Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I still haven't got out of the habit of neutral jumping to buffer 360s on Talos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

Trying to do the universal crossup on a stick is super annoying. If you do a down-left or a down-right then you just get a normal heavy. You need to do a perfect down input, which is really easy on keyboard because it's just a single button. On pad and stick I often get a diagonal.

Oh dang, this explains a lot.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I've been doing pretty well with getting in as Talos, but I get blown up by basically every good Kinetic Advance Crow I fight. His pressure just feels incredibly safe with KA and Talos' antiairs are garbage. I'd much rather have people toss halos or fireballs around than deal with that.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
got my first ragequit after baby's first talos reset (boot > j.magnetic buster into super). thank you grappler.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
people need to learn combos, I've won matches I absolutely should have lost because my opponent's arent even trying to maximize damage. i think the scariest match ive had was against a Chel who had some really sick juggle combo that ended in airgrab into super, after i saw that poo poo i had to respect her DP a lot more than i did in basically every other match.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Y-yes?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
speaking of combos what can Talos get off a jab other than more jabs or reset options? because i havenot found anything, though i haven't tried too hard because KA makes pressuring with heavier buttons easy

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Shukaro posted:

it literally is a weird execution barrier for no reason though, is the thing

It isn't, it's a very normal execution barrier - I can't think of a realtime video game that's satisfying to play where you can just sorta press buttons whenever and have poo poo work. And even if it wasn't, hitting a combo you've been practicing is cool, and heck even getting hit by one that you've never seen and thinking "drat that guy has some solid execution" is cool.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Chains are great and I don't see why this game doesn't have a basic one or two for every character, but asking for the complete removal, or even significant reduction, of all links seems silly and sorta implies you don't actually know how startup works on moves.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Man I want lobbies, every 15-25 games I'll get someone who completely kicks my rear end, or at least doesn't fall for the same reset multiple times every round, and I just want to keep running it back but I can't. It's really hard to learn how to reliably get in on good Chel's when I fight one who actually knows how to AA with buttons instead of dp every 50 games or so.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

The Gorp posted:

Every character has a way with dealing with Chel.

Vlad- shorthop pack forward for safe air approach or rapid overhead
Talos- Armor up or grab from a forward dash depending on the read.
Crow - Zone harder
Edge - Gets in for free
Dauntless - S1 through fireball, once you get to midrange

Well I mean yeah academically I know what buttons to press but I'd like to practice it in an actual match with some regularity

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Lavender Philtrum posted:

Maybe this was answered before, but what do 'scaling' and 'dp' mean in the context of this game?

dp = Dragon Punch, which is fighting game jargon for "invincible fast move that is generally very punishable if you whiff or it gets blocked"

scaling = the damage scaling in a combo, where the more hits in a combo the less damage each hit after it does. So while a jab might do 200 damage if you hit with it raw, if you combo three jabs together scaling might make them do 200, 170, 130 each. still better than only hitting one, but not nearly as strong as it'd be without scaling. this game in particular seems to have pretty heavy damage scaling.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Talos' new S1 not being KA cancellable is a pretty big reduction to damage and reset options, but I guess there's no reason not to mess around with it

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Yeah the vast majority of my games are around ping 65-90, with maybe 10-15% of my games touching 150 and I don't think I've seen worse than that, certainly not regularly.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
He has the highest win percentage (and lowest population percentage), that's gonna lead to some weird matchup knowledge

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

DatonKallandor posted:

You mean it turned out to be like all the other fighting games except you have to hit less buttons for the same things to happen. Yeah, that was the intent. It has the exact same mindgames and the same footsies only you don't need to put in any quarter-circle motions.

Not really. It has fewer buttons and fewer specials than most, which means it has less design space. I guess it'd have the exact same mindgame and footsies as any other 3-button fighter where each character only has one super and three specials, but I can't think of any.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I didn't mean variations on the same special you weirdo, I meant unique moves. Generally games with fewer normal buttons - airdash games - have both unique movement options as well as more specials and supers.

• Locked thread