Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lavender Philtrum
May 16, 2011

The Gorp posted:

Even in this game
People just cant understand
Blocking on wakeup

In all seriousness, do people wonder why they get hit? Do people think there is always a "right choice" to wake-up with through all scenarios?

I've been having a bit of a difficult understanding this myself. I think the biggest issue is that when you are standing and perfectly fine, and you block, your character starts leaning backwards and clearly is 'beginning' to block
Holding backwards and down or backwards while you wake up is not something that has any immediate obvious effect, and so if you're expecting visual information to queue you on what the right thing to do is, it can be very misleading?

Maybe i'm misunderstanding this stuff. But basically it doesn't seem obvious to me to hold back to block when you are waking up because your character is on the ground so it feels obvious that nothing would happen until you were in a state that you could actually block, which would be 'after standing up and getting a second to recover'. if I'm understanding correcltly, what you're SUPPOSED to do is block or crouch-block as you get up so that the first attack they hit you with after you wake up is blocked instead of keeping you in a sleep state? And this works even if you have no time to stand up again and actually see your character 'block'?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lavender Philtrum
May 16, 2011
Maybe this was answered before, but what do 'scaling' and 'dp' mean in the context of this game?

Lavender Philtrum
May 16, 2011
Playing Crow, against Chel, it feels like her attacks hit me before any of mine even have a chance to get through their startup animations - as in her punches hit before my punches are finished even winding up to hit her. Do I just need to do more jabs or something? It feels like they don't even reach anywhere near her most of the time, but her attacks hit me before I have any amount of chance to get mine in and have plenty of range. Similar issue against Dauntless.

Lavender Philtrum
May 16, 2011

Shockeh posted:

That change to Talos really has made him loving stupid, between armoured normals and a genuine just mashable SPD, and it shows in the way that suddenly all of the Crows have vanished, and he's loving everywhere.

I main crow and I thought I was just a wimpy rear end in a top hat when my very first game since the patch was against Talos with the new move and I got so frustrated I haven't played since. There's probably some way I can change my playstyle to work around it, but... god drat.

Lavender Philtrum
May 16, 2011
Hahahaha what the gently caress.

Chel just trapped me (Crow) in the back left corner and scored a 29 hit combo of crouching jabs against me. I have no idea what the gently caress I was meant to do, I have to assume it was a glitch? Blocking in any direction did absolutely nothing and was using Advance (which wasn't charged anyway), and was forced to just sit there and take each one with no recourse.

Am I missing something? Is this a real exploit?

Just went into practice as Chel and tried doing the exact same technique, it seems Chel is SUPPOSED to get pushed back a foot or so every time she hits her crouching jab, but this Chel was just staying in place as she jabbed me 28 times in a row.

Lavender Philtrum fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Aug 19, 2015

Lavender Philtrum
May 16, 2011

Sade posted:

Just to be clear, the combo indicator came up and said 29 hits after this was done, right?

Yeppers. Tried to take a screenshot but was in fullscreen so it came out blank.

Lavender Philtrum
May 16, 2011

Safety Scissors posted:

Edit: Also holy poo poo the Russian and Spanish in this game is just bad. I mean it was never good in SFIV, Zangief said Bol'shoi Pobeda when it should have been Bol'shaya Pobeda, but still c'mon guys.

I heard they use native speakers for all of the non-english languages in this game, which is interesting because I don't even speak any of the languages of the characters in this game besides english and even I can tell they don't sound quite right.

Lavender Philtrum
May 16, 2011
Crow's new move is cool but this game is awfully dead. Sure you can still get a game but a lot of the initial hype has died down. I wonder if this game is not stupid enough for fighting game nerds but not normal enough for normal people.

Lavender Philtrum
May 16, 2011
Dumb baby effort post incoming. Warning for FYAD-lite posters to just ignore me because I have dumb baby opinions.

As someone who previously loving hated fighting game for how obscure it was to learn how to play them, I've had a lot of fun with RT and find myself coming back to it and excited about updates.

But I feel like the nomenclature involved can be very much a turn-off to someone outside the scene (ie: me) when the advice people give you to get better is just absolutely unapproachable without constantly referencing a glossary. I wish there was some sort of browser plugin that translated it, from stuff as basic as "cr.M" into "crouching medium attack" to the more obscure stuff like "Wake-up FOW" and "c.A into tick throw". Some stuff is self explanatory, but what is c.A? Crouching air?? Crouching attack? What the gently caress is a tick throw?

The fact that everyone in the community expects you to know this second language or constantly reference something/learn it on the fly is absurd and definitely a turn-off, nearly as much as memorizing moves is, to me at least.

And combos are still a thing and are still frustrating and feel pointless.

Most combos beyond obvious small juggles feel like something I need to look up online and then practice in the training mode to have any chance of pulling off. That doesn't feel like it goes with the philosophy of the game of being easily accessible and doing away with rote memorization, even though I know I'm kind of a baby for saying that. Yes I COULD just learn them but why. Why do they even exist.

And also they feel pointless in a way, like how once I get launched by Talos unless they whiff it, I ALWAYS KNOW I will hear "Titan drop! Sit down!" or "DENIIIED!" and take additional damage. Why not just do away with the second step of having him combo me and just do more damage in the first place? How are combos any different than 'cake baking'? Once I'm being combo'd my only option is to Kinetic Deflect, and if I have no options I might as well be watching my opponent bake a cake for several seconds while taunting me as my lifebar ticks down. Sure dude you know that cake recipe great but it doesn't have anything to do with the game I'm playing on my side.

Obviously some level of combos are an expectation if the game has stuns, even I realize that if i'm stunned from your first hit and your second hit comes out fast enough and reaches far enough you can hit me with the second hit, thus a combo, but that doesn't change how jarring it feels compared to the rest of the game's design philosophy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lavender Philtrum
May 16, 2011
OK, so, I'm not actually trolling, these are just my actual opinions, let's get that out of the way.

You guys have brought up some good points that have brought me a bit more into favor with the whole combo thing

Even though it's a bit tough to parse I totally see what the fighting game vets are saying about it being too easy or broken in certain ways, however even with those points (the one button DPs and supers, etc) I feel like the "fighting games might just not be for you" thing is BS and I'm glad someone is at least TRYING to make a game that defies conventions and tries to make things more accessible. FPS games didn't stop trying new things after DOOM and there's no reason for the depth of the fighting game genre to stop at Street Fighter and Weird Fast Anime Street Fighter.

• Locked thread