Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

[running past thread very quickly] Caesar I hardly know heeeeeeeerrrrr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Splicer posted:

His food obsession was because he wrote for blind kids, so he tried to include a lot of non-visual descriptors.
This explains why he picked animals. Blind kids would have an easier time understanding that vermin are evil than that blacks and Arabs are evil.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Blind child: "I don't really know what an uncivilized savage is."

Brian Jacques: "They're crazy ethnics with skin so dark it makes them evil."

Blind child: "Uh."

Brian Jacques: "Okay, look, they're uh... rats and stoats. Have a pastie."

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Captain Foo posted:

D+, you can do better
It's been so long since I read a Jacques book that I couldn't think of anything more specific.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

NutritiousSnack posted:

A lot of people want things simple as hell when doing role playing games, and Nazi's/Confederates/Soviets are the perfect strawmen for you to punch.
If only people would give the Nazis the depth of character they deserve.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

The war of Polish Aggression.
I play Sue Detenland, a private eye with a knack for danger and a briefcase full of Polish nuclear secrets... and London wants me dead!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Who does everyone think should play The Sun in the upcoming Exalted Motion Picture? My ideas:

- A torch

- A big pile of burning leaves

- Aaron Eckhart. What's this guy been up to lately? Do you think he resents Jon Hamm? I feel like they do the same thing but Jon Hamm does it better. Also what happened to Ted from Better Off Ted?

- A flashlight

- Some matches

- A Lite-Brite

- The moon

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

bunnielab posted:

Yo I am still trying to decide what edition of D&D I wanna get back into. I have read the quickstart rules for 4th and 5th, and have acquired a bunch of the old 1ed books I have in storage somewhere. Now that there are two 1st ed PBP games I can get a refresher of that edition, but I would love a recommendation for a really good PBP game for 4th and 5th. Preferably ones that show off the mechanics well. Thanks dudes!

EDIT: I assume 2nd is much like 1st and 3rd is too weird to mess with.
Second is nothing like first. Second is its own weird thing.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I liked that the servants of Shub Niggurath were literally sexy furries.
Is there any context in which you don't like sexy furries?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

This forced meme sucks donkey balls. Gas
Any meme can become great, however forced its start.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Quick, let's all start reserving our nostalgia for things that deserve it, because that's how nostalgia works now.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Japanese Games: Chrono Trigger, Deus Ex, Final Fantasy 7, Metal Gear Solid 3, Morrowind

American Games: Chrono Cross, Deus Ex: Invisible War, Final Fantasy 2, Call Of Duty, Oblivion, the bad Bust-a-Moves, Baldur's Gate 2, E.T. 64, Superman: The Arcade Game

The difference is clear.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Jack Kirby is the best superhero comic artist and writer of all time.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Error 404 posted:

United States of Lions checking in.
I think this happened in a Parks and Rec episode.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Effectronica posted:

At least one mainstream artist got all their fame from replicating his work.
I wouldn't say Stan Lee "replicated" it as much as he "stole" it by "using" it without giving Kirby any "money."

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Backstory length was never an issue for me, but here's what I looked for:

- With your backstory, does it make sense for your character to be in the plot? If you're hunting the man who killed your family, you might have more pressing business than the plot.

- Are there interesting hooks? Can I do something with your backstory that will be fun for the other players?

- Does your character have anything in their backstory that will make it impossible to cooperate with the party? If you're an escaped Nazi war criminal it's probably not going to work.

- Will it give you an undue amount of the spotlight? The flip side of the interesting hook question, does your backstory make you more important than other characters?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

What category of war crimes are we talking about?
Ones incompatible with the other characters' war crimes.

• Locked thread