Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I have no real cattes. :( I have virtual ones, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Yawgmoth posted:

How do you have an HPL list and not include eldritch?

Or "indescribable" or "non-euclidean".

e: huh, "non-euclidean" was only used twice?

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Aug 10, 2015

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Maybe "Moment of True Clarity" would work? Or "Piercing the Veil"?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

What expansion? What happened?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Oh, I didn't realize that's what he was referring to. My bad.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The 2014 Indie RPG Awards nominees have been announced. It's a pretty eclectic mix, but there's some cool stuff in there.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Error 404 posted:

Happy Sammyversary!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Slimnoid posted:

Pretty much, yeah. I can't play Planescape: Torment due to how bad everything in that game runs, from the controls to the interface to the combat mechanics.

GOG games generally come preconfigured and tweaked for modern machines.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

gnome7 posted:

It helps, but it can't fix everything. 90s PC games are just awash with really bad UI and control schemes. Not to mention how common sudden spikes in difficulty are for no reason and loads of "gotcha!" game design decisions.

Oh, I know; I probably should have bolded the part I was responding to.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Andrast posted:

Why are you arguing about a thing that's just personal preference?

Welcome to the internetlife, enjoy your stay.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

It's also the fact that, in a lot of games now, you have an Ability Score that gives you an Ability Modifier, but then you never use the original Score anywhere. But you still have the 3-18 stats because D&D, that's why.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Yeah. I mean, it'd make sense in games like GURPS where it's "roll under stat" but I have no idea why games like 13th Age use 3-18 other than to give that D&D feels.
Sadly, there's a lot of people out there who won't give a new game a shot unless it has the D&D feels. I've seen people ask stuff like "how do I make <game> more like D&D?" and part of me dies.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Yeah, it was Monte's "reimagining" of the WoD, which basically meant that he was taking the main five supernatural types and changed them all around so they had nothing to do with the oWoD. I remember it being something like "a big supernatural rifts open up in the middle of <major city>, dark spirits leak out and possess people, and the possessed people are the vampires/werewolves/mages/wraiths/changelings."

Oh, and it tried to work Mage's freeform magic system into d20.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Gravy Train Robber posted:

It was an earlier time. A darker time.

The time of d20.

For all the jokes about 4E being a video game I remember right when 3E came out they released a goddamn Diablo 2 conversion guide so you could play Diablo 2 in D&D

I love the look on the barbarian's face. Like he's so sick of waiting for the sorceress to finish up whatever the hell she's doing back there.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Even nowadays, "convert the tone and fluff, not the mechanics" is still an uncommon idea.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Splicer posted:

Think EM meant you should use ttrpg mechanics that fit the tone even if they radically deviate from the ones in the game, as opposed to the usual methods of trying to lightly paper the setting over whatever system you have the licence for or trying to slavishly port the existing mechanics into an unsuitable medium.
Basically, yeah. If you're making an RPG based on a video game where people can fling spells all day and all night, don't use the system that has people run out of spells.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ratpick posted:

Of course the 15-minute working day isn't quite as big a problem in 4e as it was in previous editions, but I still feel the game could do well either entirely without Daily powers or with Daily powers but expressed in some other way (say, Milestone powers, usable once per Milestone). Incidentally, this is why I think Strike! is such a great game, because in addition to being a really nice and stream-lined application of 4e's design philosophy it also got rid of my biggest problem with the system.

I've always liked how 13th Age handled "daily" powers; you could only use them once per day, but after a battle you made a d20 roll and on an 16+ or something you got the power back. And you got to roll after every battle, not just the one you used the power in.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Flame112 posted:

13th Age "solved" this by just mandating that extended rests happen every 4 battles. If you sleep in an inn before 4 battles happen then you have nightmares or something and it isn't very restful. If your 4th battle happens in the middle of a dungeon then maybe you found a healing fountain or you're just digging deep into yourself and finding reserves of strength.
That's been a bit of a problem with the organized play adventures; you get a full rest after every session regardless, but there are only two fights per session.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Flame112 posted:

Are they double-strength fights or whatever?
Sometimes? They tell you how many monsters to use based on the number of PCs, and in some fights the PCs stomp things and in others they're having a real struggle. Some fights are clearly meant to be tougher, but there's nothing that says "this was built at 1.5 times budget".

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Today is Jack Kirby's birthday, so I'm required by nerd law to post the most game-able map ever written.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

Jack Kirby is the best superhero comic artist and writer of all time.
So I'm not emptyquoting, I'll just say that Kangarat Murder Society is the name of my punk all-cover band.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Yawgmoth posted:

One day I am going to run a game using this map. I don't know what it will be, but I feel like it should be RIFTS for maximum kitchen-sink-ness.

Gamma World 4e.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

And of course now I'm looking up if you can get a complete set of the GW 4e cards. Or at least the text so I can make printer-friendly versions.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

No, I mean the ones that came in the booster packs. It's surprisingly hard to find a spoiler list for them.

e: Oops, never mind; should have just scrolled down. There's a list with everything except one of the three promo cards.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Aug 28, 2015

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Yawgmoth posted:

Snowflame, the best villain.

You can't say that and not post the panels.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

When Fiasco is described as letting you play out a Cohen Brothers movie, what does that phrase/statement actually mean?
It means everyone is playing a desperate person with poor impulse control making very bad life choices and trying to be the one person who gets what they want by screwing over everyone else.

It is, indeed, loads of fun. I've played it a bunch of times and it's always a blast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I always like to say that if you're not playing Fiasco with the express goal of dying in a hail of gunfire, you're playing it wrong.

• Locked thread