Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Bedlamdan posted:

yes, you caught the reference I was making, but seriously I will genocide that loving cat if it keeps trying to bite me when I just go out of my way to avoid it.

Spray bottle of vinegar mixed with water. You don't even have to spray it directly at the cat; the smell will be enough to keep him away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Bedlamdan posted:

gently caress yourself

I'll see if friends are down for that, thank you.

No prob. Make sure it's a clear vinegar, like rice or white wine, so it doesn't stain.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Apparently if you squeeze a pug the right wrong way, it's eyeballs will pop out of their sockets. :psyduck:

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Helical Nightmares posted:

A Red & Pleasant Land Is a quite original setting. It deserves the awards it got. :smugdog:

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

paradoxGentleman posted:

Hearing Zak S complain about harrasment has got to be the peak of irony.

It's true. As much as I like his art and RPG's, he's still a lovely person. Sadly true of a lot of artists.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

I want the D&D movie to be centered entirely around a brutal dungeon crawl.

Imagine the Mines of Moria sequence from Fellowship padded out to 2 hours, with the entire party dying horribly before they can escape.

Then a second party goes down to follow rumors of the first. All except one dies, who we find out is the only one to survive to tell the tale.

The End! No moral!

Dungeons and Dragons: a Lars Von Trier film

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Tulpa posted:

Made me think more of Nicolas Winding Refn's Valhalla Rising, which is essentially the wilderness-adventure equivalent of such a D&D movie.

Hell yeah! I came *this* close to mentioning Valhalla Rising in my last post.

It's on Netflix streaming, watch it now if you haven't already, thread.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

paradoxGentleman posted:

This discussion made me reread DM of the Rings, and holy poo poo is everyone much more of an rear end in a top hat that I remember. The GM is the most likeable character and he's completely tone deaf to what his fellow players want, which has got to be one of the cardinal sins of GMing.

Yeah, I think there's much more of an equitable player/GM relationship in Darths & Droids.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

fool_of_sound posted:

It's the lack of depth, combined with spreading out over many rolls what should be resolved with a single test. The combat system isn't particularly rules-light, not in the same way something like FATE is, where players are free to creatively act and respond in ways that make the battle dynamic (mostly due to the Compel system and swinging Fate points). Instead, you're stuck saying 'I hack and slash, with +2 ongoing for 2d8 damage', repeatedly, occasionally pausing to come up with a way to say 'I hack and slash, except with a torch i got off the wall' when you fight a swarm or whatever, or 'I Defy Danger because my wizard got charged'. There isn't enough mechanical options to make heavy combat compelling, and the system tries to make up for this by forcing you to come up with 16 ways of saying 'I hit it with my sword'.

Saying "I Hack & Slash" over and over again is like saying "I hit it with my sword" over and over again in a game like D&D and Exalted; it's actively discouraged. The rules explicitly tell you to describe your move in a way that fits the narrative. If your player is just saying "I Hack and Slash" or "I Defy Danger", that's when you tell them to be more explicit in their description. It's as bad a sin as a DW GM's telling players "Ok, I'm making a Soft Move to increase dramatic tension!"

As much as I like Fate, I think a Compel/Dramatic editing resource like Fate Points goes against the emergent play style of gaming that DW wants to emulate. DW allows players to control the narrative and setting to a certain extent, but leaves enough of an element beyond their control to retain the elements of danger and risk. Fate, for the most part, contains comparatively little element of risk towards its characters. A Complication, even death, is largely just another method for a player to add set dressing to the overall story.

DW is not a perfect system, but I actually prefer it to most PtBA games, like Monster of the Week or AW, that seem to mostly force you to march lock-step to the drumbeat of their intended genre.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

fool_of_sound posted:

Most of the PBTA games I've seen resolves 'I fight the thing' as a single die roll (or a short series of opposed rolls representing gaining and losing the upper hand), with the standard failure/partial/success roll with standard narrative impact. DW is trying to emulate D&D and similar, so it breaks off it's combat mechanics from the other systems, centralizes the game on them, and requires multiple rolls per fight (substantially more than the second version above) using damage/hp/special effects.

I guess it just didn't go far *enough*?

