Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
texasmed
May 27, 2004
I felt like I had to pick up this game on sale, since I was already looking forward to it. Hopefully I can recreate some US military designs and see how they work. I've already looked at a lot of the premade ships and some of them are insanely detailed. The Andromeda is a crazy tough gunship that shreds mostly anything I've seen. I watched it get shot through completely twice, crash land and repair, then cut the jet engines back on to take off again. :stare: I think this is thanks to clever placement of the AI mainframe separate from the ammo and fuel storage areas, and plenty of repair bots scattered across the ship.

I'm gonna dive into the campaign now, even though so far I can't build anything better than an automated raft gunboat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

texasmed
May 27, 2004
Today I learned that you need multiple air-tight compartments on your boat so when water gets in it won't sink.

Yeah yall are designing super-ships and I'm over here trying to make something float :shrug:

The only problem I see with boats this small are getting a gun on it with any appreciable amount of firepower. It seems like you always need a barrel 15 squares long to ensure good accuracy, and then you need 6 auto loaders to feed it.

edit: I have to use minimum graphics because once you load more than 10 million RP worth of crap, the game really chugs.

2: A nice trick with cannons that I learned is to mount the firing piece inverted, allowing you to make for a much lower-profile turret. I kind of wish they would just put a connector on the bottom of the firing piece to prevent me having to do that, though.

texasmed fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Aug 21, 2015

• Locked thread