Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

The City Around a Tarrasque thing is pretty cool. I'd love to play in/run a game with that as a centerpiece.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I've been binge-listening to RPPR's Call of Cthulhu games and now I really want to look into a d100-based game, but there are so many variations of RuneQuest and I don't know jack about Glorantha. Where do I even begin?

Rolemaster! :v:

Apparently BRP Fantasy whateverthefuck is pretty good as far as BRP goes. I can't remember what the specific name of the book you'd want is, I seem to recall they've got some mess of editions going on.

WFRP 2E was okay-ish. I dunno how hard it would be to get the books nowadays. I'd actually like to see the thing cleaned up and turned into an old-schooly gritty fantasy game, somewhere in between the weighty fantasy-science of the 40k RPGs and WFRP2.

I don't think there are actually any good percentile games out there. At least, none that I know of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

gradenko_2000 posted:

I heard all the horror stories, figured it couldn't be that bad, skimmed the combat section of what was supposed to be the simplified version of RM (Rolemaster Express) and got scared off.

I never got on the Rolemaster Express train, but I'm pretty sure it has the same problem all other versions of Rolemaster have had: It makes itself look way more complicated than it actually is. It's not all that bad compared to any other 80's-90's games, but it does an abysmal job of explaining itself. And it's still an 80's-90's game, so digging into it you'll still only find an at best mediocre game anyway. (The crit charts are still fun as hell, and everyone loved them in the short MERP game I ran for the express purpose of experiencing ridiculous 80's gaming.)

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

gradenko_2000 posted:

I know I came across a document before of trying to match the various 13th Age icons to Eberron organizations, such as the Lord of Blades instead of the Crusader and the Church of the Silver Flame instead of the Priestess.

That seems like the exactly wrong way to do Icons for a different setting?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

As with most of Dungeon World's greatest faults, the worst thing about its combat is that it is too similar to D&D the system instead of D&D the nostalgic experience.

remusclaw posted:

Yeah, I don't think I've seen a single cat this whole page.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Aug 9, 2015

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

drrockso20 posted:

you broke the tables with cuteness

Woops, sorry, I'm phone posting so it wasn't apparent. Fixed.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I never knew where that "screaming elf face" avatar came from.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Considering SJG still releases micro-supplements through e23, they seem plenty dedicated to GURPS in the sense that they like it and want to support it, but also it's an RPG so it makes poo poo money.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

They also did a Car Wars Kickstarter not that long ago, but I think that's it.

drrockso20 posted:

they should really start hopping on the Kickstarter bandwagon, I bet a new edition of GURPS would make a butt ton of money since it's still a pretty big name

"GURPS would probably be a big (for an RPG) Kickstarter success" isn't very compelling in the face of any other successfully run business. It's not like Fate Core/Exalted 3/Numenera aren't putting the better part of those $$$$ into production, stretch goals and fulfillment. Look at the backer tiers for those things. People expect and mostly get retail-equivalent prices for backing a product at least, and plenty of folks bitch and moan about not getting even more product for that same price.

I would just crap out another Munchkin expansion with a crowdfunding theme.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

quote:

I'd just like to take this opportunity to say that what's been said about CthulhuTech in this thread is a) absolutely correct, and b) indefensible. My previous statements on the subject are similarly indefensible. All I can say is, going forward, we're going to do better. Don't take my word for it. We're developing a second edition now. The core book will be pay-what-you-want and/or Creative Commons, so you won't have to spend a dime to see for yourself. For those whose trust we've irrevocably lost, all I can say is I'm sorry. I look back on some of the things I said and some of the things we published, and I seriously don't know what I/we were thinking.

Well…huh. :unsmith:

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

paradoxGentleman posted:

Oh, so by "ability scores" you mean stuff like D&D stats? Strenght, Dexterity and whatnot?

Yep.

In older editions sometimes depending on the whims of the GM and how he interpreted the rules, you might do an ability check by rolling under the ability score. As soon as you used anything resembling non-weapon proficiencies, this was immediately dumb. Then in 3.x "ability check" became just a skill check without a skill bonus, taking your ability bonus versus a regular DC. Which, as far as slimming down the mechanics and making the math easier, was a good idea, but they kept those superfluous scores because, uh, it's D&D. And then there're all the inconsistencies that arise from writers remembering or not remembering, or caring or not caring, so sometimes when you're weakened by something it reduces your ability score (which was often translated directly into a set penalty, making it even dumber), and sometimes it just gives you a penalty to ability rolls. And they added ability score increases as you level, but they were piddly poo poo boosts, so you could raise the roof over getting an odd score that does nothing while on the side of the system that matters you picked up ice storm or wish or some poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

There are tons of brief, basic tutorials for InDesign all over the place; Adobe hosts some of the better ones themselves. Short of taking an actual class, I think the best thing to do is to start dicking around and find out what seems hard or impossible, then ask how to do those things or how to do them better.

Scribus is pretty impressive for a free product, but they lag in a lot of important ways, and the last two rounds of InDesign CC have been packed with quality-of-life upgrades compared to CS6 or whatever the gently caress life was like before ~the cloud~, and I'd still take CS6 over Scribus. Although, the last time I seriously looked at Scribus was probably almost a year ago, and was already habituated to InDesign well before then.

• Locked thread