Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I am excited about cats and the new Gumshoe version of Delta Green that's coming out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I think you're all overlooking the best dog RPG.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I've been binge-listening to RPPR's Call of Cthulhu games and now I really want to look into a d100-based game, but there are so many variations of RuneQuest and I don't know jack about Glorantha. Where do I even begin?

If you want a traditional d100 Cthulhu game, either of the last two Call of Cthulhu editions are fine. As far as Runequest goes, plain old Runequest 6 is complex but it's not a horrible mess or anything. You just have to decide what you want to do with it and figure out a game from there.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

fool_of_sound posted:

Anyone know any systems with a strong investigative system?

Gumshoe. http://pelgranepress.com/

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

fool_of_sound posted:

Yeah, I'm looking at Trail of Cthulhu now; first impression are good.

Trail is my favorite, followed by Esoterrorists 2 and Ashen Stars.

A nice thing about Trail is that, along with the adventures written specifically for it, there are tons of resources for converting the classic BRP Call of Cthulhu adventures to Gumshoe so there are a ton of good stories to run a group through if you don't want to write one yourself.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I'm looking forward to seeing the Band of Blades and Blades Against the Darkness hacks for Blades in the Dark for use in Dungeon Crawl games. I think its a much better fit for the genre than ApocWorld from which it descended.

Also its Cyberpunk hack, because why the gently caress isn't there a good lightweight cyberpunk game? Shadowrun is a god drat clunky mess, nevermind Cyberpunk 2020. [edit] And Eclipse Phase isn't my flavor of cyberpunk.

Technoir is pretty good!

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The word "chrome" now has me musing what a good pair of words for a Mad Max/Post Apocalypse version would be. :v:

Roll under Mad to do something crazy
Roll over Max to do something really crazy

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Tolan posted:

As an FYI if you haven't seen the email:

DriveThruRPG was hacked; credit card numbers used on the site between 7/10/15 and 8/6/15 may be compromised (notice is a pinned post on their FB page). More info in their FAQ on the breach.

Thank christ I use paypal on there.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Run it in GURPS

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

So after having this mentioned here and in another thread I started looking into the game and while I see some good stuff written about it, I also see that the author apparently completely bailed on his stretch goals for his 24k (2.5k goal) kickstarter. That makes me a bit leery of wanting to give the dude any cash.

Technoir and Mechnoir exist and are good, at least. YMMV on the other poo poo. I got the game I backed so I don't care too much.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

bunnielab posted:

I want D&D due to intense nostalgia. The 1ed books I was given as a kid in the 90's were this portal to crazy 70's madness that I just loved. I want a game that could be airbrushed on a dude's van. I want 10' poles and encumbrance tables. But, I also want to try some PBP stuff as I have a weird schedule so I will never get to play in real life, so I want to learn one of the more current systems and I haven't liked any of the more modern rules lite games I have looks into. Like, they look fun, but not the very specific D&D itch.

Play Dungeon Crawl Classics, Darker Dungeons, or just straight up BECMI/Rules Cyclopedia era D&D. Modern D&D isn't really going to give you what you want aside from having wizards and poo poo in it.

edit: Darker Dungeons - http://www.gratisgames.webspace.virginmedia.com/extras.html
Rules Cyclopedia - http://www.dndclassics.com/product/17171/DD-Rules-Cyclopedia-Basic?it=1&filters=0_0_44699

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Aug 16, 2015

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

You should just run AD&D then, I don't think it's the quality of the system that accounts for the lack of PBP for it around here, just not many people who want to DM it over something else. You running it would solve that problem.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Helical Nightmares posted:

News about the upcoming Delta Green book!

http://theunspeakableoath.com/home/2015/08/unspeakable-episode-21-delta-green-seminar-at-gen-con-2015/

Featuring:
-Less math in rolls!
-Fewer skills and a concomitant shift to using basic stats! For example: Want to take a picture under duress? Might take a Dex x5 roll rather than the Photography skill.
-Your skill level actually matters more than a roll! Have a 50 in Archaeology? You may get further insight into a scene automatically without rolling Spot Hidden!
-Combat is more lethal! Introducing Kill Chances! Grenades and mortars are loving deadly!
-Combat is more dangerous! You can be shaken and lose sanity!
-Gun fondling!
-Greg Stolze! Integrating the Sanity mechanics from Unknown Armies into Cthulhu!
-Bonds as sources of stability! Be like Martin Hart and take out your frustrations on your family to gain a small respite from the horrors of the Mythos! Who is the real monster now!?!

Take All My Money

They're also doing a standalone Gumshoe game about Delta Green from 1961-1971, written by Kenneth Hite, as an add-on for the Delta Green proper kickstarter next month. They're going to get however much it takes to get both of those in print out of me, at least.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Play Icewind Dale last unless you're super into the combat

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Ability Scores are good and cool

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Everyone should be familiar with Nobilis if you want to be a scholar of sweet games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I like how a lot of stuff has really extravagant names and then there's Snow Wizards. Just Snow Wizards.

• Locked thread