Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

The campaign is honestly fantastic and I look forward to the day the multiplayer is good enough for dedicated servers and faction warfare, because that'd be fun as heck. I love this game for all of its ambition and detail. Good, proper submarines are a pain to build and that's how it should be. And it isn't unnecessarily detailed except for maybe the engines, it is fantastic fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

Lasers generally beat most other weapons hands down, especially against aerial targets. The ideal ship is basically a big laser.

I've found missiles to be far more effective. Lasers are great for AA fire though, since they can do lots of focused damage.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

You can kinda make decoys through fake engine blocks attached to bits that stick out, with anti-missile defence all around it.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

UberJew posted:

it seems like a recessed turret with the ammo and connector inside an armor citadel should be as resilient as anything, do they break without being directly hit or something

The recessed turret is actually very possible, its just that if the enemy breaks through the armour on one side the gun entirely breaks. It would be better to be able to designate at least a 3x3 base to the turret.

Also, kamikaze planes outfitted with rams and explosives that are fired from a sky-carrier are actually highly cost-effective. I'm trying to test mini-subs in order to see if they're effective at all against any targets. Missile subs are very potent though, as are standard torpedo subs.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

That's over 30 knots. I'm pretty sure you'll need a lot more weight to keep it in the water.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

dylguy90 posted:

I've been following this game for a while and can't wait to dive in, but I was curious what you guys thought about the cannons. Right now, IIRC it's pretty trivial to make most custom cannons fire at machine-gun speed, which looks really silly on the larger battleships. It's a trivial point but I'm curious if anyone else has similar feelings about it. I'd love to have slower-firing guns that fire a much more powerful shell.

I believe that's what the upcoming cannon overhaul is going to be mostly focused on. There'll still be the silly machine guns, but they'll be far less powerful than proper cannons.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

Bit of a bump but thought some of you might be interested in the new cannon overhaul.

It looks like a mad scientist's experimental weapon. I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Foo Diddley posted:

Oh hey, this thread's still alive? Cool. A lot has changed in the game since people were posting in it: the switch to the one resource system, the new detection mechanics, steam engines, adventure mode, and so on

Anyway it's definitely worth four bux, so go grab that bundle if you don't already have the game

Oh wow, I forgot the game existed, all that sounds good! Pleasant surprise.

• Locked thread