Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
I wonder if Maeda wrote that song too. Seemed like his level of engrish in those lyrics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

quote:

In 2015, Marina reunited with Maeda for the anime series Charlotte as the vocalist for the fictional in-story band Zhiend.

I knew it! I want that song and I want it now.

She's the same singer as the one who did the songs in Angel Beats along with LiSa.

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

She's the same singer as the one who did the songs in Angel Beats along with LiSa.

Combo'd with Sawashiro again too. Who went a little Wakako this ep aswell.

Sasuga Japan.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

me_irl.png

Also, the new lady is rad as hell. Also the MC and Nao have a hell of emotional connection, when Nao isn't dialling up the manipulativeness.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

Also the MC and Nao have a hell of emotional connection, when Nao isn't dialling up the manipulativeness.

Totally rooting for these two superpowered teenage sociopaths to find happiness together. :unsmith:

And maybe spare the rest of us in their thousand-year-reign of horror, bloodshed, and unpleasantly creative use of dango skewers.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

same, that scene was perfect.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

cute nao this episode

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Wtf is going on :psyduck:

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
the start of a maeda ending

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Tamba posted:

Wtf is going on :psyduck:

Save the Cheerleader, save the world.

This is literally Heroes season 1. :3:

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
I think this show just became my #1 for the season. I'm loving the Gemini Rue theme.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Blhue posted:

the start of a maeda ending

So Jun Maeda is the Japanese version of Neal Stephenson?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Razzled posted:

I think this show just became my #1 for the season. I'm loving the Gemini Rue theme.

!!!! I LOVE YOU!!!

Have you also played Resonance? This company makes the best adventure games I swear.

Aside from Danganronpa I wonder what Japanese adventure games and visual novels have a similar feel.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Raenir Salazar posted:

!!!! I LOVE YOU!!!

Have you also played Resonance? This company makes the best adventure games I swear.

Aside from Danganronpa I wonder what Japanese adventure games and visual novels have a similar feel.

I have not but mostly because of laziness. Since you mention it I'll make a note to play it. I really like those kind of games. I recently played DR2 on the vita and that was amazing as well

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Well, that certainly kicked into high gear way too quickly. They could have smoothed out the pacing by cutting some of the early episodes. And some of the show deliberately lying and misleading the audience also rubs me the wrong way. Oh well, let's see where the next episode takes it and puts the events of the last 9 in context.

Also, why no mosh pit? Is it not a Japanese thing?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

yeah this should be like episode 9 of a 24 episode show. it feels like we're only now being introduced to the actual premise of the show

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Its sort of weird since I seem to recall the concerts that occurred in Angel Beats were more concerty, (see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6l1apVaZJZ0) rather than rock fans sitting calmly in rows of folding chairs.

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009
Finally. Here we go after 8 episodes of 12? 13?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
How come Jun Maeda creates such awesomely inspired shows but is never trusted enough with an actual budget to have a two-cours series where he can properly pace himself?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

clannad + after story is the best thing jun maeda will ever write.

it's up to you whether this is an insult or not

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I'm pretty sure this is 2 cour anyway.

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009

Phobophilia posted:

I looked into it, it would seem to be the case.

http://i.imgur.com/hOSODAL.jpg

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Blhue posted:

Its sort of weird since I seem to recall the concerts that occurred in Angel Beats were more concerty, (see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6l1apVaZJZ0) rather than rock fans sitting calmly in rows of folding chairs.

It's not a rock concert, it's a post-rock concert. :haw:

Phobophilia posted:

Let's hope so. Wikipedia says 13 episodes, but hopefully it's wrong. Also hopefully, this doesn't end up with Yuu getting his brother's power and 17 episodes of him travelling back in time and trying to make Nao fall in love with him all over again or something.

e; vv it feels like there's been a larger than usual amount of one-cours shows being made with the pacing of a 2-cours show to minimise financial risk this year, so I could see this being another one.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Aug 30, 2015

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
No, it's definitely just a one-cour show. It's a shame because I was really hoping for an R&R episode.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Almost everything in this episode was hinted at in the previous episodes btw. And the OP in particular.

Very satisfying.

Kild fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Aug 30, 2015

smenj
Oct 10, 2012
To be honest, what I think the show needs most is better subs. So many scenes, lines, and jokes which seemed otherwise fine that were worded incredibly awkwardly for no particular reason.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
So is this series just going to turn into Steins;Gate now?

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

InspectorCarbonara posted:

So is this series just going to turn into Steins;Gate now?

Speaking of that, I was wondering why the protagonist had memories from a timeline which, from his perspective at least, never happened. His brother said the other guy had erased the protagonist's memories, but he should've never had them in the first place unless he had something like Okabe did in Steins;Gate. Where's the limit on this? Who else remembered? It can't have been too many, or the guy wiping the memories never would've been able to get everyone. Maybe only people nearby when the time-leap happened remembered? Maybe it never happened at all, and the memory-manipulation guy has planted some false memories in his head as part of some elaborate plot. Perhaps it's just a plot hole, though that'd be disappointing.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

smenj posted:

Perhaps it's just a plot hole, though that'd be disappointing.

