Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Fruitsnacks posted:

things your opponents were doing that gave you trouble, and so on.

Just an FYI, if you don't know fighting games it's impossible to tell what your opponent was doing. It's just "he was hitting me and I couldn't do anything".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Dias posted:

Every fighter has links, and these are ultra-lenient, you can literally mash as fast as possible between buttons and get them.

Mortal Kombat lets you dial your entire combo as fast as you want and then does it. It's a way better system for a fighting game that wants to be accessible, because it means you can tell a player "this combo goes: X Y Z" and then all he has to do is hit those buttons and only those buttons as fast as he can, no further timing needed.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Aug 6, 2015

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Dias posted:

Not really. Then you have to memorize strings, and it might help with people being able to hit combos, but not really with people being able to, you know, win games. Plus, MK has links, and it has juggles, which are a lot harder to time than a 5f+ window a lot of the time.

Wait are you claiming learning links isn't memorizing strings? That's literally what learning links is. MK having juggles doesn't really mean dial-a-combo would not fit Rising Thunder. Not to mention Rising Thunder has juggles.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Sade posted:

Is this enough reasons to keep combos, Lavender? I could go on for way longer than this.

Good reasons to keep combos, no good reason to keep them with links instead of dialed in. They set out to make a game where reads and strategy matters more than execution, then removed the execution on most things but kept it on the combos. It's inconsistent and bad.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

lamentable dustman posted:

I quit playing because after the combos were figured out the lack of depth become really apparent and boring.

You mean it turned out to be like all the other fighting games except you have to hit less buttons for the same things to happen. Yeah, that was the intent. It has the exact same mindgames and the same footsies only you don't need to put in any quarter-circle motions.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Not that the games with more buttons even remotely use the design the space that gives them (oh yay, I can do 3 different fireballs or 3 different DPs, which by the way, you can also do in RT with it's single button). There's more than enough unexplored design space even in Rising Thunders amount of buttons - stuff they've already started to explore with modifiers to special abilities, the two Kinetic options and alternate specials. Let's wait until we actually hit the limits before we consider the "lack of design space" a problem.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Sep 16, 2015

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

One button DPs are a huge issue and go a long way in making the game feel slower and less active.

How does less safe, invincible moves make the game slower and less active? I'm seriously curious.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

I'm not sure what you're misunderstanding here because this game has one button invincible moves that can be made safe with Kinetic Advance, which is what tends to bog down the gameplay into slow over-careful defense since both players have to play around one button invincible moves that can be made safe.

Frankly I think you are simply massively wrong. Those one button moves have cooldowns. Long cooldowns. You can do far more invincible moves in Street Fighter, MvC or any other non-cooldown fighter. You can be safer more often in those games, yet they're not "too safe" or "slow". RT is simply newer. The windows of vulnerability in RT is longer than in other games. It's not the games fault those windows aren't exploited yet. People just haven't adapted yet. It takes a long time - new poo poo is still being discovered in Street Fighter 4 and that's been out for ages. The idea that RT is already "solved" is absurd.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Sep 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

"Doing more invincible moves" and "being safer more often" are not in any way equivalent. Moves with invincibility like DPs have drawbacks. Generally they're majorly unsafe on block and on whiff. In the case of blocks, some games let you expend meter to make things safer. In SF4, the most FADCs you're gonna build up in a normal round is usually 3 if you're trying hard, whereas I have seen on stream and been told that it is not uncommon to build up 6 or more Kinetic Advances in a round. That's quite a few more times you can press that one button DP and not have to worry about much of anything as long as you don't straight up whiff it.

Edit: I don't have anything to say about the "solved" statement because I don't think it means anything to the issue at hand. Also, if you enjoy RT, then by all means keep enjoying it and playing it. That's really quite fine. I'm just pointing out an issue I see with it that would lead me to not want to play it even if my computer could handle the game.

Well then the entire issue is KA, not one-button anything. DPs are as unsafe on block as they always are, and have longer cooldowns than in other games. KA lets you subvert both. The issue is KA then, is it not?

Making it run off Super meter, and having fewer charges as suggested above would probably help. If not removing it outright and replacing it with stuff that's more fun and interesting that a get-out-of-jail-free move.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Sep 18, 2015

• Locked thread