Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

texasmed posted:

Hopefully I can recreate some US military designs and see how they work.

The issue I have found with this is that meter^3 minimum on blocks make it hard to make anything smaller than a battle ship, unless you do a reverse scale. In which case your ship costs become insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hagop
May 14, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Explosions have a somewhat irritating propensity to go through the seam between turret and vehicle and pop the connection through the hull. I also think they sometimes damage things through solid blocks.

The best bet I have found if to make the above deck turret as big as you can and make the threw deck connector as small as you can, also armor both the bottom of the above deck turret and the deck beneath it as well.

5 blocks between the edge of the above deck turret and the edge of the connection hole seems to stop explosion damage from snaking in between your turret and deck to detonate your below deck turret with out killing the armor, at least for reasonable sized expositions.

Hagop fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Aug 20, 2015

Hagop
May 14, 2012

Michaellaneous posted:

Turret rings work in the game I think, you can put blocks directly against each other and it won't cause any problems.

Explosion damage will slip in between hull top and turret bottom even if there is no gap between those two things.

OwlFancier posted:

Actually getting turrets to not pop off is remarkably hard, a huge number of the ingame designs are extremely susceptible to it, the turrets pop well before the ship takes much damage. Even a perfect seam isn't necessarily treated as such by the game, because the blocks aren't connected.

I start all my turrets on the very bottom of my hull, that plus the 5 block space, fully armored below deck turret compartments, and low free board means I very rarely lose my turrets before I lose my firing pieces.

Hagop fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Aug 20, 2015

Hagop
May 14, 2012

texasmed posted:

The only problem I see with boats this small are getting a gun on it with any appreciable amount of firepower. It seems like you always need a barrel 15 squares long to ensure good accuracy, and then you need 6 auto loaders to feed it.

Much like WW 1 DDs if you want a small ships to be a threat, give them torpedoes(missiles).

Hagop
May 14, 2012

I would try either replacing the bottom of your boat with lead, or mounting thrusters to the top of you boat that fire when you go forward.

• Locked thread