Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

In Training posted:

He Final Fantasy thread is extremely sad because people will be like "playing FF9 for the first time!" And multiple posters will write 3+ paragraphs about how they should play without anybody asking them. They're also insanely easy games anyway

i didnt mention it cuz i said spoilers were ok and i didnt want to talk to him anyway but i was kinda pissed in my zelda thread when i mentioned i was on a temple and that retard sexrex was like youre gonna miss how to do this thing so heres exactly how

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Sexrex can suck my nuts.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There's nothing better than a game which needs no explanation to figure out. Unfortunately what Games doesn't know is that like 70% of games are like that. I never understood the pathological need to be optimal in every game. If a game is really hard and my first few starts don't go well sometimes I look stuff up though.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Larry Parrish posted:

There's nothing better than a game which needs no explanation to figure out. Unfortunately what Games doesn't know is that like 70% of games are like that. I never understood the pathological need to be optimal in every game. If a game is really hard and my first few starts don't go well sometimes I look stuff up though.

Sometimes i'll look stuff up in advance not to be optimal or whatever but just to check if the game even supports the playstyle that i actually want to play, or how to unlock that if its not available at the start. Usually in stuff that has a lot of character building and customization but which doesnt actually tell you what's going to become available at later levels or whatever other withheld info.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

lesbian baphomet posted:

Sometimes i'll look stuff up in advance not to be optimal or whatever but just to check if the game even supports the playstyle that i actually want to play, or how to unlock that if its not available at the start. Usually in stuff that has a lot of character building and customization but which doesnt actually tell you what's going to become available at later levels or whatever other withheld info.

I did this with DQVIII just because they have a summary of the Skills but not the actual moves. I just double checked I was making the characters how I wanted to though, not any min/max planning or whatever. That's for second playthrough a

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

My ever expanding iPhone Note titled "Video Game Builds Notes", ftw.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I think the worst thing i've seen in recent years is the deluge of ignorant gamers telling people to grind in Persona, when those games are built specifically to avoid that behavior. People are bad at the games and think stupidly grinding their levels will work, which it will sometimes, but it's such a stupid way to go about it. Not to mention you never learn how to properly play the games that way and any future title you play will seem like the same impossible wall

Proud Rat Mom
Apr 2, 2012

did absolutely fuck all
I used to get stuck alot in games as a kid.. ffs I git pretty far in mystical ninja starring goemon before losing my way and talking to every dumbass NPC in every town looking for the way to go

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

In Training posted:

theres a bunch of txt files on my desktop that are just named after video games and have a bunch of talent and skill up choices in them, in case i take a long break from the game and then forget whatever i was trying to do, which usually happens.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I hate the concept of grinding so much that I just straight up won't play any RPG that requires any of it.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Proud Rat Mom posted:

I used to get stuck alot in games as a kid.. ffs I git pretty far in mystical ninja starring goemon before losing my way and talking to every dumbass NPC in every town looking for the way to go

I had this problem a lot as well.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Larry Parrish posted:

I hate the concept of grinding so much that I just straight up won't play any RPG that requires any of it.

Thankfully no good JRPG made since 1990 has required it.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

In Training posted:

I have about 80 notepad files for this kind of stuff and they're all titled like "darksouls crap" "souls aids" etc.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
I grinded up to 99 in the last week or so of Persona 3 even though I really didn't need to. I forget why.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I think the worst thing i've seen in recent years is the deluge of ignorant gamers telling people to grind in Persona, when those games are built specifically to avoid that behavior. People are bad at the games and think stupidly grinding their levels will work, which it will sometimes, but it's such a stupid way to go about it. Not to mention you never learn how to properly play the games that way and any future title you play will seem like the same impossible wall

the only real grind in persona is sitting on the fusion screen for hours at a time constantly rerolling your spell lists until they're Correct. and even that isnt necessary unless you just really want to make insane god tier demons

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Somebody bitched about grinding in Persona 4 to beat the Game Dungeon boss and after a few posts of suggestions he revealed he hadn't yet fused a single Persona ....

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I got caught using the house computer to look up how to get past the train sequence in Paper Mario 2 and my stepmom told me I was ruining the experience for myself and that I would never develop problem solving skills if I just looked up what to do all the time, and that shame has stuck with me my whole life.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

In Training posted:

Somebody bitched about grinding in Persona 4 to beat the Game Dungeon boss and after a few posts of suggestions he revealed he hadn't yet fused a single Persona ....

lmfao

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

lesbian baphomet posted:

the only real grind in persona is sitting on the fusion screen for hours at a time constantly rerolling your spell lists until they're Correct. and even that isnt necessary unless you just really want to make insane god tier demons

I'm glad they realized everybody did this and made it a selectable menu of skills.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

lesbian baphomet posted:

if chuck norris was holding a bazooka to my head and demanded i say one negative thing about Nocturne, this would be it

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

In Training posted:

I'm glad they realized everybody did this and made it a selectable menu of skills.

I would have been happy even if they'd just given it a Reroll button. like the worst part wasnt even the randomness, it was having to back out and deselect and reselect demons every time to reset it

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

In Training posted:

AJHHHHHH

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

In Training posted:

:shibe:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

In Training posted:

Blobssknfjd

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

net cafe scandal posted:

I got caught using the house computer to look up how to get past the train sequence in Paper Mario 2 and my stepmom told me I was ruining the experience for myself and that I would never develop problem solving skills if I just looked up what to do all the time, and that shame has stuck with me my whole life.

Powerful Mom.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

My stepmom was a lot like The Boss.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

In Training posted:

one of my friends was grinding trying to keep izanagi all game because he thought you had to have izanagi or something

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
I bought lots of cheap strategy guides at Blockbuster when I was a kid. Sometimes I didn't even own the game, I just liked the cool art+maps.

Dec 26, 2012

In Training posted:

lmao

Dec 26, 2012

In Training posted:

Thankfully no good JRPG made since 1990 has required it.

pretty much

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

I begged my parents to buy me Sierra hint books.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

In Training posted:

that sounds like something uillillia would do, like grinding up to level 99 in the first area in FF12 over the course of 10 hours

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The only good rpgs that i played that required grinding were only after the endgame where i had to power up to fight against ludicrous superbosses. Most games just throw optional sidequests now if you want to level up fast.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

net cafe scandal posted:

Sexrex can suck my nuts.

I'm going to rape him.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

I.N.R.I posted:

y need to use wikis and FAQs and stuff all the time.

Because I'm incredibly lazy now.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
I really liked the hint books for those ancient PC RPGs like Bard's Tale and the gold box SSI AD&D games (pool of radiance etc). I'm not sure they were really necessary, except maybe for Bard's Tale 2's retardo cheap dungeons, but they were kind of fun to have in an era where your only way to get info like that was to pay per minute or buy the books.

Ultima games never really needed them but they were well-written and had some fun fiction and commentary. I really wanted the Wizardry 7 book but never managed to find a copy.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
And you can be drat sure I used to gamefaqs it up as a kid anyawy. Printed out the whole of that big rear end ff7 guide for example.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
i been using gamefaqs for most of my life

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

i gave my friend lisa my account info so she could log in and continue gaining karma for me while i went on a family vacation

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hibbloes
Jun 9, 2007
Yo

rediscover posted:

i been using gamefaqs for most of my life

Also before then if there was a bad ending I'd get it or something cool to be missed I would never see it. I didnt get vincent or yuffie, I got the everyone plays instruments wrong in FF8 and missed a bunch of GFs. RPGs reward the most knowledgeable and that can be lovely for the wrong game.

• Locked thread