Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Helical Nightmares posted:

A Red & Pleasant Land Is a quite original setting. It deserves the awards it got. :smugdog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Hearing Zak S complain about harrasment has got to be the peak of irony.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Kwyndig posted:

Adam Jury is good people from my vague recollections of the few times we hung out in the late 90's, and Posthuman Studios tries very hard to be inclusive while keeping the Zac S and Pundit types out.

Who were the original Eclipse Phase writers. Was Adam Jury one?

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

paradoxGentleman posted:

It's true. As much as I like his art and RPG's, he's still a lovely person. Sadly true of a lot of artists.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
True of a lot of people really.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I'm watching the Anime Overlord and reading its novel an I have a question: what's the best system to play as a high leveled super Lich with powerful Monster minions?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

I'm watching the Anime Overlord and reading its novel an I have a question: what's the best system to play as a high leveled super Lich with powerful Monster minions?

D&D 3.5 w/ Book of Vile Darkness

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Exalted: Abyssals?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Captain Foo posted:

That's a legitimate answer since Ainz Ooal Gown the Lich has that heart crushing spell from BoVD on his 600+ spell list.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The new season of Once Upon a Time looks baller.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Captain Foo posted:

Why would you inflict this upon anyone

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Captain Foo posted:

Leadership feat

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Yawgmoth posted:

plutonis

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

paradoxGentleman posted:

The best part is that he's petty enough to keep count of the days!

I'm ok with this.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Yawgmoth posted:

Its a legit book with fun stuff.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Iirc the mortal hunter prestige class was hilariously broken.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Hey I'm running torchbearer and looking for generic tips, is there a torchbearer thread or should I go chase up the burning wheel thread?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Helical Nightmares posted:

Iirc the mortal hunter prestige class was hilariously broken.
Most of prestige classes on BoVD are hot garbage, except for soul eater (all your natural attacks do a negative level on hit, and you get a ton of 24 hour boosts after causing a negative level) and disciple of dispater (triples your crit threat range and expressly stacks with the imp crit feat). Ever wanted to crit on a 9? DoD is for you!

eta: BoVD is one of the few D&D books where I actually like the fluff writing better than the mechanics. There's a lot of cool ideas in there, but the mechanics are more often than not just really bad.

Yawgmoth fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Aug 5, 2015

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Yawgmoth posted:

Most of prestige classes on BoVD are hot garbage, except for soul eater (all your natural attacks do a negative level on hit, and you get a ton of 24 hour boosts after causing a negative level) and disciple of dispater (triples your crit threat range and expressly stacks with the imp crit feat). Ever wanted to crit on a 9? DoD is for you!
I recall that, with some work, you could use Disciple of Dispater as part of an attack sequence that would be unbounded with probability greater than 90%.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

NGDBSS posted:

I recall that, with some work, you could use Disciple of Dispater as part of an attack sequence that would be unbounded with probability greater than 90%.
Yeah, I remember something along that line. A 20 level build that always crit if it hit and had a x7 multiplier.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

You may be thinking of something slightly different? :confused: The setup here was to get an unbounded number of attatcks rather than to pull off reliable spike damage with huge multipliers. (Though both are basically break-the-game comedy.) After some diving around I found the original thread and the eventual solution.

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.
You're probably thinking of the Lightning Mace build.

...it's a little depressing how much D&D trivia I have memorized when it's been four+ years since I've done more than glance at a book.

Yawgmoth posted:

eta: BoVD is one of the few D&D books where I actually like the fluff writing better than the mechanics. There's a lot of cool ideas in there, but the mechanics are more often than not just really bad.

Don't forget the Cancer Mage, which A) is a rogue PrC with no spellcasting and B) can quite easily give you arbitrarily high Strength and AC (stacking +x per day to both).

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

Splicer posted:

Hey I'm running torchbearer and looking for generic tips, is there a torchbearer thread or should I go chase up the burning wheel thread?

I'm pretty sure the Burning Wheel thread is buried in the archives by now. I think someone (not me, I'm lazy) should make a Burning Wheel/Mouse Guard/Torchbearer thread, because I've been on a huge Burning Wheel kick recently. The system still hasn't quite clicked for me, but I still want to give it a shot at some point.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Yawgmoth posted:

Hahaha. I never did the breakdown for how broken the classes were. So good :allears:

Yeah the writing for BoVD had some gems and it feels like it was just reaching for being a fantastic supplement, but it was bogged down with weird unneccesary poo poo like...really long torture rules, the dullest rational for evil halflings I've seen in a while, and D&D standard half assed essays on how to run an (evil) campaign.

But it did have the best PC trap. Some absurdly powerful evil mage with four children chained to his life sucking armor.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
But like most things it wasn't really that much of a problem to someone who could cast spells. It only split damage, not save-or-lose control effects like paralysis or unconsciousness, which would allow you to unchain things and then kill him. Or cast knock on the general area and uncuff everyone, then kill him. Or target his gear and break the chains. Or cast antimagic field and laugh because he chained himself to four targets he can't get more than 5 feet away from, limiting his ability to flee in a round. Or just yell "the ends justify the means" and sword him to death while not giving a gently caress because he's using children as ablative armor and there's maybe 10 HP worth of damage absorption between the four of them. He's level 20, so any level-appropriate foe who attacked him once without knowing what was going on would blow through his meat shields and thus render it kind of a moot point.

