Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Sixto Lezcano posted:

I'm out of town for a week or two and I visited the local game store (WAY bigger than the one in my hometown!). Two books caught my eye; Legend of the Burning Sands, and The One Ring (which comes in a snazzy box with dice n stuff). I found an abandoned F&F about the latter but it was abandoned before going into much detail. I'm probably gonna pick up one of the two because my gf has a bunch of credit at the store that we need to burn before we leave. Anyone have experience with either of them? Or know where I can read more nitty-gritty F&F style stuff about em?
Kemper Boyd loves The One Ring to bits and wrote a long-rear end review of it for GamerXP.

Legend of the Burning Sands is Legend of the Five Rings's Arabian Nights -style companion game. As far as cultural stereotypes go, I don't think it's too offensive, but it's based on the third edition L5R system, which wasn't nearly as good as the current fourth. I dunno, you could head into the L5R thread to find out more maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Simian_Prime posted:

Has there been any sort of OSR hack of Boot Hill, the old TSR Western RPG? Seems like it'd be prime material for this sort of thing.
Pelgrane did an OSR thing with western trappings, Owl Hoot Trail.

I don't think it's analogous to Boot Hill, I don't think Boot Hill had orcs in it.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Ratpick posted:

So, John Harper's Lasers & Feelings is pretty much the best rules right Star Trek RPG out there, and the best thing about it is that it converts to almost any genre where you can easily see two poles that are used to define characters, right? So, you could probably use it for, say, the Cthulhu Mythos as Sanity (traditional investigative techniques) & Sorcery (knowledge of how things work under the rules of the Mythos and how to use it).
:frogon:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Ratpick posted:

My main problem is, what determines when a character's stat slides up towards Sorcery? I'd like to keep it sort of in the hands of players, so probably not just "Increase stat when you see a Cthulhu." It'd have to actually be something the player elects to do. Hmmm, maybe that's just it? If you see a Mythos monstrosity your only options are to either run away and hide and not lose Sanity, or stand and fight and lose Sanity whether you win or not. Decide not to touch that Mythos tome? You won't lose Sanity, but at the same time you're electing to not get the clue hidden within that tome which could help you solve the mystery.
This is sort of reminding me of the Gumshoe system. The players can get the basic clues by asking nicely, but they can always look a bit deeper into it...

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Ratpick posted:

Speaking of which, I've hit another design snag: what do I call the Laserfeelings equivalent in this game?
It's a bit boring, but maybe something like "Perspective" or "Insight"? Maybe "Sense", as in it all makes sense for a brief moment, and sensing is somewhere in there between formal logic and full clarity.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

"I've got a bad feeling about this." :v:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

ProfessorCirno posted:

There was a chargen website for it here but it's since been lost.
You can still access it through The Wayback Machine.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Fozzilized Rappy did a F&F on Northern Crown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

To everyone who recommended Fell's Five when it was up on Humble Bundle:

Thanks. This really is the best.

• Locked thread