We still don't know the extent of his brother's time-travel powers, so for all we know he can take some people with him or something. It's a bit early to be calling it a plothole.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Sep 1, 2015

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Well, that all went oddly smoothly. Wonder when and how the other shoe's going to drop?

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Darth Walrus posted:

Well, that all went oddly smoothly. Wonder when and how the other shoe's going to drop?

Never :ohdear:

Any more leaping and I'm gonna need a Primer-wiki diagram explanation

smenj
Oct 10, 2012
Well, that still didn't explain why the main character remembers any of the other timelines, especially since the one he remembered didn't appear to be the last one his brother leaped from, so I'm a little confused about that. Hopefully that gets explained somehow. Also, he needs to remember to get around to helping out Nao's brother again, since he hasn't done that yet at this point.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Darth Walrus posted:

My thoughts exactly. :ohdear:

Unless the next episode is just retreading curing the brother and maybe hunting down the original evil organization; I'm amazed they never seemed to have recruited that scientist guy at any point.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

smenj posted:

Well, that still didn't explain why the main character remembers any of the other timelines, especially since the one he remembered didn't appear to be the last one his brother leaped from, so I'm a little confused about that. Hopefully that gets explained somehow. Also, he needs to remember to get around to helping out Nao's brother again, since he hasn't done that yet at this point.

The only timeline that Yuu remembered was the timeline from which he had timeleapt originally. Also, Shun's body always reverted to the age he was at at the time to which he leapt back. Quantum entanglement or something similar caused the original timeline to be preserved across all timelines, at least in some sense, for those that had been party to that timeline, or something, since we know that it can go backward in time http://www.livescience.com/19975-spooky-quantum-entanglement.html

On the other hand, Ayumi Only remembered the existence of a third member of their nuclear family, with nothing to suggest that either she or anyone else remembered the original timeline.

EDIT: Just rewatched the segment from ep 9: It's unclear which of the two actually leapt and there were gunshots at the very end of his memory and a black screen, so it's entirely possible, but I thought it had been more clear that it was Yuu that had originally leapt.

Kytrarewn fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Sep 5, 2015

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Kytrarewn posted:

The only timeline that Yuu remembered was the timeline from which he had timeleapt originally. Also, Shun's body always reverted to the age he was at at the time to which he leapt back. Quantum entanglement or something similar caused the original timeline to be preserved across all timelines, at least in some sense, for those that had been party to that timeline, or something, since we know that it can go backward in time http://www.livescience.com/19975-spooky-quantum-entanglement.html

On the other hand, Ayumi Only remembered the existence of a third member of their nuclear family, with nothing to suggest that either she or anyone else remembered the original timeline.

EDIT: Just rewatched the segment from ep 9: It's unclear which of the two actually leapt and there were gunshots at the very end of his memory and a black screen, so it's entirely possible, but I thought it had been more clear that it was Yuu that had originally leapt.

I thought it was pretty clear that it was his older brother about to time-leap in episode 9. Would've thought they would've made it clearer if what'd actually happened was that Yuu had nicked his power and then gone back himself, only for it to not work out and his older brother having to go back some more, but I guess that's what could've happened. Still, even then, it doesn't exactly explain why he kept the memories, since those events would be erased just the same by his brother's own time-leaps that took place afterwards. I'll stop going on about it now, in any case, but I hope it gets addressed in the show.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Well, as long as Yuu has positive influences around him to repress his latent sociopathy, he should be okay for the next 3 years, and won't become the villain.

Actually, now that I think about it, having Yuu on the council team was probably a bad idea, Yuu could have, at any time, possessed some of the other members (for legitimate or illegitimate reason), and destroyed the ability of the council to function. And once they lose their abilities, Yuu is going to work out that he can keep them, and then there is nothing to check him.

I think they should have left it as "can temporarily borrow their powers" than "permanently drains their powers". Right now, it's sloppy writing.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Yeah that bothered me too. Just ridiculously reckless to the point of being dumb. The other council members were incredibly casual with their ability use too, it would be nothing for them to get possessed.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

We still don't know the extent of his brother's time-travel powers, so for all we know he can take some people with him or something. It's a bit early to be calling it a plothole.

Didn't the brother just straight up say he takes whatever he see's with him? Which would be Yuu during the escape, and Nao in the last one? She is certainly cagey enough in the porch scene to still remember. It's not that big of a leap to imagine her being pissed about her brother or something.

The ability having something like that would go a long ways towards making the empire he apparently runs more feasible too.

CuLT
Sep 9, 2005

Darth Walrus posted:

Well, it looks like Ayumi's friend / spurned suitor was about to save her in the nick of time, but instead just ended up seeing the whole special-power spectacle. He also arrived in a black car, so he's probably from money.. perhaps A SYNDICATE?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Wrong person, she's from Shun's crew.

And even if they did see it, so long as the ability-user is enrolled in that school, no one can abduct her. Just how they are able to influence the government to protect them from the scientists is unclear. Money plus blackmail material? In any case, I think Shun's syndicate and the scientists have some kind of detente going on, the school is off-limits, but the scientists can harvest people from any other prefecture in Japan. If Shun starts expanding his influence, at some point the scientists are going to escalate to higher in the food chain and declare all-out-war on Shun.

• Locked thread