Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

i uaed a guide for the talos principle to tell me where all the stars were. some were incredibly bullshit and i dont have time for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I.N.R.I posted:

y need to use wikis and FAQs and stuff all the time.

I need game guides, badly, as a kid but was too poor to afford the magazines.

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I need game guides, badly, as a kid but was too poor to afford the magazines.

i couldnt find the last bomb in mgs2 so i gave my grandma money to buy the guide for me while i was at school

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

SM64Guy posted:

i couldnt find the last bomb in mgs2 so i gave my grandma money to buy the guide for me while i was at school

I think the early ps2 era was the golden age of me beating the poo poo out of videogames with no guide help because I was still too poor to afford mags but too ashamed to go into a magazine store with my Maori mates while we write down cheats and guides word for word for a few hours.

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I think the early ps2 era was the golden age of me beating the poo poo out of videogames with no guide help because I was still too poor to afford mags but too ashamed to go into a magazine store with my Maori mates while we write down cheats and guides word for word for a few hours.

i just snuck tearing pages out of the cheat books and opened the bagged ones to take demo discs

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

i never got caught even though i did it at the same store

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

That loving barrel on Sonic 3.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
I read hints and tips in the pc gamer maga zine, for example how to get the flash light in sam & max

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

In Training posted:

He Final Fantasy thread is extremely sad because people will be like "playing FF9 for the first time!" And multiple posters will write 3+ paragraphs about how they should play without anybody asking them. They're also insanely easy games anyway

To be fair, most of the FF games are insanely easy anyway. Hell, in the first one you can kill 3 of your characters and still beat the game with one guy. Your class doesn't even matter, aside from determining how many times you die somewhere in the last dungeon and have to go through it again. (gently caress you gas dragons)

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
I love the Nintendo Power Player's Guide for FF1 though, it's cool and good. Actually that game was neat cause of the ability to play with pretty much any party. A bunch of black belts named AAAA is my favorite.

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002
this one was my pride and joy

Only registered members can see post attachments!

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
i'm a big boy now and big boys wear diapers and read gamefaqs

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
if i ever get stuck i immediately use a guide because i don't want to wander around in a game for two hours anymore

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

stoutfish posted:

if i ever get stuck i immediately use a guide because i don't want to wander around in a game for two hours anymore

hjave a little faith in your brain.

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

I.N.R.I posted:

hjave a little faith in your brain.

my brain is hosed up

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
too many years of turning energy drinks into a powder and then snorting it

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

stoutfish posted:

too many years of turning energy drinks into a powder and then snorting it

have u heard of the saying, use it or lose it? its why elderly ppl love doing puzzles.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i can't wait until i go senile enough where i forget about morrowind and the souls games so that i can game anew

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
i may never recapture the joy of playing persona 4 when i was 16 ever again

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
i still haven't played p4. is it better than 3

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

rediscover posted:

i still haven't played p4. is it better than 3

I liked it more but reception is fairly divided. They're both some of my all time faves

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

your basing it off of games and neogaff posters op who despite whose entire personalities and lifestyle revolve around playing video games are very terrible at them and cant figure out how to catch fish in a zelda game

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro
I had a guide for yoshi's island as a kid that described this one enemy as a flying condom. a good guide.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Idk

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Fenrir posted:

To be fair, most of the FF games are insanely easy anyway. Hell, in the first one you can kill 3 of your characters and still beat the game with one guy. Your class doesn't even matter, aside from determining how many times you die somewhere in the last dungeon and have to go through it again. (gently caress you gas dragons)

ffx can be done without doing basically anything in the menu

there's a gamefaqs gude for

no sphere grid no summon no customize no overdrive no escape no no encounters no blitzball

CrookedB
Jun 27, 2011

Stupid newbee
i feel like i got dumber as an adult tbh

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011
i played unpatched diablo 2 a lot as a kid and really should have had a guide. couldn't play hell cus of bad skill selection and i dont know how many hours i wasted on duriel

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
I like mechanics guides that tell you damage formulas and how abilities work but not guides that tell you how to win.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

i don't know where i would be today without my majora's mask prima guide

woofbro
Nov 25, 2013

I don't have the time of day and patience anymore. If I'm lost and a guide will help me, or I want to craft/catch/breed something specific I'll look it up. No harm done.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
I used a lot of hints from Caves of Narshe for my FF5 fiesta run. If a boss can be one-shot with some retarded spell or ability I want to know about it!

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
when i was young i found a walkthrough for secret of evermore that had pics and pages and poo poo.. kind of like a fan made strategy guide instead of a huge text dump. it blew my mind and ive never been able to look at faqs the same way since

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
i would get onto cheatcc back in the day and print off pages of the guide for the game i was currently playing, and then i would take them home for my daily gaming after watching wishbone and dragon ball z.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Crimson Harvest posted:

I used a lot of hints from Caves of Narshe for my FF5 fiesta run. If a boss can be one-shot with some retarded spell or ability I want to know about it!

Caves of Narshe FFV is exactly how deep I wish all RPG guides were

Like he will tell you where the 1/32 chance rare steal bow is that you can get early just in case you wanna use it
only one class can use bows

I'm playing through FFX2 now and all the guides are just like "Do all this dumb poo poo to get 100%" I just wanna know how to get broken quickly like doing early teleport sphere tricks in FFX

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I just wanna know how to get broken quickly like doing early teleport sphere tricks in FFX

Like mother like son I suppose.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
I got stuck at the part in links awakening where you have to kill the enemies in the swamp dungeon in a certain order for a really long time because i didn't know how to read or maybe I did but I wasn't good enough at reading comprehension to understand what the owl statue was telling me to do.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
Twinks awakening

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
sorry. i have a disease. no its not contagious

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
it should be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

sector_corrector posted:

i can't wait until i go senile enough where i forget about morrowind and the souls games so that i can game anew

Memento but instead of polaroids you watch your own Let's Play on a smartphone.

• Locked thread