Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Ah yes I wanted to make a megathread about this as well.

I will post my submarines a bit later and explain how you can make them. They are quite fun and good if used right.

As a general tip for missiles:
They can be really good. Just don't strap explosives to them. A few frag warheads with a spread of 6 degree are probably the best armor piercing weapon short of lasers.

For mines and depth charges, explosives are okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

The recessed turret is actually very possible, its just that if the enemy breaks through the armour on one side the gun entirely breaks. It would be better to be able to designate at least a 3x3 base to the turret.

Also, kamikaze planes outfitted with rams and explosives that are fired from a sky-carrier are actually highly cost-effective. I'm trying to test mini-subs in order to see if they're effective at all against any targets. Missile subs are very potent though, as are standard torpedo subs.

Mini subs are viable, but you need to armor and shield them up quite heavily. They rely on a massive distance to the enemy to get to a certain depths while obliterating them with long range torpedos.

Frag rounds with a cone of 6 and a elevation of around 30 make it so the hail if shrapnels actually penetrate through the ship and wreck it's insides effectively.

e: Okay, submarines.
There are two ways you can make a submarine work. The first is using automated control blocks, the second is an advanced controller. Make sure your submarine has no holes and is heavy enough to sink. Place a few air pumps to make sure it can be filled with air and stay afloat.

The first method is to place two control blocks: the first enables on all pumps if you are deeper than a certain depth, the other deactivates them if you get higher than you want. Around -100 is a decent depth for a sub.

The second is the advanced controller. You can bind airpumps to keys - T and G for example - and control how quickly you sink or raise.

You need a lot of jet stabilisers, they will keep your sub nice and straight. Hydrofoil are neat as well, but you can do without them. Here are mine!

My starter one, and a rather anemic one at that. It's cheap, only has two forward torpedos, 2 anti air missiles on the top. It can take care of the first few starter ships but other than that...eh. It also doesn't like to get hit at all.

Ah, now we are talking. All metal, all beast. With 4 frontal torpedo launchers, 8 anti air missiles, 8 mine launchers and two after torpedos it offers a rather brutal array of weapons. It's not too fast, but can take a punch. The shields help a lot, but if a HE shells comes through, the armor can take over.
And now~

500k metal. 3 layers of it on every side. Rotating shiels around the entire ship.

8 frontal torpedo tubes, each of which has the power to punch through any armor it encounters.

12 anti air missiles which are actuall quite nimble for their size. With 4 ejector add ons and ballast tanks they can be fired from about 120 metres.

And last but not least, two massive sideway torpedos that...are a bit overkill.

Michaellaneous fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Aug 20, 2015

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Hihohe posted:

Yeah missiles seem the most powerful to me. I think it would be cool if there missile flare or something like that to protect against them.

There are IR flares you can put on missiles that work as attractor if you hit a ship and as normal flare as well. You can put a bunch of 1 size rockets on a small 360 turret, put IR flares on it, a few ejector add ons and make your own counter measure launcher.

Only works against IR seeker heads that do not use IR camera that target other things than heat sources.

Infinite Monkeys posted:

I tried making a giant laser once, it was absolutely enormous but when I used it against a Marauder (my standard testing target) all it did was snipe off individual blocks from the Marauder's hull every time it fired - it was far less effective than a similarly sized missile battery or cannon would be. Is there some trick to building lasers that I'm missing?

Make sure to make your lasers are really strong, and then add one or two Q switches to pulse them. Don't forget frequency doubler and - most importantly - don't add too many focus optics. Try around a bit until you get a laser that can hit a target, but still wriggles around with every pulse.

If you do everything right, lasers will outdamage anything else you can offer.

Michaellaneous fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Aug 20, 2015

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Turret rings work in the game I think, you can put blocks directly against each other and it won't cause any problems.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

The issues with turrets is, well...having them armored and effective takes so much space. Shields are rather effective, and getting powerfull engines isn't too hard. Use more shields, use IR flare launchers and smoke deployers. Don't rely on your metal alone.

Also, angle your armor whereever possible.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Yes, sloped armor does help a lot against any kind of kinetic weapon. AP has a higher chance of penetrating, anything HE will still blow up.