Like many things in the BoVD, it's a lot more flash than substance.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

It was badass that human is a fundamental evil race made by a fundamentally evil god because if anything it's close to home.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Tulul posted:

Don't forget the Cancer Mage, which A) is a rogue PrC with no spellcasting and B) can quite easily give you arbitrarily high Strength and AC (stacking +x per day to both).
Oh yes! Although that was a pretty simple "no that's stupid I won't allow it" from most DMs. Sadly those are it for the power; after those three, you plummet to a bunch of 1/2 or 1/3 (wtf) CL PrCs, or sad martial PrCs with 3/4 BAB and one good save. I especially like Lifedrinker, a vampire PrC with no spellcasting that gives a big pile of metamagic feats. :allears:

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Surprised nobody brought up the Ur-Priest, what with 9th level spells at 14th class level, without even getting into the game-breaking builds it would enable later on.

But Monte Cook is bad at rules. He has clever ideas, but the rules are bad.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

Splicer posted:

There should be a torchbearer thread but it'll just fall into archives anyway.

The #1 piece of advice I can give you is to remember that PCs can't necessarily do things without triggering parts of the rules. It's a little like PbtA in that regard; for example, the PCs cannot arbitrarily return to town without doing a journey (which may expend turns) and following the Entering Town rules.

Also, find or make an outline about which parts of the rules feed into which other parts. The mechanics don't hold up very well if you forget to have your players mark checks after making tests, for instance.

Tulpa
Aug 8, 2014
Other Torchbearer advice:

It's a genuinely ruthless game and if you call for a test whenever there's an opportunity for one, the Grind will destroy characters before they've even had time to earn any checks, so you should only call for a Test when it matters.

To quote the book:

quote:

“We’ll sneak through the forest along the lake and
ascend the cliff along that low western face.”

If there are no patrols in the forest, don’t make them
test Scout to get through the forest. If the cliff is an
easy ascent, don’t make them test to climb. If there’s
a mysterious sentinel concealed in the juniper bushes
atop the cliff, then they have to test.

Earning and spending checks is the 'engine' of the game. It's the only means players have to recover during camp phase. Players should know this and know how they can earn checks.

Usual Burning Wheel advice applies. Bring in the more complex systems like the full Conflict rules after you're comfortable with the basics.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

inklesspen posted:

There should be a torchbearer thread but it'll just fall into archives anyway.

The #1 piece of advice I can give you is to remember that PCs can't necessarily do things without triggering parts of the rules. It's a little like PbtA in that regard; for example, the PCs cannot arbitrarily return to town without doing a journey (which may expend turns) and following the Entering Town rules.

Also, find or make an outline about which parts of the rules feed into which other parts. The mechanics don't hold up very well if you forget to have your players mark checks after making tests, for instance.
If someone who knows enough to make a thread makes a thread I will keep it alive with noob questions and dumb stories for a few months anyway.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I have played one game of torchbearer (online) and I really enjoyed it. I'm not sure I 100% understood how exactly it's supposed to work and I'd love to read more about the game from someone who knows it well.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Anyone know of an electronic card/hand tracking utility for online board games?

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I love the poo poo out of Torchbearer and would post post post.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
:justpost:

Actually I will make a thread if people promise to give me links to useful/cool stuff to put in it.

Edit: I took my own advice

inklesspen fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Aug 6, 2015

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I had this conversation with some friends on irc the other day

Friend 1: "You know what's a cool thing? On the way back from shopping earlier, i saw 3 badgers and a fox

that is cool imo"

Friend 2: "they were forming a party"

Me: "They're totally powergamers. Badgers are so OP that with a fox to disarm traps, you can make it through most farms and get a ton of food. Farmcats are a non-issue, and even a dog isn't that big of a deal."

And since then I've been wondering how a game based on everyone being a different wild animal joining forces to steal food from Farmer Brown like adventurers raiding the Tomb of Horrors would work.

Also here is a solid contribution to the thread.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I've heard of peach fuzz but that's ridiculous.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

The Vosgian Beast posted:

And since then I've been wondering how a game based on everyone being a different wild animal joining forces to steal food from Farmer Brown like adventurers raiding the Tomb of Horrors would work.

This reminded me of Redwall, which is probably the series with the best description of foodstuff in the history of fantasy.

The closest RPG I can think of is Bunnies and Burrows, but that one is all about rabbits and I feel like your idea loses something without the various animals joining forces to get those delicious turnips.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

paradoxGentleman posted:

This reminded me of Redwall, which is probably the series with the best description of foodstuff in the history of fantasy.

The closest RPG I can think of is Bunnies and Burrows, but that one is all about rabbits and I feel like your idea loses something without the various animals joining forces to get those delicious turnips.

There's also The Warren, which is also about rabbits and isn't out yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

paradoxGentleman posted:

Someone dig up the front page article about the author of Redwall being a food-obsessed fascist.

And that game idea strikes me as being very Fantastic Mr Fox.

• Locked thread