Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Chuubo's really is the gift that keeps on giving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

IT BEGINS posted:

I'd love to see a good criticism of DW's downsides. I've read that the worst parts are the attributes and that there are some medicore playbooks, but not much otherwise. Well, aside from the usual 'quantum bears' and 'punching the floor and punching Orcus are equally easy' bullshit.

No that's basically it. It sticks a little too close to its D&D roots. The core playbooks are uninspired at best and outright boring at worst. There's a bunch of rules in the book literally nobody uses (who cares about the Steading rules? Anyone? How many people know you're supposed to get a discount on your purchases equal to your full charisma score?). It's too gritty in some places it should be loose and too mechanical in some places it should be more fictional. Another big criticism is that the basic moves are too granular and only cover one specific action in one specific moment, while in, say, Apoc World, the basic "fight them" move resolves an entire fight in one roll (this isn't one I necessarily agree with, since a D&D clone should be pretty granular with combat to be a D&D clone, but it is on the table).

As for Adam Koebel specifically, I don't know which parts of DW he and Sage worked on specifically, but they are both very old school in their tastes, and they really wanted to write a retroclone with Apocalypse World inspiration than the other way around when making DW. So knowing that, yeah. A new game by Adam isn't something I am excited for. It is definitely more of a "wait and see and hope for the best".

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Aren't storygames supposed to take off the burden of narrating from the GM lol

Yes, they are, but DW wasn't designed as a story game, it was designed to be OSR. It just happened to get very popular with the story gaming crowd.

I think my biggest dislike of DW as someone who wrote for it for over a year is how Hit Points and rolling random damage work together. Sometimes basic enemies can take ages because nobody rolls higher than a 2 on damage, even if they roll 10+ on everything else so the enemy poses no threat. And sometimes a boss monster will go down in one hit because someone rolled max damage on their first attack. It's really swingy and there's no real control there. The game isn't gritty enough for a hit point mechanic to be worthwhile, and hit points are very low in general so how good that d8 hits the table can make a huge difference on how long a fight goes on for.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Interesting. I'm thinking now of a model where if we consider a dungeon crawl as the attempted accumulation of wealth against the steady depletion of limited camping/spellcasting/health resources, then "is good at Fighting" is a resource to be spent in the same way that "has a spell slot to end a tough fight instantly" can be.

A skeleton warrior would be a drain on the party's resources similar to how an undetected and triggered arrow trap would shoot someone for 1d6 damage. You need the Fighter to kill the monster much like you need the Thief to stop the trap, but the Fighter can only "rage" or activate their "be really good at fighting" ability so many times per day, and outside of that it's a random roll where he's going to take chip damage.

After you've failed one too many detect traps, rolled mediocre on one too many "single roll combats", used up all your spellcaster's spells and your fighter's martial exploits, and run out of supplies you need to bed down for a few hours to get some partial healing and squeeze out a few more spells and exploits, you have to head for the exit (and god help you if you're so deep in that you draw multiple wandering monsters and have to do even more straight/umodified single combat rolls).

This is definitely a Good Idea worth exploring further, I think.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Evil Mastermind posted:

The 2014 Indie RPG Awards nominees have been announced. It's a pretty eclectic mix, but there's some cool stuff in there.

Oh hey, a game I wrote is on there! Nice. I'm a little surprised, Law's Out has had less than 100 sales, but thankfully "good sales" are not a requirement for a nomination.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Evil Mastermind posted:

GOG games generally come preconfigured and tweaked for modern machines.

It helps, but it can't fix everything. 90s PC games are just awash with really bad UI and control schemes. Not to mention how common sudden spikes in difficulty are for no reason and loads of "gotcha!" game design decisions.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Evil Mastermind posted:

It's also the fact that, in a lot of games now, you have an Ability Score that gives you an Ability Modifier, but then you never use the original Score anywhere. But you still have the 3-18 stats because D&D, that's why.

Dungeon World is the #1 offender in this regard, but it's a common problem in every D&D derivative game.

A big part of this forums' backlash against ability scores is how much more elegant they are in *World games in general than they have ever been in the past. You'll have between 4 and 6 stats, and the stats are always genre-appropriate names that fit the mood of the setting, and the numbers attached to the stats are directly tied to the moves you use to do things in the game. You know exactly what you're getting with each stat and exactly what you can do with it and it's all very clear. There's nothing like a better way to do a thing to make people dislike the old way of doing a thing.

Not to mention all sorts of other clever alternatives, like Danger Patrol's dice-assigned stats, or Last Stand's attributes-as-hit-points, or a variety of games getting rid of them altogether, like Golden Sky Stories and Nobilis and Law's Out.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
I've also had a lot of luck using Inkscape for layout, with some pretty good results: http://www.mediafire.com/view/ju34lp0wsgai5xp/Harbinger+Preview+Playbook.pdf

And Inkscape is free! I don't know that I'd ever want to do a full book in Inkscape though. Each individual page is its own file when working in that program. It'd be do-able but a 300 page book would need 300 files that you'd need to merge together using outside programs. You could very easily save a couple template pages and then just change the text but it's still a lot to put together at the end of the process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Baron Snow posted:

Oh god... What have I done?

Hopefully, you've decided to do an F&F writeup because I'm curious.

• Locked thread