DM: "Your party arrives in front of The Floating Caves of Danger, where the Three-Headed Amoeba King and his armies are hoarding treasure and threatening the Gnomish Isles! There is a barred crystal door sealing the entrance! What's your first move?!?"

Player: "Hmm... I don't really want to, y'know... "Interact with things"? Ill just make a "Complete the dungeon" move!" *rolls a 7*

DM: "Ok, Elfrick the Elf dies (sorry, Steve), but you go through the Caves and defeat the Amoeba King. Everyone gets 1,000 coin and a level. Well, that was fun... see you all next week?"

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

So, change of topic: Been watching The Adventures of Brisco County Jr. lately: Any good Wild West RPG's that aren't Deadlands?

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

remusclaw posted:

The shot clock and silhouette gun fights are a lot of fun and there are a lot of things done as mini games like bar brawls and mining. It uses randomly rolled D&D stats and a kind of reversed percentile system for skills. It also has the seemingly inescapable and to my mind totally unnecessary alternate history that means the Confederacy still exists and the U.S is all broken up. The presentation is beautiful though, especially if you get a first edition hardcover.

Ugh. For once I'd like to see a Western setting where the Civil War proceeded pretty much the way it did in history and there's no Confederate presence.

One of the great things about the Brisco County Jr setting is that there is a certain amount of racial and gender equality baked into it; women can become bounty hunters, and blacks can be respected businessmen, and nobody seems to think there's anything amiss. (Largely because it's a 90's TV show, but I'd like to retain that aspect in an RPG)

If they have to go the alternate history route, make a setting where Lincoln escaped assassination and the Union followed through with the promises of Reconstuction. A setting with a more stable postwar South, where Jim Crow never got an chance and the cause of civil rights got pushed ahead, would actually be great to see.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

What's wrong with the Confederacy existing? As long as it doesn't delve on Lost Cause myths they are pretty much the perfect bad guy government to have the players fight against.

There's nothing *wrong* with it, it's just boring and cliche at this point.

Besides, if your group is a bunch of rebel outlaws, the perfect bad guy government is "whatever government you happen to be living under."

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

remusclaw posted:

The Western is a staple in American society, and I would say Hollywood has managed to do just fine throughout most of its history in coming up with stories and antagonists for them without the conceit of an independent South.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

It's important to note that of all the hundreds of movies and TV shows made in the Western genre, approx. 0 have been made in a setting where the Confederacy won the war. It's only tabletop RPGs that seem to have this weird fetish for a Southern victory.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Basic problem with "large group of unambiguous bad guys" is that it's not often a troupe you see in Westerns. Unless the story takes place before or during the war, any reference to the Confederacy is an afterthought (usually character background). The conflict has shifted from North v. South to East v. West*. Most villains you see in Westerns operate on a local scale - train robbers, a hostile Indian tribe, outlaw on the run from bounty-hunting PC's. The "land of evil" troupe is trying to apply a fantasy solution to a Western game, which is why you end up with Dixie Mordor in all these games.

Better overarching antagonists for Westerns: land-robbing railroad and cattle barons, a powerful leader of multiple gangs, the Mexican Empire

* and even that is mostly a conflict of resources rather than ideology

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

remusclaw posted:

I think his point was more that there are few or no unambiguous evil bad guys or groups, just ones that have aims that oppose yours. Complexity is your friend and the rare unambiguous evil in a western is often just a single vile human being played by Lee Van Cleef.

Pretty much. It why I think Westerns are suited for sandbox play (with actual sand!). Your players make a posse, you design a territory with a bunch of towns, interesting places (ghost towns, Indian territory, railroad construction sites, abandoned mine, forts, etc.), antagonists. Post bounties and let them go wild.

Has there been any sort of OSR hack of Boot Hill, the old TSR Western RPG? Seems like it'd be prime material for this sort of thing.

Edit: come to think of it, it wouldn't be too hard to do a Wild West conversion of Unknown Armies

Simian_Prime fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Aug 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

A truly accurate Skyrim RPG would involve having the players read from a 1000+ page collection of short stories and poems every time their character picks up a book.

The GM directs them to a library when he wants to go make a sandwich.

• Locked thread