Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I have played one game of torchbearer (online) and I really enjoyed it. I'm not sure I 100% understood how exactly it's supposed to work and I'd love to read more about the game from someone who knows it well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Simian_Prime posted:

I want the D&D movie to be centered entirely around a brutal dungeon crawl.

Ghost Ship with a D&D aesthetic? I'm in.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Ratpick posted:

I agree, I'd probably start characters off with either a 2 or a 3, because otherwise characters will reach the far end of the Sorcery scale too quickly.

My main problem is, what determines when a character's stat slides up towards Sorcery? I'd like to keep it sort of in the hands of players, so probably not just "Increase stat when you see a Cthulhu." It'd have to actually be something the player elects to do. Hmmm, maybe that's just it? If you see a Mythos monstrosity your only options are to either run away and hide and not lose Sanity, or stand and fight and lose Sanity whether you win or not. Decide not to touch that Mythos tome? You won't lose Sanity, but at the same time you're electing to not get the clue hidden within that tome which could help you solve the mystery.

Basically, at some point or another characters will have to do the mythos thing, because traditional investigative methods can only take them so far, but it also comes at the risk of losing your character. (I'm thinking this as more of a one-shot game than one for long campaigns, so going all the way to 6 would mean that you lose your character)

Amazing concept for a short or one-shot game. I think you're on the right track with the way you're looking at what would cause the track to change. I think it will create a lovecraftian vibe really well.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Aug 10, 2015

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Ratpick posted:

Thanks! All it needs is a list of Styles and Occupations, but thus far I've got nothing. Having to boil down the entire essence of the source material into just a short list of seven styles and occupations is really difficult.

Are occupations like jobs? Scientist, writer, historian, occultist, explorer, reporter, and detective would all make a shortlist. Styles are harder though.

Ratpick posted:

e: And of course the d6 charts for scenario generation, because you've gotta have those.

1 Daemoniac
2 Foetid
3 Cyclopean
4 Amorphous
5 Unutterable
6 Accursed

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Ratpick posted:

That's actually a really good list, and covers the most archetypical character types in Mythos writing. (Also, to go with reporter, I can't help but think that "Intrepid" should be one of the styles.)

Intrepid, yeah. I can see sceptical, naive, esoteric, elderly, and bizarre there too. I'm really just throwing "vibe" words out there from my memory of reading the stories.

Ratpick posted:

This is a good list. Although I can't help but feel that it's missing Squamous.

I left out squamous, rugose and non-euclidean on purpose since a) they don't actually come up very often in the writing and b) I have no idea what the first two even mean. e: I wasn't even being serious, just listing off stuff lovecraft kept on writing down.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Aug 10, 2015

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Covok posted:

I know this isn't really a pet thread anymore, but my parents just got a dog and, holy hell, does this guy scratch and nip. The kid is rather playful.

Distract him with a puzzle feeder or something similar. You'll now you got it right when he shows you his SERIOUS DOG BUSINESS face. Then take a photo of his SERIOUS DOG BUSINESS face and post it here.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Swagger Dagger posted:

You should just run AD&D then.

Pretty much this. I was a big fan of AD&D in the early 90s and while I wouldn't want to try to run it RAW I'd definitely play again. You could also pick up Hackmaster 4th edition, which runs nearly the same if you ignore the parody aspects. For all its compleexity, the non-hosed layout makes it somewhat easier to run than AD&D.

The thing with modern games that try to capture the vibe of AD&D is that they tend to focus on one or two aspects instead of being a big rambling collection of weird poo poo. I found that Torchbearer plays very differently but produces the same kind of stories that my AD&D games used to produce - where somewhat competent people go into a dungeon, get hurt, get lost, get trapped, get scared, eventually try to run away, and then some of them make it back tot he surface wtih loot and the whole thing's really tense.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Covok posted:

I think a big reason for this is that most modern games try to have a clear focus nowadays.

Yeah, for sure, and I like that sort of thing a lot more. That said, I do like AD&D the only thing stopping me from running it again is the fact that Hackmaster exists and does almost the same thing while being better laid out.

Like I said before, Torchebearer "feels like" AD&D in the sense of the same kinds of things happening in the world and to the characters. It captures my favorite part of the AD&D vibe. I'm a huge fan of Torchbearer but it doesn't "feel like" playing AD&D/Hackmaster in the sense of me, the player, doing similar sorts of things at the table.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

moths posted:

...most fantasy RPG gamers won't touch a system unless they initially mistake it for a Pathfinder supplement.

Where did you even find the market research documents for D&D Next?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Trollhawke posted:

Sounds about right - the last Fiasco game I organized ended with a naked 60-year old spy carrying a ton of katanas running from a nerd who didn't know how to use a Katana into the middle of a n unrelated bank robbery while the game store burned.

Last one I played in ended when one of the PCs, who'd been shot in the stomach, crashed a burning delivery van full of religious pamphlets into the back of a car which had another PC tied up in the trunk. Then the cops showed up and everyone who wasn't dead ended up in prison. I'd tell you what happened to the money, but everyone double-crossed everyone else to the point where there actually never was any money, just various dummy cash-bags.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Potsticker posted:

This is so very Fiasco it's great.

I've never played Fiasco and not had it be "very Fiasco", meaning that it always ends up in a clusterfuck of poor planning, inevitable betrayal, gratuitious violence, hilarious incompetence, and plain bad luck.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Sep 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Potsticker posted:

The same for me, but I've read some play reports where it didn't sound like the players got the idea at all.

I guess it would be possible not to get it, but when I read about it happening it always sounds like people are trying to miss the point.

• Locked thread