Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Drone posted:

I want more Dark Sun. Dark Sun knockoffs are fine too.

One day I will get around to running my 'Tyr City Blues' Dark Sun police procedural game. One day...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

AlphaDog posted:

I left out squamous, rugose and non-euclidean on purpose since a) they don't actually come up very often in the writing and b) I have no idea what the first two even mean. e: I wasn't even being serious, just listing off stuff lovecraft kept on writing down.

As I recall, squamous means to have legs and hip joints arranged kind of like on a crocodile, so they stick 'out and then down'. I used to know what rugose meant but have since forgotten. :sinister chord:

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
A while ago this forum introduced me to this image:

I'm sure there was a sequel image of sorts, somewhere, which showed the gnome and the lady riding off or something else indicating they were together, but I have no idea how to find it. Anyone know what I'm talking about? Did I make it up?

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

I'll believe it when I see it, but if they do manage to create a new version that avoids all the pitfalls of the old more power to them.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Error 404 posted:

_________________________/

Wasn't it last August that Sammy G dominated the chat thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Plague of Hats posted:

Scribus is pretty impressive for a free product, but they lag in a lot of important ways, and the last two rounds of InDesign CC have been packed with quality-of-life upgrades compared to CS6 or whatever the gently caress life was like before ~the cloud~, and I'd still take CS6 over Scribus. Although, the last time I seriously looked at Scribus was probably almost a year ago, and was already habituated to InDesign well before then.

InDesign is vastly superior to Scribus and also vastly more expensive. 'Free' can be a drat compelling argument.

I learned how to use InDesign (and Scribus) based on trial and error -- you can get a pretty sweet-looking pdf out of an indd file that would make a pro (or a seasoned amateur such as myself) gibber with horror, although as someone mentioned upthread there is such a thing as best practice and you won't be learning it. On the other hand, if no-one's going to see the source files but you... who cares?

True story: the first thing I ever had to do in InDesign was edit a flyer my company was putting out, and I couldn't for the life of me work out how to turn off underlined text (which is what the previous designer had done). So I copied the backdrop entity, which was a solid colour, and squished it so that it covered the underline I wanted to remove. Looked just fine when it was printed.

I waffled some about my experiences and know-how here in the Game Writing Workshop thread if people want to know some basics.

• Locked thread