Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

https://www.reddit.com/r/risingthunder/comments/3f8fgk/biggest_and_longest_salty_rage_ever_seen_on/ctmd9ms

that being said, id like to welcome Moba players to the world of fighting games!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Genetic Toaster posted:

This game is really fun and the fact that scrubs get super angry over their precious execution barriers being gone now makes it even better.

can you explain to me what this means in laymans terms? i'm not really in to the whole "fighting game" thing.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Slow fighting games without a block button are bad. This is one of those games.

This sentiment is stupid.. i didn't know it was possible to be objectively wrong with a preference but you're pioneering a new frontier with rubbish opinions like this

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Chucat posted:

Marvel 1 did this as well, everyone was a winner.
but people that complain about poo poo like not being able to do a combo will just complain about something else once combos are handed to them. these are bads, and they are called bads for a reason. they will always find something to excuse their poor performance. catering to trash tier bads brings poo poo players to the table that wont stick around or ever be worth poo poo.

it doesn't really matter what they do, anyway, because RT is just a lovely alpha/tech demo of ggpo3 they threw together so they can attract an angel investor, cash out and be done with it.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Lavender Philtrum posted:

if I'm understanding correcltly, what you're SUPPOSED to do is block or crouch-block as you get up so that the first attack they hit you with after you wake up is blocked instead of keeping you in a sleep state? And this works even if you have no time to stand up again and actually see your character 'block'?

if you want to block an attack you have to block the attack by blocking when they attack you with their attack.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

SperginMcBadposter posted:

Do you have to stop holding a direction before you can stop a throw?

No

also, heres some unsolicited advice

just play, and play a lot, and test out everything you ponder and wonder about in game. this will make you more familiar with system mechanics and soon the game will feel natural to you. this is also how to effectively learn matchups, through experimentation, like try everything you can think of. The process of feeling out what works and what doesnt work yourself as opposed to just reading about what works is what gives your knowledge the context to make it valuable

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Lavender Philtrum posted:

Maybe this was answered before, but what do 'scaling' and 'dp' mean in the context of this game?

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix:Glossary_of_fighting_games
ctrl f

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

CaptCommy posted:

Other characters need it much more than he does.
well its an alpha test so I don't think they are really planning on updating the characters simultaneously or in the Most Preferable Order for you

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

edit: aaa nm

Zand fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Sep 16, 2015

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

tzz posted:

That's KA's fault though. One button specials by themselves wouldn't be so annoying without it.

one button specials are stupid for a lot of reasons, none of which I'm going to talk about. but they really are stupid, trust me

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Trykt posted:

One button DPs means you can always react to something like Dauntless' overhead or Crow's run, stuff that would normally be useful as a high/low guessing game becomes 100% useless against anyone with a brain. And if you really wanna poo poo on their picnic you can super them on reaction with a single button too!

this^ and also even when buffering stuff in other games to achieve a similar effect, you cannot ever do it as safely and without forfeiting at list a little bit of defense as you can in RT with 1 button invuln moves

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Shockeh posted:

It's fairly simple though; Make DP's not KADC'ble, make Specials not override down/back. These are given out glibly (and would probably conversely make defence borderline impossible against Vlad) but it's the 'sort' of movements that could be considered.

As it stands, every match vs a Chel or Dauntless is basically 'bait the DP, be aware they could cancel after it and bait/punish accordingly.'

with so many flawed concepts that this game is based on, they should probably just stop imo and maybe redesign it from the ground up. trying to shoehorn these weird mechanics (cooldowns, 1 button specials, 8 button fg, custom moves, hidden info about opponent) into a traditional fighting game model makes no sense. some of these have been addressed but patchwork fixes that address single issues haven't yet and wont end up making an elegant system at all. if this game didnt have the cannon name on it people would have already moved on by now.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Coca Koala posted:

Persona and Ultimax have essentially one-button DPs, and I don't think anybody really complained about the slow pace of those games.

it looks like persona did a better job with their implementation than RT then. persona also has much more offense-geared character and system design tho.. measuring a mechanic's ability to change the pace of the game is only really useful in the context of that game, given that any mechanic's value is only relative to the other mechanics of that particular game, including general system stuff and characters as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

DatonKallandor posted:

Frankly I think you are simply massively wrong. Those one button moves have cooldowns. Long cooldowns. You can do far more invincible moves in Street Fighter, MvC or any other non-cooldown fighter. You can be safer more often in those games, yet they're not "too safe" or "slow". RT is simply newer. The windows of vulnerability in RT is longer than in other games. It's not the games fault those windows aren't exploited yet. People just haven't adapted yet. It takes a long time - new poo poo is still being discovered in Street Fighter 4 and that's been out for ages. The idea that RT is already "solved" is absurd.
it would be cool if I could read these kind of posts with the added knowledge of how much experience the poster has with different fighters. not that a lack of experience means that you can't hold an opinion, it would just help me understand why the opinion sucks so much. like you almost sound like you know what your talking about.. you sound like you definitely think you know what you're talking about at least. bravo on that i guess. for someone who claims RT is not already solved and hasn't been out long enough to make sweeping judgements, you seem to have a vivid understanding of not just what cooldowns do for RT on a gameplay level but also the uncanny ability to then make sweeping judgements about the merits of a "cooldown fighter" vs a "non-cooldown fighter." maybe i'm seriously outclassed in this conversation here...

• Locked thread