Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

gradenko_2000 posted:

I've been binge-listening to RPPR's Call of Cthulhu games and now I really want to look into a d100-based game, but there are so many variations of RuneQuest and I don't know jack about Glorantha. Where do I even begin?

I thought about removing the image link, but then realized that this post would not have cat in it.

Anyhows, try Delta Green! It's Cthulhu-y enough, but based in the 90s/2000s, so I think it is very easy to relate to. Plus, who doesn't love government conspiracies?

The government, most likely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

paradoxGentleman posted:

Hearing Zak S complain about harrasment has got to be the peak of irony.

The best part is that he's petty enough to keep count of the days!

I'm ok with this.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Rand Brittain posted:

As with most awards, the Ennies are taken seriously when they produce results we agree with and derided when they produce results we don't like.

(Regarded neutrally, they are still pretty bad.)

I just read them as E/Nnies in my mind, and that automatically tells me everything I need to know about them.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

I think this thread really needs to get back on track.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Cthulhu is a fail rear end Monster that got knocked out by ramming a boat on it. That poo poo wouldn't work even on the crappiest Kaiju like the giant lobster that Godzilla fought.

Cthulhu Mythos actually does have a lot of fail rear end monsters. Wilbur Whateley gets owned by a simple-rear end dog that catches him being a terrible thief, despite his supposed ability with spells and being made of otherworldly material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

bunnielab posted:

I had forgotten how polarizing D&D is. I have looked at some of the other games you guys suggested, but I don't see a lot of PBP games for them, and that will have to be how I play. I understand 4th ed is super polarizing, but honestly I cannot get past the minis/grid focus. It seems to be if I want something like that I might as well play a wargame or a skirmish mini game. Maybe I am overreacting though, which is why I am looking for a game to read. On that note:

More power to you for wanting to run 2nd edition - if you like it, you know your players like it, and you know that's the kind of game you want to run then it's the right system for you and your group. Full stop.

The only thing that confuses me are complaints about the minis/grids focus. D&D has always had that there lurking in the wings. Spell effects have a given range in feet/meters. Characters travel a certain number of feet/meters in a round. Where you are in the initiative order and where you are located is important, etc. Even a large number of 2nd edition adventures gave out a lot of maps with grids as well as precise measurements for things (which might necessitate a grid to resolve). Heck, even basic dungeon generation wants graph paper and squares for measurement. 4th edition just made it impossible to hand-wave and oddly enough, went back to the very origins of D&D (which was Chainmail and yes, a miniatures wargame) and modernized it.

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Aug 17, 2015

• Locked thread