Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

there's one more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i'm pretty sure

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

good confession

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
i checked the op after and it said 13 episodes, so yeah.

CuLT
Sep 9, 2005

Ugh, this is straight into Aldnoah territory. Don't know if I'm even going to be bothered watching the last episode.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Blhue posted:

Was that the last episode? If so it was definitely a "we sure hope we have a second season" last episode.

There's been a whole bunch of 13-episode series that feel like they're paced like 26 episode series and just hoping to get picked up for a second cours this past year, it feels like.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

There's been a whole bunch of 13-episode series that feel like they're paced like 26 episode series and just hoping to get picked up for a second cours this past year, it feels like.

I could see wanting 4 more episodes after this point, but not 13 more by any means.

And yeah, the first thing I did after watching was check MAL to make sure it was 13 episodes.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
They just neutralised and removed the entire supporting cast. You can certainly argue that resolving the main conflict offscreen between the last two episodes is bad writing, but there's no way they're angling for a second season here.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

They just neutralised and removed the entire supporting cast. You can certainly argue that resolving the main conflict offscreen between the last two episodes is bad writing, but there's no way they're angling for a second season here.

Well, certainly not anymore, but the feel across these last few episodes (attempting to set up these seemingly big conflicts and then immediately getting rid of them) is that they were definitely hoping to get a second season at some point, and perhaps got told they wouldn't get one, so they're just throwing away all their remaining plot threads one by one.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Again I really gotta ask in a rhetorical way, why does Maeda get shafted every time? He really needs 24 episodes for both Angel Beats and this and yet he never gets it.

This episode punched me in the gut a bunch of times. :(

Outer Science
Dec 21, 2008

Daisangen

Raenir Salazar posted:

Again I really gotta ask in a rhetorical way, why does Maeda get shafted every time? He really needs 24 episodes for both Angel Beats and this and yet he never gets it.

i mean neither this nor angel beats was ever primarily focused on the central conflict itself, the point was always how the protagonist (and no one else really) responded to it and grew because of it. and the pacing on yuu's personal conflicts has been not-terrible.

like the formula in charlotte is pretty disappointingly standard: protagonist with explicitly obvious character flaw is coerced into a situation the flaw plays poorly with, slowly comes around to fragile improvement, improvement is shattered, protagonist causes terrible thing, is forced to confront it, has revelation and ascends to some zen buddha poo poo, is rewarded for personal growth.

this is the entire focus of the show and the x-men conflict is really only important as far as it drives that character growth. as of this episode, we're firmly in zen territory with promise of reward so resolving the conflict is actually pretty unnecessary.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

jun maeda somehow managed to accentuate everything he does well and minimize everything he does poorly to write After Story and he will never again write anything actually good, sorry

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Cake Attack posted:

jun maeda somehow managed to accentuate everything he does well and minimize everything he does poorly to write After Story and he will never again write anything actually good, sorry

I feel like Kyoto have a hand in improving Maeda's source material too.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

oh yeah that too, kyo ani rules

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Cake Attack posted:

I agree that After Story was his magnum opus, but I am still enjoying this one too. Atleast the art isn't so goofy looking now

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Did we ever even figure out why those chicks were beating the poo poo out of Nao at school?

Nao was like the only good character anyways. Good on her for only agreeing to go out with Yuu if he accomplished a task that, by all rights should be completely loving impossible given he got owned by a 12 year old with a knife in the last episode. That's the most Nao way possible to reject some idiot that's hot for you based on poo poo you did in an entirely different timeline you have no loving way of knowing about.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

And thus, bro-sempai never heard his lullaby and rages to this day.

Everything about the blind dude is terrible and ruined the series I'm pretty sure.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
"Get everyone's powers before you lose yours"

Wouldn't everyone's powers disappear at the same time anyway?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

nah the idea is that much like adults become lactose intolerant, they also become magic intolerant. so everyone who was like 1-17 got comet powers and they'll lose them when they become 18 so anyone who was younger than yu would still have powers once he loses his

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
The first half, especially Yuu coming to terms with his failures and limitations was pretty emotionally satisfying. As was the confession.

But are you loving kidding me? Yuu is not competent to jet around the world, alone, taking other people's superpowers. He can dish out punishment, but he is not able to take any. Yuu panics far too easily, stab him and he's stunned for minutes. Yuu needs a support network around him in order to function, or to make the best use of his abilities.

Also, other syndicates should be aware of Yuu's existence as a walking superweapon, and can easily counter him. He can only turn invisble against one (1) other person. At this rate, he's walking meat.

Also, how was he expecting to find people with superpowers? Is he going to channel Kumagori and have him write down names and locations? If so, why didn't he pop out in front of Shun and alleviate his best friend's suffering?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Also, just as the scientists and syndicates kidnapping ability users is a human rights violation, so is Yuu Plundering abilities. Who the gently caress gave him the right to do that? Yes, in this universe, superpowers are a liability because they are only temporary, but someone going around stripping away powers and adding them to himself is a bad thing.

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
I don't think you should expect much in this show to make any sense. They've wasted away at least 5 episodes worth on nonsense filler.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Phobophilia posted:

Also, how was he expecting to find people with superpowers? Is he going to channel Kumagori and have him write down names and locations? If so, why didn't he pop out in front of Shun and alleviate his best friend's suffering?

