Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
The disconnect bug is really terrible, over half of my matches don't get completed. Sometimes it happens even though we finished the last round.

SnakeEyez is the only Known Person I've fought that I've lost to, but his ping was going from like 70 to 150. The third match we played got disconnected when I was a game up, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

It's unsafe but the risk/reward is very good. At range most chars can't get a great punish unless they have super.

It's not invincible, just has armor. Anything that flashes blue has 1 hit of armor, anything that flashes orange is invincible for as long as they're orange.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I guess there's still people without keys?

U689Q-5TWCY-MBC2E-EN8JH-WKZQT
WRWQX-KCYS8-J2I5I-3C8J2-VNPKK

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

Her sweep is longer range than Dauntless normals and her f+M outranges everything and will go over dauntless cr.M. She can very easily fireball jump cancel or sweep xx fireball jump cancel or any other kind of thing to get out.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

After playing some more and talking to some good players in streams I've revised my personal tier list.

S: Edge
A: Chel, Dauntless
B: Crow
C: Vlad, Talos

They're pretty close though. Some people think Dauntless is better than Chel, but I think Dauntless has a harder time against the other characters (especially Talos) and that the matchup itself is probably even. The only reason they're in the same tier is because Edge is in a tier of his own and separating them would spread it out too much.

Edge is silly, he just has absolutely every tool you'd want in this game save for a fireball, but he deals with them better than anybody else. He probably has the advantage in every matchup, with a large advantage over Crow and Talos.

Chel is super solid, probably only loses to Edge. Good zoning, amazing anti-air, ridiculous damage.

Dauntless has some really good buttons, decent rushdown, amazing corner carry and control, nasty resets and really good confirms into super from random hits. Her DP is way better than people think it is, and gives her ridiculous a corner carry combo or a side switch if you dash cancel it. Lots of ground mobility and tools to deal with fireball or go through pokes. Goes even with Chel and Talos, loses to Edge.

Crow is fisher price vortex char. He has an annoying fireball that's only good because of the limited options in the game, obnoxious buttons and a bunch of gimmicks. His setups are pretty much all reactable once you learn them. Very weak defense, very situational anti-airs, and no real reversal except super. His saving grace is his damage and stun potential and annoying multi-hitting buttons. Advantage over Vlad and Talos. Large disadvantage against Edge.

Vlad is whacky monkey cheese with flight gimmick that isn't actually hard to react to. All his stuff is unsafe and he runs out of flight meter ridiculously fast and it refills ridiculously slow, neutering his pressure. He has a couple of good buttons and can do decent damage, it's just not very often he'll land the hit. His DP is decent but probably the worst Real DP in the game, often trading and not giving him much if he dash cancels. Can use some flight gimmicks to bait DPs. Some people think he's really good but I never see anybody play him so I could be absolutely wrong! Probably disadvantage against everyone but not as badly as Talos. No idea about the Vlad-Talos matchup itself.

Talos is a grappler with no invincible or anti-fireball moves in a game with chars like Edge, Crow, and Chel. He does decent damage and has good reset potential, but with big risks associated with everything. Heavily reliant on Kinetic meter to do anything. Without super, crumbles to pressure. Armor kick is really easy to beat or bait out and super unsafe, though he gets a good reward if it lands. Goes even with Dauntless at best, just because of character archetypes. Loses to everyone else except maybe Vlad?

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

There's nothing close to the kind of bad match-ups that were present in the various iterations of SF2. Plus there's the fact none of these characters are actually "done" yet, since the idea is to have variations on special moves that you can change out.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

The timing on the overhead and low followups for his run are really different. You can generally react and DP the overhead if he's just doing it randomly at neutral, though it doesn't really solve the slide being completely safe on block. A good edge will use them sparingly just to minimize his chances of being DP'd, and to increase their chances of hitting when he does use them. Bad Edges who do literally nothing but the two are easy.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I only played about 8 matches since the patch but none of them ended early.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

Seth Killian drinking himself to death after realizing its impossible to dumb down fighting games enough where people won't complain about having to exert some level of effort into playing them well.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

Design choice: Combos are really easy.

The combos are really easy.

Mission accomplished.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

If tabs ever gets banned for posting cool gifs in fighting game threads I don't want to live anymore.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

Trykt posted:

Noticed there was a patch when I logged in and it appears they nerfed Dauntless KA combo off throw, you only get half the throw's damage before the juggle now so the total damage is 138, used to be more like 168.

It's not a nerf, seems like it's a new bug where the 4th hit of the throw doesn't count as part of the combo. The throw before the KA still does 50 damage, it just randomly starts a new combo count at the 4th hit.

