Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012

Elfcat :radcat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012
If you haven't already read them, you all have no excuse for not having checked out John Rogers' Fell's Five D&D comics now that the entirety of the series is pay what you want on the current Humble Books Bundle.

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012

CaptCommy posted:

Are any of the others worth shelling out for?
I can't speak for any of the Classics, Forgotten Realms or otherwise. The only other series on there that I read in entirety was the Neverwinter Drizzt series, which didn't seem all that great, as nothing of consequence seemed to happen. It was my first exposure to Salvatore/Drizzt, though, so that might have contributed to my lack of emotional investment.

The first issue of Ed Greenwood's Forgotten Realms series didn't impress me enough to try out the second. I think he's probably a better novelist, since the comic seemed overly verbose/dialogue heavy for the medium. Wizards also had a free preview of Cutter, but once again, that didn't convince me that the quality was good enough to spend any money on it.

The only other series in the bundle that I could potentially recommend is Jim Zub's Baldur's Gate series. I haven't personally checked it out, but he's the writer behind Skullkickers. It's kind of moot though, since it's in the same tier as Rogers' stuff.

Basically, if there's anything that has enough nostalgia factor for you, it might be worth it unless it's only one book at a given price threshold (since at that point it's likely more cost effective to purchase the collected volume(s) individually at a place like Comixology, for which IDW provides comparable DRM-free formats).

All of this negativity might give you the wrong impression regarding Fell's Five, which I can assure you is good comics; I actually prefer it to Rat Queens (although I'm a few issues behind on that series).

Auralsaurus Flex fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Aug 13, 2015

• Locked thread