Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

I thought this game was being designed with capcom design elements, not ASW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

The Gorp posted:

It's safe to everyone else. It's like dictators light flip kick, it does chip and isn't punishable by itself and can be used as a pressure chain ender to leave you in a decent spot.

It's definitely not safe to everybody else, I'm almost positive talos can clap punish

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

bhsman posted:

I just restarted RT and it works now, so that's that I guess. :shobon:

Anyone have any baby Edge combos or know where I can find some?

j.2H - M - M - H - special1/special2/super

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

that's the simplest edge combo i know of that doesn't involve links

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

bhsman posted:

Is j.2H supposed to mean only jumping fierce or something more? And thanks.

if you press down and heavy while you're in the air you get a universal crossup attack

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

bhsman posted:

Yeah I was messing around with him and Gamma (special 3?) wallbounce into Super is :stonklol: Man I really wish they would allow for stick functionality, using a keyboard or gamepad for this is the most odd feeling.

if you have a controller or stick you can use joytokey and it works pretty fine since you don't have to worry about rolls

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

melty blood players are true keyboard warriors but they're too busy playing a good fighting game to bother with this american garbage

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

i don't understand why they don't show cooldowns or kinetic but they show lifebars and meter, 2 gauges that are arguably more important to know about

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

Anybody but a first time player is gonna know that after you use your big dp you won't have it again for a few secs so they'll jump in like crazy anyway

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

Talos doesn't really seem to have a strong answer to zoning characters so your best options seem to be playing patiently to look for gaps in offense, maybe use the super armor on his kick into kinetic advance to get you close. It seems like the nature of the inputs make people jumpy so baiting DPs is pretty easy, talos is in a good position after that

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

the crow/talos matchup seems like the only matchup crow has in his favor, lol

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

can't you grab him out of his slide?

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

I recall as crow anyway being able to block edge's low dash slide and then grabbing him on reaction

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

The startup has invul but he can't do it on wakeup like a reversal I don't think

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

metricchip posted:

poo poo, that's a lot more detailed than I realized.

I guess the main thing that's unclear to me is when/why to use the kinetic advance. I think I get the concept of cancels in general but I'm struggling to turn it into something useful.

the general idea of a kinetic advance is to turn stuff that you normally can't combo off into stuff you can, like for instance with kinetic advance vlad can use his super after a throw whereas normally that wouldn't be possible. If you've ever played street fighter 4 the concept is similar to an FADC in that game. On a character to character level they vary in usefulness, but most combo lists have them somewhere or another

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

The links in this game really are pretty much one or two steps away from being gatlings

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

Nobody is above mashing

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

What I personally don't get is the exclusion of auto combos

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

I'm telling you man, autocombo

Noobs wouldn't complain about not being able to do damage and experienced players could learn better routes

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

Wow the guy with a dota av has bad opinions I'm shocked

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

The answer lies in the heart of battle

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

All arguments can be settled via money match

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

I'd rather have marvel than 3 versions of smash

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

Lavender Philtrum posted:

Maybe this was answered before, but what do 'scaling' and 'dp' mean in the context of this game?

in layman's terms, scaling is what happens when a combo goes on for long enough. the longer a combo goes, the less damage a move will do in that combo so if you have a 5 hit combo into a super the super will do less damage by itself than if you just hit the super without doing a combo.

A DP is easy to explain, it's just short for Dragon Punch which is a term used to describe a move that generally rises upward and has invincibility on startup. Moves like these are your go-tos to get out of pressure because they punish people who try to push buttons at you because of the invincibility the move has, but to balance them they often have a long recovery period where you'll eat a lot of damage if you throw them out too much or at a bad time.

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

You'll hear the phrase 'bait the DP' a lot which basically means that you make someone think that it's a good time to use their move, but you don't actually get hit with it and you can punish them for free

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

Either it's me switching to Windows 10 or the game updating but for some reason joy2key doesn't work anymore

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

teagone posted:

I'm on Windows 10 and xpadder still works fine for me. You sure you're running joy2key as admin?

It might have been me not properly exiting out of the program and then re-running it as administrator since it closes to the tray, I'll try again and report back later

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

Advance is just an FADC, you hold up or do a dash to activate it, and deflect is 2 buttons when you're in hitstun

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

deflect is for nerds, who needs a burst when you can have MORE DAMAGE

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

yeah the damage scaling in this game is kind of rear end

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

You should always play a character that you want to play versus ones that will get you wins, but you should be aware that some characters are easier to learn the game on than others no matter what game you play

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

90% of the people i see struggling with fighting games can double their win rates if they just block more instead of trying to beat everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

Safety Scissors posted:

Downloaded this bad boy last night. It's p cool, but I def have a few problems. I've been playing mostly Chel, and the knock down game is just a little nebulous. It just seems that whatever move I throw whether I'm up or knocked down always loses. Sometimes when I'm knocked down I try to wake up DP, which is invincible on start up, and I still lose to non-invincible moves. Sure as hell can't be my execution. Also I'm not sure if you can get up faster or slower, but it sure seems like it.

Edit: Also holy poo poo the Russian and Spanish in this game is just bad. I mean it was never good in SFIV, Zangief said Bol'shoi Pobeda when it should have been Bol'shaya Pobeda, but still c'mon guys.

I think what you're referring to on wakeup is the concept of getting beaten by meaty attacks

http://iplaywinner.com/glossary/general-terms/meaty.html

• Locked thread