The Gorp posted:

On the bright side, Jab S1 Super is still bonkers scaling and can be abused.

Confirming into super off jab with Dauntless will get you like 300 damage at most and 200-ish if you use multiple jabs. Not exactly seeing what's bonkers about that.

bebaloorpabopalo fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Aug 7, 2015

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

Scaling is based solely on number of moves in a combo, with some moves (mostly ones that launch) counting as "two moves". It's not any different for Dauntless. Edge can do cr.L -> S1 -> Super and do 300 damage, and Edge's cr.L is faster and his Special 1 is safer. Talos can do cr.L -> S3 -> Super and do 300 damage. Vlad can do cr.L -> S3 -> Super and do 300 damage...

Dauntless combo damage is way lower than everybody else and super is literally the only way she can do respectable damage off of a confirm.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

It's really hard to get frame data when you can't make the dummy block. Have to get matched with someone willing to cooperate, record video at 60fps and hope the online doesn't skip/rollback any frames (it will).

I don't think Radiant will be releasing frame data because it clashes with their game philosophy or some dumb poo poo, even though it's going to be one of the most important things to know playing this game.

I know Cold Drill is -6 or -7 at least, though. Edge can punish it with cr.L and it's 6-7f depending on how you measure startup.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

Trykt posted:

Learned a midscreen-only variant to Dauntless forward throw KA today, hold up forward for a jump cancel instead of a dash, then come down with j.H pretty late.

This only works on Dauntless and Talos, I'm pretty sure.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

If Edge can get full animation and a combo off his super in literally every situation there's no reason Dauntless shouldn't.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

The better you are the harder it is to rank up because of the ELO system behind rankings. By time I was in silver my ELO was high enough to where I'd only get matched with like Rico Suave and Snakeeyez and other top players but going mostly even with them (combined with the disconnect bug) meant it was nearly impossible to "progress" and they had already played enough to reach Legend. I think they re-weighted the matchmaking when they fixed the disconnect bug but I didn't play enough after that to get past Diamond.

bebaloorpabopalo fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Aug 17, 2015

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

Lynx Winters posted:

So does this make crouch tech OS a thing?

You can't tech throws while crouching, so no.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

Grimwall posted:

Combo memorization and too many attack types are big parts why I bounced off this game.

Basically I was hoping for an easy to learn, hard to master game. Instead it is hard to learn and hard to master.

An analogy would be dota2 vs heroes of the storm. Was expecting hots, got dota2 instead. I am sure once you sweated trough the needlessly complex basics there is a fun tactical game somewhere there though...

If you want a better moba analogy this would be a hypothetical on-rails tablet and smartphone exclusive moba where you don't have to move at all you just click at stationary things while your char slowly walks down a lane and then people complain that the character walks too fast and the targets are too small to accurately hit things but actually the hitbox is just the entire screen and the game is really a bitcoin miner.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

This game is bad and easy and really really boring.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

One button DPs are a huge issue and go a long way in making the game feel slower and less active.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

It's trivial to react to a bunch of stuff with invincible moves that you can just make safe 5 times a round even if you do screw up. Usually doing these things requires a lot of concentration, anticipation and there is a sense of hesitation because of the risk involved both in potentially whiffing the move or just running into something because you're not paying enough attention to it, maybe you're buffering a motion so you're not blocking. Instead in this game you can just sit there and play molasses footsies with your stubs and if you see them do anything you press your 1 button DP and dash cancel it to safety or big combo.

This leads to people doing nothing or just losing trying to actually do stuff and it's really boring.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

Persona is a much faster game with air movement and I'm pretty sure all the DPs are now air blockable. Not all the DPs are DPs either, some are counters, some only have armor, lots of them are slow enough to safejump, safe meaty, or cancel whatever you're doing to react to them. You also very seldom are able to convert much damage off them so it wasn't that big a deal to get hit by one, versus RT where Chel and Dauntless get some of their best damage off doing random DPs and always convert into knockdowns.

That said lots of people complained about the DPs in that game and that they were cancellable to super. It worked out as people learned how to better bait and punish them. The potential for that exploration isn't there in Rising Thunder. Nobody has problems baiting and punishing DPs, it's that the risk reward is way too good and the situation comes up far too often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

Besides SF4 what fighting game exists where the majority of characters have an invincible reversal that can be made safe using meter. It's almost like putting in the same mechanics that people complained made SF4 slow and boring in an even slower game and then letting you do those things 3x as much and with greater reward only exacerbates the problem.

Also the cooldowns don't matter at all because KA removes the majority of the cooldown and if you don't KA the punish combo is going to last long enough for you to have your DP again.

bebaloorpabopalo fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Sep 18, 2015

• Locked thread