Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
When Fiasco is described as letting you play out a Cohen Brothers movie, what does that phrase/statement actually mean?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
It generally means that the players will represent some selection of individuals who are often but not always small-time crooks of some variety, and who will have some selection of desperate motives for important things scattered amongst themselves. The game involves the steady unraveling of the characters' lives by events precipitated by these desperate motives, with usually most of the group exiting the scenario with less (possibly a lot less) than they started, and maybe one actual happyish ending.

It's loads of fun, seriously.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Also, weirdly, at least one member of your group will be John Goodman. He just shows up, no one knows how.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

When Fiasco is described as letting you play out a Cohen Brothers movie, what does that phrase/statement actually mean?
It means everyone is playing a desperate person with poor impulse control making very bad life choices and trying to be the one person who gets what they want by screwing over everyone else.

It is, indeed, loads of fun. I've played it a bunch of times and it's always a blast.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I run a dece amount of AW here and if you app a character that has more than two short paragraphs of background you're almost definitely not getting in

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
I watched Pain and Gain this weekend and it really made me think of Fiasco. Start out with a simple plan of fraud and wind up trying to grill the fingerprints off some severed hands.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

PublicOpinion posted:

I watched Pain and Gain this weekend and it really made me think of Fiasco. Start out with a simple plan of fraud and wind up trying to grill the fingerprints off some severed hands.

Yes!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

PublicOpinion posted:

That was a far better movie than it had any right to be

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

I'LL GET YOU THIS YEAR! EVEN IF I SAID THIS LAST YEAR TOOOOOO
God I love the smell of salty succubi in the morning

PublicOpinion posted:

Sounds about right - the last Fiasco game I organized ended with a naked 60-year old spy carrying a ton of katanas running from a nerd who didn't know how to use a Katana into the middle of a n unrelated bank robbery while the game store burned.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Trollhawke posted:

Sounds about right - the last Fiasco game I organized ended with a naked 60-year old spy carrying a ton of katanas running from a nerd who didn't know how to use a Katana into the middle of a n unrelated bank robbery while the game store burned.

Last one I played in ended when one of the PCs, who'd been shot in the stomach, crashed a burning delivery van full of religious pamphlets into the back of a car which had another PC tied up in the trunk. Then the cops showed up and everyone who wasn't dead ended up in prison. I'd tell you what happened to the money, but everyone double-crossed everyone else to the point where there actually never was any money, just various dummy cash-bags.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I always like to say that if you're not playing Fiasco with the express goal of dying in a hail of gunfire, you're playing it wrong.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Evil Mastermind posted:

I always like to say that if you're not playing Fiasco with the express goal of dying in a hail of gunfire, you're playing it wrong.

Somehow the game of Fiasco I played that was a bunch of people in a local news station ended like this anyway.

It's a good game.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

AlphaDog posted:

Last one I played in ended when one of the PCs, who'd been shot in the stomach, crashed a burning delivery van full of religious pamphlets into the back of a car which had another PC tied up in the trunk. Then the cops showed up and everyone who wasn't dead ended up in prison. I'd tell you what happened to the money, but everyone double-crossed everyone else to the point where there actually never was any money, just various dummy cash-bags.

This is so very Fiasco it's great.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Potsticker posted:

This is so very Fiasco it's great.

I've never played Fiasco and not had it be "very Fiasco", meaning that it always ends up in a clusterfuck of poor planning, inevitable betrayal, gratuitious violence, hilarious incompetence, and plain bad luck.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Sep 1, 2015

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
I just typed up a post asking about an issue at set-up in my last game of fiasco, but looking at the rules, it turns out we just played it slightly wrong. :v:

Also Pain and Gain is a good movie because Michael Bay is a good director.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013

Jimbozig posted:

I just typed up a post asking about an issue at set-up in my last game of fiasco, but looking at the rules, it turns out we just played it slightly wrong. :v:

Also Pain and Gain is a good movie because Michael Bay is a good director.

Hell yeah, dude. I was gonna say it, but Micheal Bay is one of the most interesting directors of our time.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Captain Foo posted:

I run a dece amount of AW here and if you app a character that has more than two short paragraphs of background you're almost definitely not getting in

I think the true spirit of AW could very well be to ban background writing at all. Just have players do a one-line high concept and a playbook, maybe an art piece, and gently caress all else, answer any backstory as you play and call it a day.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

AlphaDog posted:

I've never played Fiasco and not had it be "very Fiasco", meaning that it always ends up in a clusterfuck of poor planning, inevitable betrayal, gratuitious violence, hilarious incompetence, and plain bad luck.

The same for me, but I've read some play reports where it didn't sound like the players got the idea at all.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Potsticker posted:

The same for me, but I've read some play reports where it didn't sound like the players got the idea at all.

I guess it would be possible not to get it, but when I read about it happening it always sounds like people are trying to miss the point.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I think the true spirit of AW could very well be to ban background writing at all. Just have players do a one-line high concept and a playbook, maybe an art piece, and gently caress all else, answer any backstory as you play and call it a day.

