Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

gnome7 posted:

Chuubo's really is the gift that keeps on giving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Fallen London would be a pretty excellent setting, both in terms of tone and flexibility. If you want to plumb the deep mysteries of the setting and answer the big questions (why do the Masters of the Bazaar tax love stories? What happened to the Fallen Cities before London? What is the Vake, exactly?) you can, but you can also just smuggle tea and prisoner's honey with the cover of the darkness if you don't feel like it.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Hearing Zak S complain about harrasment has got to be the peak of irony.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

The Vosgian Beast posted:

And since then I've been wondering how a game based on everyone being a different wild animal joining forces to steal food from Farmer Brown like adventurers raiding the Tomb of Horrors would work.

This reminded me of Redwall, which is probably the series with the best description of foodstuff in the history of fantasy.

The closest RPG I can think of is Bunnies and Burrows, but that one is all about rabbits and I feel like your idea loses something without the various animals joining forces to get those delicious turnips.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I would appreciate a piece of media depicting both the players bantering and playing IRL and the characters in the world of the game. Frankly I think a comic would be the ideal medium for this.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Splicer posted:

Have you read dm of the rings?

Yes I did, and yeah, I meant something of the sort.
I am not as much of a Tolkien fan as it is expected from tabletop enthusiasts, to tell the truth.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Aug 8, 2015

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

This discussion made me reread DM of the Rings, and holy poo poo is everyone much more of an rear end in a top hat that I remember. The GM is the most likeable character and he's completely tone deaf to what his fellow players want, which has got to be one of the cardinal sins of GMing.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

What are some good places to hunt for PbP games?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

This is why I make it a point of having no evil races in my setting.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I played a single FF game, that being FF XII-2. While the fighing system wasn't awful, exactly, it did get rather boring between one boss and the next, and it had that problem I always have with JRPGs: I end up being shamefully underleveled because I abuse the weakness system and can't stand grinding for levels so I get brickwalled by particularly tough bosses.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Why do a lot of people in this forum hate ability scores?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Oh, so by "ability scores" you mean stuff like D&D stats? Strenght, Dexterity and whatnot?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I live among what I assume are the Wolf Garibaldens.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Error 404 posted:

See also:
Fantasy
Superheroes
Sci-fi
Lovecraft

I am going to be honest here: my gut reaction was to jump to the defense of three out of four of those.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Error 404 posted:

Nothing to defend. They all rule, they all make good gaming, and they all tend to be "bad".

What exactly do you mean by "bad"? Because I think the way GRRM portrays different characters with different, conflicting viewpoints is incredible and I will never not love Asimov's Three Laws of Robotics series, which pose some wonderful questions to the nature of artificial intelligence, all wrapped up in the shiny package of robot stories . If that makes me the scum of the literary world I can probably live with that.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Aug 30, 2015

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

My point isn't that genre fiction is hard to emulate via tabletop (seeing as it has been done to death, it would have been a pretty stupid point); my point is that genre fiction isn't as bad as people say it is.

fosborb posted:

And seriously, GRRM? I stopped reading at the child rape, so what was that, like the first 10 pages?
You must be confused: in the first ten pages the child is actually thrown out of a window. :eng101;

gradenko_2000 posted:

This already ate one thread. Please don't let it take another.

Oh man, that's what it was? I thought it was going grossly out of topic. I'll say this and drop it: I was not bothered by the portrayal of rape in those books, and I like them very much. If you disagree on either of those topics, I respect your perspective but do not share it.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Error 404 posted:

And sometimes you can acknowledge the flaws in something and also be a fan of that thing.

Which is all I meant saying stuff was bad.

Oh! I guess I misunderstood you. Yeah, this is something that one should do with most of what one consumes.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

While that is certainly some cool loot, I've got to say that my favorite has to be the elf with the machine gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Whichever your preference is, you should make it clear in your OP so people can tailor their characters to the needs of the game if they want to participate. I would feel pretty bummed out If I wrote a full page of background dripping with story hooks only to have it rejected because it's too long.

• Locked thread