Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
The game is Akatsuki Blitzkampf for babies and without the tank. Where is the loving tank?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

The Gorp posted:

I picked up talos to try it out and forward heavy is basically his go to move.
You can only reasonably punish it if he uses it point blank more or less, and if you are expecting it (as it catches jumps) you have to standing block.

Talos is weird as a grappler because he doesn't have a movement biased move that he can cancel or put a throw on the end.
No burning Zangief hand, hammerfall or otherwise; his throw mix-up is "block my bonkers kick" or "block my wake-up meaty"
Something about it just feels wrong.

That's because he's more of a baby grab character than that guy from Breakers. Has he got any invincible moves like the rest of the cast.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

After playing some more and talking to some good players in streams I've revised my personal tier list.

S: Edge
A: Chel, Dauntless
B: Crow
C: Vlad, Talos

They're pretty close though. Some people think Dauntless is better than Chel, but I think Dauntless has a harder time against the other characters (especially Talos) and that the matchup itself is probably even. The only reason they're in the same tier is because Edge is in a tier of his own and separating them would spread it out too much.

Edge is silly, he just has absolutely every tool you'd want in this game save for a fireball, but he deals with them better than anybody else. He probably has the advantage in every matchup, with a large advantage over Crow and Talos.

Chel is super solid, probably only loses to Edge. Good zoning, amazing anti-air, ridiculous damage.

Dauntless has some really good buttons, decent rushdown, amazing corner carry and control, nasty resets and really good confirms into super from random hits. Her DP is way better than people think it is, and gives her ridiculous a corner carry combo or a side switch if you dash cancel it. Lots of ground mobility and tools to deal with fireball or go through pokes. Goes even with Chel and Talos, loses to Edge.

Crow is fisher price vortex char. He has an annoying fireball that's only good because of the limited options in the game, obnoxious buttons and a bunch of gimmicks. His setups are pretty much all reactable once you learn them. Very weak defense, very situational anti-airs, and no real reversal except super. His saving grace is his damage and stun potential and annoying multi-hitting buttons. Advantage over Vlad and Talos. Large disadvantage against Edge.

Vlad is whacky monkey cheese with flight gimmick that isn't actually hard to react to. All his stuff is unsafe and he runs out of flight meter ridiculously fast and it refills ridiculously slow, neutering his pressure. He has a couple of good buttons and can do decent damage, it's just not very often he'll land the hit. His DP is decent but probably the worst Real DP in the game, often trading and not giving him much if he dash cancels. Can use some flight gimmicks to bait DPs. Some people think he's really good but I never see anybody play him so I could be absolutely wrong! Probably disadvantage against everyone but not as badly as Talos. No idea about the Vlad-Talos matchup itself.

Talos is a grappler with no invincible or anti-fireball moves in a game with chars like Edge, Crow, and Chel. He does decent damage and has good reset potential, but with big risks associated with everything. Heavily reliant on Kinetic meter to do anything. Without super, crumbles to pressure. Armor kick is really easy to beat or bait out and super unsafe, though he gets a good reward if it lands. Goes even with Dauntless at best, just because of character archetypes. Loses to everyone else except maybe Vlad?

So this is like original SF2. I'm not betting on this game having a long life span, but things might change drastically.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

There's nothing close to the kind of bad match-ups that were present in the various iterations of SF2. Plus there's the fact none of these characters are actually "done" yet, since the idea is to have variations on special moves that you can change out.

Yeah, not to that extend since all the characters in this game are cut from the same cloth and you can win with every one of them, but I was more referring to the binary nature of the matchups you feel when you're playing something like SF2. The system is also really simple to the point that all characters could take about the same amount of effort while sticking to their own archetype.

It's amazing that it's 2015 and there have been few titles that adopted the run, hop and roll system of KOF. Maybe that made those games hard to balance, but even anime fighters introduced air dashing to make things more interesting.

I'll wait until this game hit beta though. Seems way too bare bones.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Oh hey, Talos got a ghetto vapor cannon.

• Locked thread