They did address this at least - they assume someone in the syndicate has a similar power, so Yu should start there. But yeah, not the most solid of plans overall.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
He has a rough start but his and Nao's powers are all he needs to handle a situation where he isn't caught unaware or outnumbered by multiple power users. It all hinges on looting that clairvoyant, because doing so cripples the syndicate while giving him complete control of his own goals.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
At least one enemy syndicate has his name and picture on file. He really needs to go as part of a team.

But really, what's more likely to happen is all the Plundering is going to happen off-screen, so that way Yuu's on-screen vulnerabilities will be brushed over. I'm 50:50 on Yuu dying at the end as some kind of Jesus metaphor, but I don't expect him to straight-up lose.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Phobophilia posted:

Somehow I had completely forgotten about Yusa's ability during all of this nonsense. That's not the worst idea, though it's probably not possible for the time being. Remember Misa's explanation to Yu about how the power works. "My existence is like a balloon being held in this plane by Yusa" or whatever the specific line was.

Is there anyone presently dead who is dear enough to Yu that the ability would trigger?

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
Misa saying goodbye to her family was really touching. This and the last episode of Wakako-zake made for two very sentimental food-based episodes. It's also very touching and tragic about the fact that Yuu sacrificed the events that would have him and Nao develop mutual feelings for each other, and their conversations in this episode drove home that she's probably never going to see him as anything but a close friend.

Phobophilia posted:

Also, just as the scientists and syndicates kidnapping ability users is a human rights violation, so is Yuu Plundering abilities. Who the gently caress gave him the right to do that? Yes, in this universe, superpowers are a liability because they are only temporary, but someone going around stripping away powers and adding them to himself is a bad thing.

Ha ha ha, what??

Everyman
Jun 4, 2009
I don't know whether I'm disappointed or relieved the resolution wasn't Yuu somehow time leaping to his child self after gaining a power that lets him nuke the comet out of orbit or something.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Everyman posted:

I don't know whether I'm disappointed or relieved the resolution wasn't Yuu somehow time leaping to his child self after gaining a power that lets him nuke the comet out of orbit or something.

I expected the solution to be for Yuu to time leap into the past with a big bottle of vaccine and mix it in with HepB vaccines or something. But I guess he can't presently timeleap until he finds the one guy whose power is that he can regenerate his eye.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

is it just me or did they completely gently caress up the subtitle timing in the new episode

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

is it just me or did they completely gently caress up the subtitle timing in the new episode

Nah, me too. Hopefully they should be able to easily fix it (if they actually bother), since the timing seemed to at least be off consistently from what I could see by skipping about the episode. They just need to move all the subs back about five seconds or something.

EDIT: Fixed now, it would seem.

smenj fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Sep 26, 2015

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
It occasionally happens on CR not sure if that's a source thing or just CR in general.

Anyway I think you guys should be a little more fair to this show picking at every little logical inconsistency is kind of unfair for critiquing an anime. I don't think the threshold for suspension of belief was too high for this show.

I liked it a lot overall and I think this last episode wraps it up pretty neatly and kind of highlights how Yuu has both grown and regressed/stagnated at the same time.

Glad I watched this show!

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Either they fixed it quickly or I'm just not observant, since it seemed fine to me.

Anyway, show was okay.

Blhue fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Sep 26, 2015

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Blhue posted:

Either they fixed it quickly or I'm just not observant, since it seemed fine to me.

Anyway, show was okay.

they fixed it, it was super noticeable because subs wouldn't show until a second or so after a line was completely spoken

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Oh wow, they actually spent the whole episode showing him gather those abilities. I'm impressed.

I like how with enough abilities he did end up managing to bypass the draw backs (teleporting, flight) except for the whole falling down like a doofus when he steals an ability.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
I don't see how they could have done the last episode any better given what they'd prepared to that point, so well done to them.

In the end, though, the entire episode with Zhiend was wasted, as well as just about everything [Yu|Mi]sa did or said over the entire course of the show, except of course for the drama involving Misa's final departure.

I would have liked a few more episodes showing Yu going around the world stealing abilities in their stead.

EDIT: The right-hand drive car in the US annoyed me, though.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Kytrarewn posted:

EDIT: The right-hand drive car in the US annoyed me, though.

Personally, I liked how the only major cities they bothered naming were New York and Beijing, so when Yuu was sat in a hotel with Big Ben right outside the window, it was apparently just 'Some city in the United Kingdom'.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
This show's nice, happy ending is exactly what I needed after Gakkou Gurashi's ending. I was expecting Yuu to die after his outburst in Arizona, so even if he and Nao have to start over again, at least he accomplished his insane goal and survived.

And, hey, Nao's brother got his brain-fixing music after all. Everything's going to be alright. :)

Kytrarewn posted:

I would have liked a few more episodes showing Yu going around the world stealing abilities in their stead.

I would have liked to have seen him raid more research facilities.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

wtf there's more? last week was a perfect episode to throw everything in the fire and walk away. *crosses fingers for yu waking up in a hospital after having passed out at the concert*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009
So um they never explained how he remembered a future he never experienced. Okay.

Um, at least Nao was a good character.

• Locked thread