Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
The only time I'm able to get a photo of this 19.4 lb monster of a cat is when he's sleeping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Alien Rope Burn posted:

He won some awards and a contingent of people including Cam Banks walked out, about "three rows" of people. Fred Hicks supported it on twitter but I don't know if he was there. The funny thing that Zak S himself and others have pointed out that the number of copies of Red and Pleasant Land sold is fairly small and doesn't match up to the ENWorld userbase at all (like 2-3k copies sold and 20k votes cast), which means the ballot box was stuffed in some sense by people who never read it (or who just pirated it, a possibility I haven't seen commented on elsewhere). In theory, it shouldn't be possible for it to win, but it did. Something weird went on but it's not particularly clear what.

In all likelihood it's a Sad Puppies situation.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Helical Nightmares posted:

Edit: Why the hell am I finding nothing else on this topic but that one site?

Because no one else really gives as much of a poo poo as a site built on the discarded trash from other forums?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Quarex posted:

:confused: Huh, I remember from the conversations I had back earlier this year about Gen-Con, it did not sound like That Part Of Gaming was really even represented there. Were Zak and his Simultaneously Pro-And-Anti-Everything Alliance actually present for this?

Zak won some Ennies (big whoop) and there were some "Zak Saved D&D" t-shirts being sold/passed around.

I don't think the stinkbat himself was present, but those who sided with him were, if in small numbers.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

FMguru posted:

IIRC, one of Zak's books won an Ennie and a bunch of people in the audience went "ugh, gently caress that" and walked out, which is just proof that Zak is right and something something SJWs.

Three rows of people, from what I gather, with Cam Banks among them.

Ryoshi posted:

Are the Ennie's actually taken seriously, at all, by anyone? I am legit asking, I have no idea.

No, not really. It's only taken seriously by people who want to prove a point that is beyond the scope of the award show. Most of the time D&D/PF just stomps all over whatever category they are in, which is expected from a set of awards coming from what was is a glorified D&D fan site.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

gnome7 posted:

No that's basically it. It sticks a little too close to its D&D roots. The core playbooks are uninspired at best and outright boring at worst. There's a bunch of rules in the book literally nobody uses (who cares about the Steading rules? Anyone? How many people know you're supposed to get a discount on your purchases equal to your full charisma score?). It's too gritty in some places it should be loose and too mechanical in some places it should be more fictional. Another big criticism is that the basic moves are too granular and only cover one specific action in one specific moment, while in, say, Apoc World, the basic "fight them" move resolves an entire fight in one roll (this isn't one I necessarily agree with, since a D&D clone should be pretty granular with combat to be a D&D clone, but it is on the table).

As for Adam Koebel specifically, I don't know which parts of DW he and Sage worked on specifically, but they are both very old school in their tastes, and they really wanted to write a retroclone with Apocalypse World inspiration than the other way around when making DW. So knowing that, yeah. A new game by Adam isn't something I am excited for. It is definitely more of a "wait and see and hope for the best".

It always felt like DW could use a new edition, one that clears away a bunch of the crud and further sheds some of its D&Disms. But, well, I don't know if that will ever happen.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Davin Valkri posted:

Don't games from that time period tend to age terribly regarding stuff like bad user interfaces, poor mechanical balance and opaque documentation?

Pretty much, yeah. I can't play Planescape: Torment due to how bad everything in that game runs, from the controls to the interface to the combat mechanics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

GOG games generally come preconfigured and tweaked for modern machines.

gnome7 posted:

It helps, but it can't fix everything. 90s PC games are just awash with really bad UI and control schemes. Not to mention how common sudden spikes in difficulty are for no reason and loads of "gotcha!" game design decisions.

This.

I just can't get into the game due to it's frustratingly slow gameplay and awful UI. I know it's a good game underneath there but I'm not going to struggle and fight with the game to experience all of that.

This goes for most cRPGs though, so it mostly has to do with those games just not really being for me even when I give them an honest shot.

• Locked thread