But against frag missiles, shells and kinetic missiles it does a lot of wonders. Flat surfaces are a huge liablility in any case and also look stupid.

e: A mix of sloped armor and a sloped shield will drastrically reduce the amount of damage you take because the only thing that can cause serious issues are HE shells that manage to penetrate the shield.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

texasmed posted:

Today I learned that you need multiple air-tight compartments on your boat so when water gets in it won't sink.

Yeah yall are designing super-ships and I'm over here trying to make something float :shrug:

The only problem I see with boats this small are getting a gun on it with any appreciable amount of firepower. It seems like you always need a barrel 15 squares long to ensure good accuracy, and then you need 6 auto loaders to feed it.

edit: I have to use minimum graphics because once you load more than 10 million RP worth of crap, the game really chugs.

2: A nice trick with cannons that I learned is to mount the firing piece inverted, allowing you to make for a much lower-profile turret. I kind of wish they would just put a connector on the bottom of the firing piece to prevent me having to do that, though.

That is an all metal boat with....not a lot of space below. Try to make your boats a bit larger and lower, so there is enough room for air. A mix of metal and wood is okay for a starter ship, so don't worry.
And yes, it's generally good to seperate your ship into multiple segmets...like real ships. We did not build them like that for no reason.

e: Different barrels affect accuracy. The best is the normal barrel with no movement. You don't need motorized barrles if you have a turret, just one or two elevation one. Also one or two gauges do wonders.

Michaellaneous fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Aug 21, 2015

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Bondematt posted:

Engines in this game are weird. The only efficient small engine is a large lump of parts.

Also my ship is so light that I can't keep my prop under the waterline.

Most ships benifit greatly from a keel. It's best if you use lead blocks for it. If it is a really small ship, just start adding a block in the front and the back. Keep going until you have reached a good floating depth.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

Bit of a bump but thought some of you might be interested in the new cannon overhaul.

Yesss.
Yesssss.
This looks amazing.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

The new custom cannon system is live on stable, I believe, or will be later today if it isn't already. They're very complicated but look awesome and offer a lot of variety.

It's pretty simple. I'll write up a full guide on it a bit later.

e: Actually there are plenty tuts online. Use that.

Michaellaneous fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Oct 27, 2015

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

I'm having a bit of difficulty understanding why putting two loaders on the cannon makes it fire two shots at once instead of twice as fast.

That's a bug.

e: Also, it will only make the cannon *load* twice as fast. It still has to wait for the cooldown.

So if you have a cooldown of 20 seconds, and a loading time of 10 seconds from autoloader to cannon, you can fire every 10 seconds. Adding a third autoloader would do nothing.

So always check the numbers on the ammo screen. No need to build huge assemblies for reasonable cannons.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

A few things about the new cannons:

.5 gauges sound like fun, but you will reach insane amounts of cooldown. 100 seconds and upwards. It's just not viable.

As a rule of thumb, this system seems to be pretty close to reality. 0.1 gauges are fast firing guns, .15 can already hit pretty hard, and anything from .2 to .35 are just extremely powerful.

The more gunpowder a shell has, the longer the cooldown is. A good value for reload vs. speed is 300m/s. That makes the shell fly really far but you can have a good refire rate as well.

AP Capped with some HE is perfectly fine as normal shell. Maybe a depth fuze if you want to get fancy. Especially for smaller calibres its pretty good.

Shell length is a bit tricky. For smaller gauges you can make much more complex shells and still have 1 or 2m long shells. It's a bit of a throwup of what you actually want. But as a rule of thumb anything below .1 gets good results with 1m, .1 to .2 with 2 and anything above is okay with 4m long shells.

Keep in mind this is based on loving around in the vehicle editor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

I seem to be having some luck with 40mm autocannons, I refit one of my outposts to replace the scanner with a shilka turret. It'll probably wreck house with anything light, but the belt fed reload delay will be killer if it doesn't wipe out the enemy in the first salvo.

Remember that you can build turrets that have a base below deck. Feel free to use multiple bells to maximise your destruction power.

• Locked thread