Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Error 404 posted:

If true, explains so much.

The fact that your parents apparently bathed you with clothes on is frightening to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Error 404 posted:

Skill focus: Plutonis

People can tell when you're fronting.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
There's nothing wrong with ability scores, even with having them alongside class, level, and skills. A bigger issue is that they're often implemented terribly and counterintuitively when that's the case, such as in D&D past 2e. But it's not exactly hard to see a game where you have two silos, one with class and level as the key elements and another with ability scores and skills as the key element. Ability scores also allow you to, if they're well-designed, sum up a character with a glance (D&D doesn't do this very well at all) even if they're cosmetic, which helps with roleplaying somewhat. You could also use them as the centerpiece of a damage system.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

FactsAreUseless posted:

Jack Kirby is the best superhero comic artist and writer of all time.

At least one mainstream artist got all their fame from replicating his work.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

FactsAreUseless posted:

I wouldn't say Stan Lee "replicated" it as much as he "stole" it by "using" it without giving Kirby any "money."

I was talking about Rob Liefeld :rolleyes:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Countblanc posted:

The whole recruitment system is weird to me in general. Unless everyone knows each other and I'm just not aware of it but like, I've found that focusing on novel character ideas instead of player synergy leads to a much less enjoyable game and has characters that end up functioning more as gimmicks than anything. Like if the way to get your character in a game is to make them stand out of course you're going to make their two paragraph introduction explosive (and maybe a bit pandering if you know the GM's tastes) and possibly make their mechanics something weird too.

Speaking as the kind of dude that thinks a lot about how to GM well, it's much easier to do it when you understand what the other players are going to find appealing, turn-offs, etc., at least on a basic level. Lengthy backgrounds aren't much of a substitute.

• Locked thread