Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

Why is this dog jumping out of a perfectly good helicopter?

drrockso20 posted:

so to give us an actual TG topic to discuss(as much as I'm loving the pet chat), here's a question, what are some original RPG settings you've seen on other sites that you'd want to run and/or play a game in?

I once saw a "Amber RPG in Spirit of the Century" setting that was really cool.

Nine Princes in Pulp posted:

This is an Amber with ray guns, planes that flap their own wings, clockwork-driven trump machines, a steam-driven monstrosity called Morgenstern, and growing fleets of zeppelins with Unicorn and Silver Rose emblems on the side.

Five Blades of Bahamut is a 4e setting with airships and Indian mythology in, and I think that's pretty cool.

Airships posted:

At the heart of each airship is a piece of a fallen star, which gives it the power of flight. The wind is channelled through a series of pipes to the fragment (the “core”) which produces tones and songs which remind it of the sky it once called home. Longing for home, it rises and sings in return.

Once awakened thus, a fallen star piece cannot ever rest again, and airships are incapable of dropping below 50 feet height, unless the core is breached – the star piece bursts forth, a bright light shooting to the sky… while the airship comes crashing to the ground. Never a good thing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
The 13th Age Icons are well known mega-NPCs, though, whereas the average resident of Sharn (who certainly knows who the rulers of the major kingdoms are) probably has no idea who the Lord of Blades is.

I definitely like the idea of using the Dragonmarked Houses for Icons.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord

Serf posted:

Something I've always wanted to try is sorta a blend of the two. A world guide written by a character or institution within the world. A CIA World Factbook that is written by a sort of unreliable narrator. You could go full Marco Polo with it and have it be written by a traveler who exaggerates and makes up larger than life tales and doesn't always get things right. Or you could have a scholarly writer who is piecing all this together from stories and field reports and often gets things wrong, preserving the mystery of the world.

Just don't go all Erin Tarn with it.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord

Splicer posted:

Hey I'm running torchbearer and looking for generic tips, is there a torchbearer thread or should I go chase up the burning wheel thread?

There should be a torchbearer thread but it'll just fall into archives anyway.

The #1 piece of advice I can give you is to remember that PCs can't necessarily do things without triggering parts of the rules. It's a little like PbtA in that regard; for example, the PCs cannot arbitrarily return to town without doing a journey (which may expend turns) and following the Entering Town rules.

Also, find or make an outline about which parts of the rules feed into which other parts. The mechanics don't hold up very well if you forget to have your players mark checks after making tests, for instance.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
:justpost:

Actually I will make a thread if people promise to give me links to useful/cool stuff to put in it.

Edit: I took my own advice

inklesspen fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Aug 6, 2015

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord

fool_of_sound posted:

Anyone know any systems with a strong investigative system?

As Swagger Dagger said, Gumshoe. There is even a thread for it.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord

Astus posted:

The example I gave earlier of "Fighter kneecaps an assassin, GM does not have the assassin flip out" isn't a thing you need to ask your GM permission for. The fiction says the assassin isn't capable of flipping out, so the assassin does not flip out. The fiction is actually more important than any mechanics in the game, and you can tell just how much the designers stress this by reading the GM section and making a note of how many times they use the word "fiction". Or just by actually reading the GM section, since they aren't exactly subtle about this.

Yes, but this requires improv effort on the part of the GM during the session, and this is unfair to ask of a GM because

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord

Splicer posted:

Actually I'm a crazy person who thought I saw this on drivethrurpg, it's on a completely different site. http://www.memento-mori.com/rpg/torchbearer-sagas-wanderers-outcasts-exiles

It's on DTRPG too. (And it looks like there's a very real chance I've accidentally bought it twice, once in each place.)

As far as moths' comment goes, the 6+ levels are still in playtest form at the official site.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
The entry-level PWYW tier; that's the only one with books by John Rogers.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
We have a system recommendation thread, but for fantasy murderhoboing I would recommend looking at Torchbearer or 13th Age, both of which are sort of cousins to D&D.

Comedy option: Sine Nomine's Exemplars & Eidolons

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord

NachtSieger posted:

So my friend published an RPG on DriveThru and I was wondering what the stance was on advertising.

Well, the forum as a whole will happily sell you a banner ad slot. If you meant just talking it up, that's fine too. Just be sure to disclose that you're here to tell us about your friend's game, as opposed to this completely new game which you happened across by accident on the internet.

Also you'll want to make sure the things you say about it are true and well-supported. For example, if you were to mention that the RPG has an innovative approach to character creation, it would be a good idea to explain what those innovations are (and make sure they haven't been done by 50 other games already).

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord

Potsticker posted:

Riven was made by Canadians, right?

Aside from "perfectly generic human" being the only role being played in Riven, the company is based in Spokane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord

Gravy Train Robber posted:

Thank you for reminding me that exists. Is there an F&F of it?

yes

• Locked thread