Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
So I logged back into RT to check out Edge's changes and I'm at 30FPS? What?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Mattavist posted:

This weekend my video card locked up a couple times and RT was always capped at 30fps afterwards. Restarting my PC fixed it. Maybe some weird/bad Vsync handling?

I just restarted RT and it works now, so that's that I guess. :shobon:

Anyone have any baby Edge combos or know where I can find some?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

mango gay touchies posted:

j.2H - M - M - H - special1/special2/super

Is j.2H supposed to mean only jumping fierce or something more? And thanks.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

if you press down and heavy while you're in the air you get a universal crossup attack

Yeah I'm aware of that, I just wasn't sure if that's what you were referring to or something else. :blush:

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

teagone posted:

Edge's BnB that I, and I see every other Edge do is cr.l, cr.l, st.m, st.h, gathering storm. It's easy to land. You can mix it up by ending the combo with st.relentless pursuit and juggling with gathering storm after the wall bounce instead.

Yeah I was messing around with him and Gamma (special 3?) wallbounce into Super is :stonklol: Man I really wish they would allow for stick functionality, using a keyboard or gamepad for this is the most odd feeling.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

if you have a controller or stick you can use joytokey and it works pretty fine since you don't have to worry about rolls

Yeah, trying to get that set up right now.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

fadam posted:

When I play Edge or Chel I feel like I get matched up against a different character each time, but when I play Vlad, who I assume is played way less than those two, I go on big streaks where I fight like ten Talos players in a row (easiest Legend run ever thanks Radiant) or ten crows or whatever. Are they manipulating matchmaking to get specific match-up data or something?

A lot of the big streamers are playing Talos, so he might just be super-popular right now.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Re: Stick issues.

Unplugged my gamepad, switched the Q4 to Xbox, now it works with no problems. :haw:

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Justin Wong released his combo list on Twitter.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
So I played about ~10 games with Edge tonight, and by the end I think I was really starting to feel how the game works. Some observations:

-Edge is listed as being a difficult character (potentially the most difficult) to use by the game, but honestly he feels kinda easy once you learn some of the mechanics and how to set up into Super. This was especially the case once I realized I could just use Gamma, set up a wallbounce from the hit, and just spam Super (which does so much damage). He kinda reminds me of Urien from 3S (in my admittedly short time playing him).

-I have no idea what to do against a super-aggressive Talos, and against more patient ones I was able to kind of sit back, let them jump into my DP and then start messing with them with the universal crossup, or Gamma into sweep vs overhead. I like the guessing game Edge forces on your opponents; you can teach the opponent to keep blocking low and then hit them with the overhead into Strong, Strong, DP/Gathering Storm/Super.

-I should just switch to Kinetic Advance as I kept absent-mindedly using up my block charges by just tapping on buttons while knocked down. :shobon:

-Punishing Chel's fireballs are kinda odd without the chance to practice in training mode with a playback option like in USF4.

-Dauntless is aptly named, and often I'm not sure what my wakeup options are against her (and Talos, too).

-Universal crossups (when you jump forward and hold down + button 3/strong attack) are amazing and nobody I played tonight (admittedly among Carbon rank) consistently blocked them and they were basically free damage/Gathering Storm charges.

-At one point I was using these crossups on a Chel, beating her with them, until she realized she could DP on wakeup to stop them, and got the max punish out of it, beating me. Then I started to just neutral jump after the knockdown, making her whiff, allowing me to punish into Gathering Storm, and then she'd start blocking on wakeup, allowing me to...Killian was right, eventually this game just turns into mindgames with your opponent, no matter the skill level. I was having fun just trying to see how my opponent would react.

All in all, I think the game finally clicked for me. I would have loved it even if I could get into it myself just due to how it's making fighting games accessible, but now I'm really starting to see the joy in playing it.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
The Best Friends Play group also did a video on Rising Thunder for their Friday Night Fisticuffs series where they go into a little depth on the mechanics; it's where I learned about RT's universal crossups and some tech (if you're a Dauntless player, they might have some new combos for you).

The Gorp posted:

1. Edge is in my opinion the easiest character to play outside of Chel. His toolkit is exceptionally well rounded and his combos are intuitive. His normals are even amazing.

Yeah, I think he's only hard to use initially and then knowing his trickery makes him way fun. I don't know if his normals are that amazing other than jumping medium and standing fierce, but they aren't bad.

quote:

2. Talos takes a while to get used to. Essentially Talos can grab you out of a dash, super armor up from a dash or bait a reversal or jump. The key to dealing with talos is proper utilization of normals and spacing- which takes some getting used to with an offence oriented character like Edge.

Yeah, I talked to a friend who basically said you had to lame Talos out real bad; that alternate Alpha move is pretty good at that.

quote:

3. Learn to block basically. Always wake up blocking low - if you predict a throw or overhead use special 2 to get out. Crossups on knockdown are another matter entirely, but Dauntless and Talos aren't known for those.

Yeah, I think I was too worried about overhead and got miserly about using Beta/DP without max charges. I just wanted to do cool things in the fighting game but they won't let me! :qq:

quote:

4. They're stupid. Both you can chell can start falling physically in front of someone and switch sides with your crossups - it is an unreactable mixup on knockdown.

Wait, it'll cross up even if I'm not entirely on the other side of the other player? That's crazy.

quote:

5. This a good game. It's simple without sacrificing depth.

Definitely, now I'm really looking forward to the Beta.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Fellblade posted:

It's a straight teleport.

Chel can be at shoulder height in front of Talos and then hit behind. It's the most retardedly good button in the game.

:stonklol:

No wonder it's kinda tricky to pull off.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

metricchip posted:

Was surprised I got my code a day or so after I signed up.

Really digging it so far but I have basically no loving idea what I'm doing and realized there's a lack of resources since the alpha's a week old

I'm sure people here could answer some questions if you had any. Do you have a specific main you want combos for or general tactics, etc?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Shukaro I don't want to dogpile on you with everyone else, but I really do recommend just practicing the links in training mode; a good way to do this is with practice 'laps' where you practice the combo while slowly pushing the opponent across the stage - back and forth. Spending time getting into a flame war in this thread instead of practicing just isn't constructive. :(

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Anyone have advice for a scrub Edge playing facing Talos? Every other character I feel like I can eventually strategize a way to use Gamma to get in or trip them up and at least compete, but against a decent Talos player I either block on wakeup and get a command grab, jump and get caught by that "Denied!" grab, or DP and he just armor-boots or vacuum-grabs me. Any advice?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
I totally forgot that Alpha was multi-hit, I should try that.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Admittedly I haven't played in two weeks, but I got destroyed with Edge by my first ever Vlad matchup, who obviously knew what he was doing as I would use Gathering Storm to eat up a missile. At the same time, he perfectly timed a jump-in for damage. I definitely made some mistakes (I kept hitting specials instead of normals) and failed to punish him once or twice (or at least when it was obvious considering my lack of familiarity with the matchup), but what should I be doing in that match? What are my preferred moves?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Custom matches custom matches custom matches CUSTOM MATCHES

• Locked thread