Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mattavist
May 24, 2003

taken

Mattavist fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Aug 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

gone

Mattavist fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Aug 1, 2015

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Finally the honorable MMO player has an advantage over FGC scum.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

borf posted:

How long has the wait been for getting in without a code?

I don't think they've sent out any more invite waves since last Friday, when they sent out invites to everyone who had signed up by then. I'd think they'd send out another wave today to get the people that have signed up since then, but odds are decent someone reading this thread can send you a friend invite.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

This weekend my video card locked up a couple times and RT was always capped at 30fps afterwards. Restarting my PC fixed it. Maybe some weird/bad Vsync handling?

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

There is a really weird bug right now where you'll play a match against someone, then after the first game ends it drops you and puts you in a new game against some other person.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

I don't know what that other game you are talking about is but he is the Skullgirls champ.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Can someone good tell me which of Chel's moves are safe on block and which I should be using to punish when I block? Assume I'm an idiot.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Is it? I thought it was always one point per game, so you're only getting more for wins if you're consistently winning 2-0 and losing 1-2.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

No the point is there's no reason to care about rank.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Trykt posted:

I super can't wait for them to add player matches so I can posting challenge shitposters out of the thread.

edit: You know what I'm super loving salty about some IRL poo poo at the moment and shouldn't be posting, all this poo poo is just me being mad for dumb reasons that don't have anything to do with you guys or this thread, I'm sorry

I'll still grudge you!

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Chel's new move is really really bad.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

As Talos? Press super.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

I don't think any real time 1v1 game can be normal enough for normal people.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Lavender Philtrum posted:

Dumb baby effort post incoming. Warning for FYAD-lite posters to just ignore me because I have dumb baby opinions.

As someone who previously loving hated fighting game for how obscure it was to learn how to play them, I've had a lot of fun with RT and find myself coming back to it and excited about updates.

But I feel like the nomenclature involved can be very much a turn-off to someone outside the scene (ie: me) when the advice people give you to get better is just absolutely unapproachable without constantly referencing a glossary. I wish there was some sort of browser plugin that translated it, from stuff as basic as "cr.M" into "crouching medium attack" to the more obscure stuff like "Wake-up FOW" and "c.A into tick throw". Some stuff is self explanatory, but what is c.A? Crouching air?? Crouching attack? What the gently caress is a tick throw?

The fact that everyone in the community expects you to know this second language or constantly reference something/learn it on the fly is absurd and definitely a turn-off, nearly as much as memorizing moves is, to me at least.

Basically every game/hobby/anything has it's own terminology. You can always just google it.

quote:

And combos are still a thing and are still frustrating and feel pointless.

Most combos beyond obvious small juggles feel like something I need to look up online and then practice in the training mode to have any chance of pulling off. That doesn't feel like it goes with the philosophy of the game of being easily accessible and doing away with rote memorization, even though I know I'm kind of a baby for saying that. Yes I COULD just learn them but why. Why do they even exist.

And also they feel pointless in a way, like how once I get launched by Talos unless they whiff it, I ALWAYS KNOW I will hear "Titan drop! Sit down!" or "DENIIIED!" and take additional damage. Why not just do away with the second step of having him combo me and just do more damage in the first place? How are combos any different than 'cake baking'? Once I'm being combo'd my only option is to Kinetic Deflect, and if I have no options I might as well be watching my opponent bake a cake for several seconds while taunting me as my lifebar ticks down. Sure dude you know that cake recipe great but it doesn't have anything to do with the game I'm playing on my side.

Obviously some level of combos are an expectation if the game has stuns, even I realize that if i'm stunned from your first hit and your second hit comes out fast enough and reaches far enough you can hit me with the second hit, thus a combo, but that doesn't change how jarring it feels compared to the rest of the game's design philosophy.

The combos in this game a really short and as a new player they actually give you time to think about what you're going to do next. Instead of getting mad at Talos throwing you again or Dauntless hitting you with 6 more 7 damage jabs you should be considering what your opponent is going to do to attack you next and how you're going to counter that. Take away the combos and the better player is going to steamroll you even harder since it'll feel like you never had a chance to do anything the entire match, you're just getting mixed up all the time without any sort of feeling for when you should be acting.

At the end of the day the RT devs just had to decide how much to remove from current fighting games to try to rope in new people. If they got rid of crouching and jumping attacks to reduce the amount of terminology and cancels to reduce combo length you'd still have people complaining about links and having 8 buttons instead of 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Yeah that's pretty much why I play Chel, the two combos I do with her have no links.

• Locked thread