Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yay someone else made a thread. I think mine dropped into the archives.

It's a good game. Buy it. It's neat. Make a flying battleship and fight bad guys.

MrBims posted:

*Keels are absolutely necessary for staying afloat

Pontoons also work :v: And they give you more space to put guns.

There's supposedly a big cannon overhaul coming soon which I'm pretty stoked for, the recent overhaul of the battle system and battle command UI was very good.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Aug 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Infinite Monkeys posted:

This game is awesome. Finally got my first all-metal ship to work, it has a gigantic double barreled cannon on a turret with a 360 degree arc, and two batteries of five anti-air missiles. It absolutely shreds anything except aerial targets with anti-missile defences. I guess for those I just want a gun with high elevation and rate of fire?

Lasers generally beat most other weapons hands down, especially against aerial targets. The ideal ship is basically a big laser.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Infinite Monkeys posted:

I tried making a giant laser once, it was absolutely enormous but when I used it against a Marauder (my standard testing target) all it did was snipe off individual blocks from the Marauder's hull every time it fired - it was far less effective than a similarly sized missile battery or cannon would be. Is there some trick to building lasers that I'm missing?

Split the laser more, you can add more barrels and more Q switches to make it fire more beams at once, and cycle faster. Essentially going for maximum power isn't too useful, but you can simply spread out that power more and more until you're firing a laser machine-shotgun at things, and you can stick all of that into a very compact turret, limited only by the number of barrels you want to give it.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I've found missiles to be far more effective. Lasers are great for AA fire though, since they can do lots of focused damage.

Missiles have been buffed heavily recently, though they've always been quite good, but they are also hard countered by laser defences which non-DWG ships (and even some DWG capships) will have a lot of.

Going up against a full metal battleship bristling with guns and laser defences will make missiles less effective, though torpedoes will still work because lasers don't hit them underwater.

Lasers are harder to counter, the only thing that works is smoke dispensers and I don't think many ships mount those, and I don't know how well they work even if they do.

I really hope the cannon overhaul also touches on turret mounts because it's really annoying how easy they are to pop by hitting the single, fragile, connector block through a tonne of armour.

I like to build battleships but the turret popping propensity makes me tend towards just loving everything to death.

Also yes rocket powered battleships are completely practical.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Aug 19, 2015

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

UberJew posted:

it seems like a recessed turret with the ammo and connector inside an armor citadel should be as resilient as anything, do they break without being directly hit or something

Explosions have a somewhat irritating propensity to go through the seam between turret and vehicle and pop the connection through the hull. I also think they sometimes damage things through solid blocks.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Michaellaneous posted:

Turret rings work in the game I think, you can put blocks directly against each other and it won't cause any problems.

You can, it's just that isn't how a turret ring works, the actual connecting part is a single pivot block, whereas a turret ring can function even with part of it removed because the rest of it will still hold the turret on.

Actually getting turrets to not pop off is remarkably hard, a huge number of the ingame designs are extremely susceptible to it, the turrets pop well before the ship takes much damage. Even a perfect seam isn't necessarily treated as such by the game, because the blocks aren't connected.

This is, in some ways, another benefit of lasers, because with enough steering mirrors you can get 360 degree coverage with five overlapping static laser barrels.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Aug 20, 2015

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Michaellaneous posted:

The issues with turrets is, well...having them armored and effective takes so much space. Shields are rather effective, and getting powerfull engines isn't too hard. Use more shields, use IR flare launchers and smoke deployers. Don't rely on your metal alone.

Also, angle your armor whereever possible.

Also don't put ammo boxes (even turret ones) near each other, they chain react.

Does angled armour actually help? I know the slope blocks don't actually count as slopes for the purpose of collisions but I dunno if there's some hacky special case for projectile weaponry.

It's hard to tell in any case because explosive damage doesn't seem to give a buggery one way or the other and that usually wipes out any block it hits.

It would be nice if, like in real life, non-perpendicular hits stood a good chance of bouncing off without detonating, or if the explosion itself were deflected as well. It's currently quite trivial to put enough explosive damage onto a shell to render the impact fairly irrelevant.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Aug 21, 2015

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

texasmed posted:

Today I learned that you need multiple air-tight compartments on your boat so when water gets in it won't sink.

Yeah yall are designing super-ships and I'm over here trying to make something float :shrug:

The only problem I see with boats this small are getting a gun on it with any appreciable amount of firepower. It seems like you always need a barrel 15 squares long to ensure good accuracy, and then you need 6 auto loaders to feed it.

edit: I have to use minimum graphics because once you load more than 10 million RP worth of crap, the game really chugs.

