Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Serf posted:

Now that I think about it, I wish more games had an MP model where you spent points from a pool to cast your spells. I've always liked that more than Vancian casting.
MP based systems are actually kind of a tough design problem. The most likely scenario is that you end up with a "4e psionics" problem, where people choose a widely applicable spell and spam it all the time, leading to stagnant gameplay.

At least in an old school Vancian system, your wizard probably chose a broad range of spells to cover a lot of situations. Or even if they decide to play a pure fire mage, the system still forces them to mix it up between fireballs in level 3 slots and burning hands in level 1. So from a game design perspective, Vancian casting is actually a pretty brilliant way to inject meaningful choice into the game for those that like that kind of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

gradenko_2000 posted:

CRPGs have tackled that nova problem by hiding the most powerful hits behind combos, cycles and rotations. Frost Bolts until the target is Frozen, then Ice Lance until the freeze runs out. Frostfire Bolt when you get a trigger that makes its casting time reasonable and buffs its damage. And so on and so forth.
CRPGs also tend to have way more "rounds" than TTRPGs, so they have a little more room to play with this kind of design space. Most TTRPG fights are designed to be over in 3-6 rounds. Compared to, for instance, even most trash pulls in most MMOs Will take upwards of 10+ GCDs.

About the only TT thing I've seen that models this similarly is aspect placement in Fate.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

Ryoshi posted:

Hey guys - I'm moving to Minnesota soon and am wondering what the tabletop scene is there. I'm used to the Chicago suburbs where it seems like there's a local (ish) meta for just about everything. Is there a cool store around the twin cities area? I know of Games by James but that seems to be only board games with no playing space at either location.
Like others have said, the FFG game center is great, even if you don't like FFG games. They've got what must have been part of a warehouse converted to just about the biggest and cleanest game store I've ever seen. The only thing is that it's a bit loud there when it gets busy because it's so open and the acoustics are awful. That's on the NE side.

Otherwise, there's Tower Games in south Minneapolis and Village Games in the NW burbs. I haven't played at either in a few years, but they were pretty solid back then.

What are you looking to play?

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost
Cat thread is almost finished, but needs more cats:

Also

Elfgames posted:

Honestly if you have any more than a paragraph of backstory in any game it seriously kills my desire to play with you or run a game for you.

• Locked thread