Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Evil Mastermind posted:

Gamma World 4e.

Yes! I just ran Gamma World 4e with this map a few months ago.

Walked in with just that map printed across 4 sheets of paper and a handle of cheap whiskey.

Players decided they were a rock band playing a show in the Strange Fire Area and, when their pyrotechnics (literally) set off the crowd, the session was a road warrior chase across the continent to reach the radiation barrier.

Fantastic time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

paradoxGentleman posted:

What exactly do you mean by "bad"? Because I think the way GRRM portrays different characters with different, conflicting viewpoints is incredible and I will never not love Asimov's Three Laws of Robotics pose some wonderful questions to the nature of artificial intelligence, all wrapped up in the shiny package of robot stories . If that makes me the scum of the literary world I can probably live with that.

Genre fiction is easy to emulate because games use mechanical rules to define play, and genre fiction and its authors rest on similar rules. When those rules are codified in game it becomes really easy to roleplay just like your favorite Star Trek novel. Yeah, that's a really low bar, but not everyone at the table is going to be an accomplished writer or comedian or actor. And that's okay because genre fiction is dumb enough that any old group of friends in a basement can emulate it actually pretty well with only a set of rules and some dice.

And seriously, GRRM? I stopped reading at the child rape, so what was that, like the first 10 pages?

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

paradoxGentleman posted:

My point isn't that genre fiction is hard to emulate via tabletop (seeing as it has been done to death, it would have been a pretty stupid point); my point is that genre fiction isn't as bad as people say it is.

And my point is that you can tell genre fiction is bad because it is easy to emulate via tabletop.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
Look okay I just can't work with this German guy. I've got my own thing going with white phosphorus and this whole police state thing is really bringing down the group.

• Locked thread