2: A nice trick with cannons that I learned is to mount the firing piece inverted, allowing you to make for a much lower-profile turret. I kind of wish they would just put a connector on the bottom of the firing piece to prevent me having to do that, though.

There are some alternatives.

1. Fill spaces with wood, or light metal alloy, both are less dense than water and will float regardless of being airtight. Useful if your ship is too small to compartmentalise, also serves as extra armour for your internal components.

2. Much like real life, the solution for high firepower on small boats is to not use cannons. Missiles and torpedoes are much more powerful for their size and footprint, cannons are mostly good against large targets at long range, though on the whole honestly cannons aren't very good.

3. You don't have to put guns in turrets, the firing piece itself has some traverse, you will have to sacrifice some accuracy (for your barrel length, anyway) but you can put your ammo and stuff throughout the ship.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Trochanter posted:

So I just got this game during the sale, and I'm trying to build a fast attack boat. Unfortunately, once it gets above 18-20 m/s, it decides to do its best imitation of a dolphin:

http://gfycat.com/TensePeskyGypsymoth

The boat raises out of the water, balances on its propellers and tips over backwards until it capsizes. It simply will not remain stable over 20 m/s. I've tried everything I can think of to fix it; long noses, short noses, flat and pointed bottoms, hydrofoils, upwards-facing propellers on the stern, keels and counterweights.
On both ends.

I try to align my propellers with the COM, but no how many I add or however I arrange them, once it gets over 20 m/s , up it goes. It's like some kind of threshold that can't be passed.
I'm kind of out of ideas here. I Any suggestions?

If you look at your gif, you'll see that the lower propellers are contacting the water first (obviously) and this is causing the whole ship to tilt upwards due to the offcentre thrust. It doesn't matter how balanced your potential thrust is if part of it is lifting out of the water and thus not applying any force, the bottom of the ship will always get first dibs on thrust. You may be able to also solve the problem by removing the propellers which are lower than your CoM.

Otherwise, make it longer, make it heavier along its length, and use hydrofoils to lift it out of the water.

Also consider powering it with jet engines rather than just propellers, as propellers will somewhat necessarily be mounted more below the center of mass than above (because if your boat has as much surface area above the CoM as below it underwater, it has sunk) but sticking some air based propulsion on the top helps force the nose down.

Boats do tend to lift out of the water a bit but you can build them to go pretty fast, it's just tricky to balance it, but a good start would be, as suggested, making it heavier. It's less about the mass and more about the drag, very heavy ships can move very fast if they have sleek profiles in the water. What you want is basically a seacat.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Aug 24, 2015

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yes I am very hopeful that the cannon overhaul will improve them, they're not in a very good place at the moment, volume matters far more than build quality.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Missiles have a distinct advantage of being able to attack targets of all types depending on what loadout you use, and are also extremely compact for their power. A massive rack of missiles is very powerful and takes up less space than a comparable cannon or laser.

Additionally, torpedoes are the only weapon type that isn't blockable, as laser defence doesn't work against underwater targets, while smoke screens and shields can block laser and cannon rounds, while EMP warheads can seriously damage and short out key systems without having to get through armour first.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bit of a bump but thought some of you might be interested in the new cannon overhaul.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

http://www.fromthedepthsgame.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4

http://www.fromthedepthsgame.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=723

http://www.fromthedepthsgame.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=10051

There's quite a lot of information in the threads there. Start at the back and work forwards I would say.

Long and short is you get customisable ammunition, more cannon parts, and more intricate reloading mechanics. More options for machine gun cannons or sniper cannons and the like.

They can fire very fast shells:

http://i.imgur.com/4aUC3NU.gifv

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Oct 15, 2015

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The new custom cannon system is live on stable, I believe, or will be later today if it isn't already. They're very complicated but look awesome and offer a lot of variety.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm having a bit of difficulty understanding why putting two loaders on the cannon makes it fire two shots at once instead of twice as fast.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I get that there's a bunch of limitations but the shotgun bug has been in since the early builds, would have hoped it'd be fixed.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I seem to be having some luck with 40mm autocannons, I refit one of my outposts to replace the scanner with a shilka turret. It'll probably wreck house with anything light, but the belt fed reload delay will be killer if it doesn't wipe out the enemy in the first salvo.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I can and usually do for purpose built ones but the outposts weren't designed to be armed so I'm having fun trying to make a very small but effective turret.

So far I've got an 16mm gun with conventional loaders which just plinks away at stuff while the 50mm gun can fire 30 rounds every minute or so.

Works pretty well, took out a nessie and some of those little airships with just the 18mm gun, the new cannons are very nice in that you can make very accurate weapons which don't suffer range and effectiveness dropoffs against armored targets by sacrificing a little of their sheer power against unarmored targets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You should definitely get this game.

• Locked thread