Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Drone posted:

All these people talking about going to GenCon are making me jealous that I don't live in Cincinnati anymore and have an easy chance to go every year, since I'm now in Europe. Has anyone been/does anyone regularly go to Spiel in Essen, Germany (apparently the largest GenCon-like in Europe/one of the largest in the world)?
I have always wanted to go since learning about it, does that count

Cat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Alien Rope Burn posted:

My GenCon Blurry Recollections:
  • Signs We Still Have Further To Go: Zak S winning Ennies wasn't nearly as bad as Dungeons & Dragons and Pathfinder stomping the ceremony, yay for samey old fantasy, gently caress innovation, etc. The fact that Guide to Glorantha only won one award is just hideously embarrassing, not to mention all the wonderous and innovative stuff that's been hitting the shelves. Alas. Also, still have companies like Kamikaze Games, Blind Ferret, Soda Pop Miniatures, Kingdom Death, and stuff like dakimakura sellers making GBS threads up the exhibit hall. Still, there are positive signs, like the Game of Thrones CCG, which could have been skeevy as its source material but chose not to be. So there's a lot of positive stuff going on nonetheless. The Zak S walkout, lauded by his supporters as some sort of victory (because of course it is), is a sign poo poo's changing.
:confused: Huh, I remember from the conversations I had back earlier this year about Gen-Con, it did not sound like That Part Of Gaming was really even represented there. Were Zak and his Simultaneously Pro-And-Anti-Everything Alliance actually present for this?

This is nice

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Bro I thought I was done being able to be instantly excited about the possibilities for upcoming movies

Then I thought about endlessly reading about the casting calls for THE RED WIZARDS OF THAY

Oh man

I think the best thing they could do would be to go all-in from the start and plan it as though the Forgotten Realms contains the potential to be the medieval equivalent of the Avengers films build/cycle. I mean, I cannot begin to imagine this working, but I also never would have guessed we would ever see the Hobbit somehow turned into 3 super-profitable films.

Edit: I really do need to play Apocalypse World at least once to see if I am that Venn diagram overlap

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

remusclaw posted:

The shot clock and silhouette gun fights are a lot of fun and there are a lot of things done as mini games like bar brawls and mining. It uses randomly rolled D&D stats and a kind of reversed percentile system for skills. It also has the seemingly inescapable and to my mind totally unnecessary alternate history that means the Confederacy still exists and the U.S is all broken up. The presentation is beautiful though, especially if you get a first edition hardcover.
I will never forget my first encounter with Kenzer & Co., the year they released Aces & Eights

We saw them demonstrating the shot clock/silhouette thing in a demo, and assumed they were like a gaming accoutrement producer, and were like "omg! We will take like ten of those, these are perfect for Deadlands." Then of course we found out they were not stand-alone and you only got one of them even when you purchased the full hardback $60? edition of the Aces & Eights book and our dreams would cost hundreds of dollars. And then we read Aces & Eights and found out it was literally just "a western." And that is the astounding story of how we wanted to throw money at them and instead have never given them any.

Is Aces & Eights actually fun at all, or is it just an incomprehensibly dense minimum-frills western game?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

DigitalRaven posted:

As a mathematician, every time someone says "non-Euclidian geometry" I immediately want them to specify elliptic or hyperbolic. It's not like this is difficult, any system of geometry that doesn't use the parallel postulate is non-Euclidian.
DigitalRaven delved too greedily and too deep

potatocubed posted:

I used to know what rugose meant but have since forgotten. :sinister chord:
:prepop:

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The word "chrome" now has me musing what a good pair of words for a Mad Max/Post Apocalypse version would be. :v:
Warlords & Witnesses

I know that is not what you were looking for but now I am picturing the font

clockworkjoe posted:

So what are some RPGs with crazy random character creation systems or other fun randomized tables/creators? My example is deadEarth, which has an absolutely nuts mutation system: https://rpgcharacters.wordpress.com/downloads-games/deadearth-resources/
Dammit what was that one

It was like one of many thousands of post-apocalyptic uhhh Blood Dawn: The Prophecy? I think that was the one. It had seemingly endless lists of mutations that I think you pretty much had no choice but to use. I bought a couple of books from Palladium's "Dead Reign" series entirely because they had random modern loot tables and I had been searching for those since before the Stone Table

And of course there is always Traveller, but surely you already know about that. The only time a character creation system has been so fun that I spent more time with it than playing the game (and I am talking about the CRPG even!)

wait I suddenly realize I have not seen his collar in ages

• Locked thread