This. You're doing a disservice to yourself if you have much more than a paragraph of concept to start with, and probably a short paragraph at that. Leaving your character room to be tied intimately into the setting and the lives of the other PCs leads to much more interesting - and playable - results than fixing their place in the world in advance.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Loki_XLII posted:

Hell yeah, dude. I was gonna say it, but Micheal Bay is one of the most interesting directors of our time.

The new Benghazi movie makes me wince, but The Rock is the greatest movie ever made.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Scott Adsit confirmed to tattoo giant blue Dragon tattoo for his role on the BenghaI movie

Plutonis fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Sep 1, 2015

Garl_Grimm
Apr 13, 2005

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Scott Adsit confirmed to tattoo giant blue Dragon tattoo for his role on the BenghaI movie

What?

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
Honestly if you have any more than a paragraph of backstory in any game it seriously kills my desire to play with you or run a game for you.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Whichever your preference is, you should make it clear in your OP so people can tailor their characters to the needs of the game if they want to participate. I would feel pretty bummed out If I wrote a full page of background dripping with story hooks only to have it rejected because it's too long.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Vilerat had a blue dragon tattoo. A Viletat.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost
Cat thread is almost finished, but needs more cats:

Also

Elfgames posted:

Honestly if you have any more than a paragraph of backstory in any game it seriously kills my desire to play with you or run a game for you.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Backstory length was never an issue for me, but here's what I looked for:

- With your backstory, does it make sense for your character to be in the plot? If you're hunting the man who killed your family, you might have more pressing business than the plot.

- Are there interesting hooks? Can I do something with your backstory that will be fun for the other players?

- Does your character have anything in their backstory that will make it impossible to cooperate with the party? If you're an escaped Nazi war criminal it's probably not going to work.

- Will it give you an undue amount of the spotlight? The flip side of the interesting hook question, does your backstory make you more important than other characters?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Kestral posted:

This. You're doing a disservice to yourself if you have much more than a paragraph of concept to start with, and probably a short paragraph at that. Leaving your character room to be tied intimately into the setting and the lives of the other PCs leads to much more interesting - and playable - results than fixing their place in the world in advance.

yes

paradoxGentleman posted:

Whichever your preference is, you should make it clear in your OP so people can tailor their characters to the needs of the game if they want to participate. I would feel pretty bummed out If I wrote a full page of background dripping with story hooks only to have it rejected because it's too long.

if you write a giant page of background for AW you don't get in because you don't get how the game is supposed to work
That being said, I usually offer a question or two for your app to answer, and then another question or two as recruitment rolls on

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Elfgames posted:

I'm not going to say that writing a pile of backstory is always a bad thing, but I have never played with someone who both wrote >2 paragraphs and was enjoyable to play with. And I've just flat-out never played with a GM who wanted >1 paragraph of backstory because hahahaha gently caress you I wanna play my character not write about him.

I had an ST for a nWoD Changeling game who wanted a paragraph for each dot on the character sheet. You want Athletics 3? Better write 3 paragraphs about how your character jogs every morning! I did not stick around after that demand and neither did anyone else.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
I'll write a bit because I enjoy it, but I also try and err on the side of brevity.

And I think I'm not a chore to play with, or at least I think someone in the half dozen-ish games I'm in would tell me if I was. :shobon:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

- Does your character have anything in their backstory that will make it impossible to cooperate with the party? If you're an escaped Nazi war criminal it's probably not going to work.

What category of war crimes are we talking about?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

What category of war crimes are we talking about?
Ones incompatible with the other characters' war crimes.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

Ones incompatible with the other characters' war crimes.

Don't you know old chap I was head of Gestapo for ten years. Five years! No, no, nein, I was not head of Gestapo at all...I make joke.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
Look okay I just can't work with this German guy. I've got my own thing going with white phosphorus and this whole police state thing is really bringing down the group.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'm imagining a scenario where an Ahnenerbe Obersturmbannführer, an NKVD Commissar, a Unit 731 doctor, and a Francoist worshipper of Chagnar Faugn all find themselves in the rear end-end of Greenland, forced to work together to find the Cthuloid McGuffin while knowing they need to stab everyone else in the back eventually to bring the relic back to their own respective countries.

Serf
May 5, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm imagining a scenario where an Ahnenerbe Obersturmbannführer, an NKVD Commissar, a Unit 731 doctor, and a Francoist worshipper of Chagnar Faugn all find themselves in the rear end-end of Greenland, forced to work together to find the Cthuloid McGuffin while knowing they need to stab everyone else in the back eventually to bring the relic back to their own respective countries.

And run it in Fiasco.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Sounds like a game to run in Cold City!!

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Since it's September for me, I started the September Chat Thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Serf posted:

And run it in Fiasco.

"It generally means that the players will represent some selection of individuals who are often but not always small-time crooks of some variety, and who will have some selection of desperate motives for important things scattered amongst themselves. The game involves the steady unraveling of the characters' lives by events precipitated by these desperate motives, with usually most of the group exiting the scenario with less (possibly a lot less) than they started, and maybe one actual happyish ending."

"It means everyone is playing a desperate person with poor impulse control making very bad life choices and trying to be the one person who gets what they want by screwing over everyone else."

Holy poo poo yeah that sounds about perfect for four war criminals all trying to steal a Lovecraftian artifact for themselves.

• Locked thread