Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Trykt posted:

The ranking system in this game doesn't make any sense at all and I don't like it.

Seems like it's basically just PP. It's not there to be an accurate indicator of skill, but it does give mediocre players something easy to understand and latch onto. It also tickles the part of your lizard brain that likes to see numbers go up.

However, the game should absolutely 100% show you your elo. Overall, one of the things I'm most unhappy with is how the game seems to like to hide information from you. Not being able to see your opponent's meters seems unnecessarily opaque, especially for a game touting itself on simplicity and approachability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

NecroMonster posted:

Rankings exist so stupid some people can see a number go up, the ELO exists to help you get good matches, and the ELO is hidden so the stupidsome people who really like seeing number go up don't freak out.

This is literally all that is going on and all that needs to go on why is a discussion of this taking place.

This is more or less all I was trying to say earlier, just put more succinctly

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Lavender Philtrum posted:

Hahahaha what the gently caress.

Chel just trapped me (Crow) in the back left corner and scored a 29 hit combo of crouching jabs against me. I have no idea what the gently caress I was meant to do, I have to assume it was a glitch? Blocking in any direction did absolutely nothing and was using Advance (which wasn't charged anyway), and was forced to just sit there and take each one with no recourse.

Am I missing something? Is this a real exploit?

Just went into practice as Chel and tried doing the exact same technique, it seems Chel is SUPPOSED to get pushed back a foot or so every time she hits her crouching jab, but this Chel was just staying in place as she jabbed me 28 times in a row.

Just to be clear, the combo indicator came up and said 29 hits after this was done, right?

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Since they took away chel's good (for this game) buttons, they should let her keep 1.0 speed fireballs, what the gently caress. Giving her worse normals and less damage but an amazing fireball game would basically make her ST Guile, which is loving fine by me. I've been playing relatively immobile characters with good-but-not-great buttons but an incredibly solid fireball game for years.

Guess I'll play dauntless now so I can press cr.M a lot.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
I"m gonna give you the benefit of the doubt by not assuming that you're trolling us:

Combos add additional design space, both visually and mechanically.

Mechanically: I hit you with a move. I can choose to do any of several combos depending on screen position: maybe I have a combo that maxes out on damage but doesn't give me good positioning for followups. Maybe I have a combo that carries the opponent to the corner, but doesn't do as much damage. Maybe I have a combo that doesn't do as much damage, but knocks down, leaving me in a good position to attempt a maneuver on my opponent's wakeup.

Characters do more damage in the corner because juggles are easier, owing to the fact that your opponent, if their back is to the corner, cannot be pushed back any further. This rewards good positioning because now you don't want to be in the corner because not only is it tactically significant (you can't run away, opponent has more offensive options) you will eat half your life bar if you get hit while cornered.

Balance: Combos allow for more knobs for the designers to tune balance-wise. Small tweaks to frame data allow designers to allow or disallow combos at will, meaning abusive tactics can be eliminated without completely gutting characters. In no-combo land, if a character does too much damage, you make all his moves do less damage. In real fighting game combos-matter land, if a character is doing too much damage overall one or two moves can have their damage tweaked or frame data adjusted so as not to allow followups in as many situations.

Combos raise the skill ceiling, usually a good idea for a competitive game. Competitive games with low skill ceilings get figured out and dropped quickly. Games like this need to have longevity in the extreme to stay viable. Combos add a level of mastery which rewards spending time with your character. The game can be accessible, but accessible doesn't mean you deserve to be amazing while putting no work in.

Combos allow for more creativity in playstyle as well as more emergent gameplay, as some players of a given character will favor certain combo options in certain situations over others. More aggressive players will want to maximize their damage at every opportunity, while more tactical players will nearly always go for optimal positioning. These are decisions players would not get to make if there were no combos.

Design: Having combos is cooler and more stylish than not having combos, helps to give characters a sense of identity and keeps the characters from feeling identical in a game where all special move inputs are already identical.

Is this enough reasons to keep combos, Lavender? I could go on for way longer than this.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Lavender Philtrum posted:

OK, so, I'm not actually trolling, these are just my actual opinions, let's get that out of the way.

You guys have brought up some good points that have brought me a bit more into favor with the whole combo thing

Even though it's a bit tough to parse I totally see what the fighting game vets are saying about it being too easy or broken in certain ways, however even with those points (the one button DPs and supers, etc) I feel like the "fighting games might just not be for you" thing is BS and I'm glad someone is at least TRYING to make a game that defies conventions and tries to make things more accessible. FPS games didn't stop trying new things after DOOM and there's no reason for the depth of the fighting game genre to stop at Street Fighter and Weird Fast Anime Street Fighter.

You are right that this genre tends to stagnate for years at a time, and innovation is something that's badly needed. The guys behind RT are smart, too; I feel like they'll probably pull a playable game out of their collective butts at some point. But the people in this thread who criticize the game aren't thinking about what it might be or what it will be, they're thinking about what it is. Rising Thunder is not fit for competitive play in its current state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Draynar posted:

drat this thread is dead. Another update. Can spectate lobbies now.

http://risingthunder.com/2015/10/06/patch-notes-build-1423/

Game needs a lot more than just lobbies to survive.

• Locked thread