alter a character's playstyle drastically.

You don't have to jump or buffer into 360s in most modern games. SF4 and Skullgirls make it especially easy.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

uncleKitchener posted:

The system is also really simple to the point that all characters could take about the same amount of effort while sticking to their own archetype.

This is definitely not the case. You can start doing well with Chel and Talos immediately, while Vlad and Crow have a lot of execution and setups you need to work on.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

The Gorp posted:

I still think i prefer barrier Vlad just for the fact that his combos are already long and hit hard, not getting ruined by better characters is more the issue.

Here's a code for anyone still looking.

OI79C-BQ39M-QGPPU-3T52Y-273O3

Kinetic Advance is definitely superior for Vlad. Comboing off of throws is strong, as well as making DPs safe on block. Another good usage is to dash cancel a fireball to set up a jumpin when they block the fireball.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

The Gorp posted:

Dauntles's jab punishes Vlads special 3.
Supers can't punish that, that's loving horrible.

Vlad's special 3 is a combo ender. I don't know why people are expecting it to be safe.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

The Gorp posted:

It's safe to everyone else. It's like dictators light flip kick, it does chip and isn't punishable by itself and can be used as a pressure chain ender to leave you in a decent spot.

It's totally not safe against everyone else. Edge can punish with his standing light, and depending on range Vlad can punish with crouching light (cancelled into his own special 3)

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

CaptCommy posted:

What options does Dauntless have against Vlad? It's the only matchup that gives me trouble anymore, because his stupid uppercut stuffs any attempts at pressure I try to start. I can get in on him but then I have no way to make him block high, since overheads and jumping both get stuffed super hard by that thing.

Bait the uppercut.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

fadam posted:

When I play Edge or Chel I feel like I get matched up against a different character each time, but when I play Vlad, who I assume is played way less than those two, I go on big streaks where I fight like ten Talos players in a row (easiest Legend run ever thanks Radiant) or ten crows or whatever. Are they manipulating matchmaking to get specific match-up data or something?

Confirmation bias.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

metricchip posted:

Was surprised I got my code a day or so after I signed up.

Really digging it so far but I have basically no loving idea what I'm doing and realized there's a lack of resources since the alpha's a week old

Read this from the OP if you haven't

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1IhWcJsBZcrZM71CLpb8WMrbaP4cyXqlBgrd2MKhNOS4/preview?sle=true

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

metricchip posted:

poo poo, that's a lot more detailed than I realized.

I guess the main thing that's unclear to me is when/why to use the kinetic advance. I think I get the concept of cancels in general but I'm struggling to turn it into something useful.

Use it to 1. extend combos, 2. create mixups, or 3. make moves safe on block.

Example 1: you can't combo off of Chel's fireball (her alpha special). However if you cancel it into a forward dash using Kinetic Advance you can.

Example 2: If someone blocks a standing heavy attack, normally they are pretty safe to continue blocking the same way. However if you cancel the standing heavy into a forward jump using kinetic advance, you can hit them with a crossup (down+heavy in the air) to make them switch the direction they are blocking.

Example 3: Vlad's Beta Special, an uppercut (also called DP or Dragon Punch) is very unsafe on block. If you don't know what that means, essentially if you do the uppercut and the opponent blocks it, you are very vulnerable and the opponent gets a free combo on you. However, if you cancel the uppercut into a dash with Kinetic Advance, you are now in an advantageous position and cannot be punished.

This is all fairly intermediate stuff though. I'm not sure if you're new to fighting games in general or just this game, but you might not want to worry about Kinetic stuff until you have the basics down.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Crow I can see it. Vlad I 100% disagree. Even with the short range DP FADC is extremely powerful, as is throw->super.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

The Gorp posted:

Again I use advance. Against Dauntless and the like I can see it being the superior choice though.

I don't see any real advantage depending on matchup. Advance is too much of a must-have to give up.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Shukaro posted:

Why links in a fighter designed to be accessible?

Why?

E: I honestly don't understand the thought process there

Jmcrofts posted:

Links are seriously baby easy in this game, this isn't SF4. Also all fighting games have links.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Shukaro posted:

Let me clarify

I'm real bad at fightgames unlike you guys and they're unnecessarily annoying in a game where the most complex input is down heavy

Can you explain your preferred alternative? All normals chain into all other normals? No comboing a normal into a normal?

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Shukaro posted:

OK so mashing insanely hard works reliably, but it's a lot dumber than just letting you buffer an input or something.

you CAN buffer an input. There's like a 5 frame window.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Safety Scissors posted:

What are the overall impressions so far. Not to be a dick, but I'd prefer opinions of people that know how to block.

It is a pretty fun game that makes many of the same mistakes as SF4. Other than the drop bug it has some of the best online out there.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

The Gorp posted:

Point well made.
Can't argue with it.

So we all basically agree on tiers?

Top: Edge
High: Chel/Crow
Mid: Vlad/Dauntless
Low: Talos

Mine is more like
OP: Edge, Crow
Strong: Chel, Dauntless
Meh: Talos, Vlad

But this could all change overnight, they're going to be adding new special move options for everyone soon enough.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Tae posted:

Is there anything that Chell has to counter Code-Drill spam? Can't uppercut it because it has armor.

Cold drill is unsafe on block, isn't it?

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
So when they say that DP moves don't hit behind anymore, does that mean they reduced the hitboxes, or they reduced autocorrect leniency? Hoping it's the latter.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Tae posted:

Note, I'm a dumb casual player

I tried out Talos for the first time, why the gently caress does he have a command throw with super armor

Now you have a fun post to look back on and laugh about once you get better

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Optimus Subprime posted:

Oh that makes way more sense, so kinetic max is just used for advancing and combo breaking?

affirmative. And it only takes 1 stock per use so you can do it twice if your bar is full.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
His DP sucks

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

skipThings posted:

Is Crow jsut a bad Character to start with?
Does 30 FPS put me at a terrible disadvantage?
Do I have to learn all the fighting game vocabulary before I can understand what is happening?

yes
yes
no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
One-button DPs in persona are balanced by the massive increase in movement options that game has over something like RT. It's much easier to bait a DP using movement, in this game even backdashes get hit by DPs a lot of the time. You also get a fatal counter if you punish a DP, making them a lot more risky to throw out.

I'm sad to say it but I've basically dropped this game completely nowadays. My wish list of things this game needs ASAP:

-No more DP FADC, period. It ruins risk/reward scenarios and makes everything a lot more defensive.
-Improved walk speed, normals, and throw range - neutral game is pretty garbage right now, and several characters have basically 0 good pokes.
-Nerf jabs, I feel like I'm playing SF4 with all these boring hit-confirm links.

• Locked thread