Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dec 26, 2012

IT BEGINS posted:

What do you find particularly unsatisfying about it? Is it the lack of depth? I'd have thought a rules-light system like DW would result in combat that's more interesting, not less.

Why would that be the case?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dec 26, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

If only people would give the Nazis the depth of character they deserve.

What if Goebbels was one of us? Just a slob like one of us?

Dec 26, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

Any meme can become great, however forced its start.

Memes don't start great, greatness is maked over time.

Dec 26, 2012

bunnielab posted:

How people can hate on realtime-with-pause is beyond me. Turn based is so dull.

I am curious to see if I have matured at all in the last 25 years or if Eye of the Beholder will still make me fly into a frustrated rage.

I haven't yet seen a good argument in favor of real time with pause compared to properly-implemented turn-based.

Dec 26, 2012

Countblanc posted:

Because realtime-with-pause is actually just "realtime-until-it's-hard-then-pause." If the issue with turn based combat is that fighting weak enemies is boring (the thing that realtime alleviates), get rid of the weak enemies.

This is correct.

Dec 26, 2012

fool_of_sound posted:

The Spiderweb cRPGs are all pretty good (especially Geneforge), and made in America.

And yeah, Arcanum has a really frustrating early game.

Please play Geneforge, everyone.

Dec 26, 2012

paradoxGentleman posted:

Why do a lot of people in this forum hate ability scores?

Assuming they have a mechanical use beyond general skill proficiency, they're often redundant with the concept of classes and often bog down the math side of games, as well as being another part where someone can get "trapped" while making a character.

Dec 26, 2012

Effectronica posted:

There's nothing wrong with ability scores, even with having them alongside class, level, and skills. A bigger issue is that they're often implemented terribly and counterintuitively when that's the case, such as in D&D past 2e. But it's not exactly hard to see a game where you have two silos, one with class and level as the key elements and another with ability scores and skills as the key element. Ability scores also allow you to, if they're well-designed, sum up a character with a glance (D&D doesn't do this very well at all) even if they're cosmetic, which helps with roleplaying somewhat. You could also use them as the centerpiece of a damage system.

I like what was done with ability scores in pillars of eternity, in concept anyway (never mind the execution).

Dec 26, 2012

Bedlamdan posted:

I hated having one or two less points to meet a skill check, and knowing that I just needed to rest in a specific inn or something to get it. I'd think it ought to be a percentile based chance of success, except that's also an annoying pain in the rear end where you're constantly reloading the game to beat the skill check.

One of the tricks to making something like that work is to take out any sort of temporary ability score boosters because otherwise you run into those exact kinds of problems.

Dec 26, 2012

moths posted:

The D&D arcade games taught a valuable lesson about how stupid that magic system would look in practice.

Yeah, it taught me that it could completely own in a good game instead of underwhelm in a bad one.

Dec 26, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

I figure it has to do with the communal nature of /tg/ projects, as they both quickly figure out what does and doesn't work, and will be absolutely vicious in mocking a bad layout in ways that even SA pales at doing

It's a bit misleading, as those projects might start communally, but in most cases you can bet that if one of them got finished it was less a function of the community and more a function of the 1-5 people who gave enough of a drat about whatever silly poo poo everyone thought up to actually stick with it.

Dec 26, 2012

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

That's pretty much what I can recall that happened with the Pokémon Tabletop, although it was way more than 5 people working on the development! (Before the split at least)

Helical Nightmares posted:

Pretty much what happened with Chapter Master and Engine Heart (though the latter was directed by one man, Viral, from the beginning iirc)

Yeah, I'm not saying that hypothetically, I was involved in one of them like 7 years ago. At the point where we collectively ended it, there were three of us, of which two contributed meaningfully to the conversation.

Dec 26, 2012

We may never know.

Dec 26, 2012

You might get a totally sweet robot vampire out of it at least.

Dec 26, 2012

Countblanc posted:

Because Young Adult literature is the pinnacle of the written word.

This is a fact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dec 26, 2012

Effectronica posted:

Speaking as the kind of dude that thinks a lot about how to GM well, it's much easier to do it when you understand what the other players are going to find appealing, turn-offs, etc., at least on a basic level. Lengthy backgrounds aren't much of a substitute.

Very much so. Shorter broad-strokes backgrounds are probably easier to work with if anything, filling in details as you go as you see the party and decide what kind of game you want it to end up being and what kind of character you want to be playing is a good practice.

• Locked thread