Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Sixto Lezcano posted:

I'm out of town for a week or two and I visited the local game store (WAY bigger than the one in my hometown!). Two books caught my eye; Legend of the Burning Sands, and The One Ring (which comes in a snazzy box with dice n stuff). I found an abandoned F&F about the latter but it was abandoned before going into much detail. I'm probably gonna pick up one of the two because my gf has a bunch of credit at the store that we need to burn before we leave. Anyone have experience with either of them? Or know where I can read more nitty-gritty F&F style stuff about em?

Just be aware there is a revised version of The One Ring that comes as a hardcover. From what I understand it is a good improvement in rules clarity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

drrockso20 posted:

Don't we have a Dungeon World thread this discussion should be taking place in?

Yeah, I don't think I've seen a single cat this whole page.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

If I remember right, Heroquest 2 uses that as one of the Character creation options.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

The shot clock and silhouette gun fights are a lot of fun and there are a lot of things done as mini games like bar brawls and mining. It uses randomly rolled D&D stats and a kind of reversed percentile system for skills. It also has the seemingly inescapable and to my mind totally unnecessary alternate history that means the Confederacy still exists and the U.S is all broken up. The presentation is beautiful though, especially if you get a first edition hardcover.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Aug 9, 2015

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

The Western is a staple in American society, and I would say Hollywood has managed to do just fine throughout most of its history in coming up with stories and antagonists for them without the conceit of an independent South.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

They didn't all die in the war. It's not like assholes stopped being assholes or stopped taking advantage of the people they used to own. Things just got more complicated in the relationship. gently caress, ending the war gives you the KKK, and as a group of acceptable villains you can feel good about killing only the Nazis give them a run for their money.

It does pay to remember that one thing Hollywood has always been very bad about was how diverse the west actually was, what with many cowboys being of Black or Hispanic descent. One I watched a bit back on TCM that was good in that regard, as well as having a woman as its protagonist was "Thomasine & Bushrod". 70s and a bit Blaxploitation, but pretty fun.

E: There is also the Orc babies problem with plantation owners, with the KKK you generally avoid that.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Aug 9, 2015

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Quarex posted:

I will never forget my first encounter with Kenzer & Co., the year they released Aces & Eights

We saw them demonstrating the shot clock/silhouette thing in a demo, and assumed they were like a gaming accoutrement producer, and were like "omg! We will take like ten of those, these are perfect for Deadlands." Then of course we found out they were not stand-alone and you only got one of them even when you purchased the full hardback $60? edition of the Aces & Eights book and our dreams would cost hundreds of dollars. And then we read Aces & Eights and found out it was literally just "a western." And that is the astounding story of how we wanted to throw money at them and instead have never given them any.

Is Aces & Eights actually fun at all, or is it just an incomprehensibly dense minimum-frills western game?

It is pretty fun for what it is, a kind of clunky traditional style rpg with an interesting combat mechanic. How long the novelty holds though is a question I couldn't answer for you, and after that you have a pretty book and a game that tracks a ton of skills and asks you to roll all the different types of dice. If I where to run it again I would just torpedo the setting though, and that is pretty easy to do.

E: The confederacy does make fine villain's as well, and all you need to do to use them is to set your game during the Civil War. There is , I suppose a bit of a game in trying to figure out what the Confederacy would have looked like in peace time, but it's all speculation. Hell you can just set the game before the civil war and still deal with slave holders.

E2: It seems mostly designed around long term sand box play, but the best part of it, the combat system is pretty deadly, and full character creation is pretty slow.

E3: Didn't Deadlands torpedo slavery anyway, basically removing the reason for the confederacy to exist in the first place?

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Aug 9, 2015

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

You know, I guess in a situation where there are Elves, Dwarves, Dragons, and magic spells, its not too far fetched that the South would rise again.
The south and the Nazis winning seems pretty popular in alternative history fiction, but thankfully never seeped into the visual mediums.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

NutritiousSnack posted:

A lot of people want things simple as hell when doing role playing games, and Nazi's/Confederates/Soviets are the perfect strawmen for you to punch.

You know what, I am going to disagree with this only because there are far too many people in society still willing to openly sympathize with the confederates for various and sundry reasons. The KKK on the other hand wear masks for a reason, they are basically Imperial Storm-troopers made real when it comes to an acceptable target.

E: Sundry means various apparently, meaning I have never seen it used except superfluously.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Aug 10, 2015

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Other adversarial choices, the U.S Government, the posse from the town you just robbed, U.S. Marshals, The Sheriff, The Guatemalan Military, The second fastest gun in the West, the bloke who's brother you killed/got hanged, your former partner who absconded with the cash, the owner of the local saloon, The farmers who feel you did their sister/brother wrong, the preacher who's fleecing the honest folk on fake bibles, the snake oil salesman, the general who got all his men, including your brother killed, the cuss that done stole your girl, etc...

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I think his point was more that there are few or no unambiguous evil bad guys or groups, just ones that have aims that oppose yours. Complexity is your friend and the rare unambiguous evil in a western is often just a single vile human being played by Lee Van Cleef.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Aug 10, 2015

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Is there a thread for useful online rpg tools? Dice rollers, table tops, and character builders and such, I figure it might be nice to have a stickied thread full of useful stuff.

As for sailing, Fantasy Games Unlimited did an Age of sail game called Privateers and Gentlemen, don't know if its good or not though. Actually looking it up, its Ship battle system "Heart of Oak" seems well considered, and it is part of the core book.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Aug 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Savage Worlds also has Pirates of the Spanish Main, and while looking for Ship rules someone suggested hacking Rogue Trader.

• Locked thread