Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Barrett: The planet's dyin', Adam.

Adam: Yeah, rip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
You're a real spoony borg, Jensen.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Raijin: Don't believe me? It's all in the numbers. Number one...

Fujin: THAT'S. TERROR.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Prepare for word torture, Jensen.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
*adam jensen receives a digital artbook in his email*
"thank you for choosing your reward #mankindunited"

jensen: I DIDN'T ASK FOR THIS

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Welp that Secret Deux Ex mission is Adam breaking into Shinra Headquarters

I need to find my credit card.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
http://youtu.be/wZJHhM5uKlg

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Jimmy Status: Rustled

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

:qq: Guys Jimmy's being ignorant of my deep gaming culture.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Mak0rz posted:

so juiced for this that I might actually buy a 'bone just for it but instead I'll probably bring my n64 across the country because tbh I only really want it for blast corps

but man... blast corps... in H.D.!

just get a shield tv and put retroarch on it, that's the same thing but cheaper

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Jimmy's gettin upset!!!

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Fluffyguy958 dishing out the sick self owns

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
HEY KIDS, STOP ALL THE YOUTUBIN'

I'M A COMPOOTAH

haha, remember memes from 2006? ...no? ...you were only 10 in 2006?

...oh. i'm old. :smith:

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

new thread

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3739624

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
I don't see the point of let's play, but I do feel like it's exactly like watching sports, also something I'll never understand what the appeal is supposed to be.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

program666 posted:

I don't see the point of let's play, but I do feel like it's exactly like watching sports, also something I'll never understand what the appeal is supposed to be.

Having actually controllers at this point for games is beyond archaic, so anything that uses a touch screen is just so much better and isn't as cumbersome like a keyboard and mouse or a controller pad. They need to adapt more games to touch screen controls only then I will stop watching LPs.

I am not paying 60 dollars for a game that uses decades old technology in the form of a controller pad.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

watch your taints gamers

program666
Aug 22, 2013

The Taint Reaper posted:

Having actually controllers at this point for games is beyond archaic, so anything that uses a touch screen is just so much better and isn't as cumbersome like a keyboard and mouse or a controller pad. They need to adapt more games to touch screen controls only then I will stop watching LPs.

I am not paying 60 dollars for a game that uses decades old technology in the form of a controller pad.

are you trolling me?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

program666 posted:

Sometimes I want to see what happens in a game so old the chances of me actually having fun playing it are zero.

Also occasionally it's fun to see people actually being good at a game instead of stumbling around blindly like I do.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

program666 posted:

are you trolling me?

He asks, responding to a taint reaper post

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
The whole reason to why I am not Purchasing metal gear solid 5 is because they refuse to acknowledge modern gamers with no way to play it on your phone. Forcing someone to use a specialized piece of equipment in order to have input in playing a game with old and clunky buttons is just an insult. They're pandering to the older crowd who is stuck in their ways and holding games back and there is no way in hell they are getting my money like that.

So yes I would rather give 100 dollars to someone on twitch to play the game for me rather than dealing with that hot mess of a physical controller.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Heavy Lobster posted:

What happened with red ash other than they released a video that was literally "hey look, we have a movement system and that's about it because we're in pre-alpha" and people got angry because they don't know what a pre-alpha is?
They launched not one but two kickstarters while Mighty No 9 was not only not released but about to be delayed to 2016, they wanted to make red ash some cross media bullshit but who would want to invest in an anime for knockoff characters they've never heard of? Then when red ash was about to fail they put out a 'playable' alpha that looked like a college student's first project in Unity. Suddenly they said "oh we have a publisher!!" which was this shady looking Chinese website with OUYA knockoff hardware, so you shut the kickstarter down right? No they kept the Kickstarter running saying "all the money goes to stretch goals!" What stretch goals? "you'll find out later!" There was like a fuckin week left

It was a total joke

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The Taint Reaper posted:

The whole reason to why I am not Purchasing metal gear solid 5 is because they refuse to acknowledge modern gamers with no way to play it on your phone. Forcing someone to use a specialized piece of equipment in order to have input in playing a game with old and clunky buttons is just an insult. They're pandering to the older crowd who is stuck in their ways and holding games back and there is no way in hell they are getting my money like that.

So yes I would rather give 100 dollars to someone on twitch to play the game for me rather than dealing with that hot mess of a physical controller.

:rolleyes:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

lol

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I just want one big game designer to come to kickstarter and not do "I'm going to make more of the one game I'm known best for rather than come up with a loving original idea"

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Quest For Glory II posted:

I just want one big game designer to come to kickstarter and not do "I'm going to make more of the one game I'm known best for rather than come up with a loving original idea"

Maybe you've heard of a little something called Wildman?

Comedy option: Obsidian made a game Bioware was best known for

program666
Aug 22, 2013

Nostalgia is big part of why those kickstarters were successful in the first place, and I bet those game designers knew what they were doing. I sure hope after the first success they do try something new with their new money or a new kickstart campaign or whatever.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

broken age?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Which I liked but even that is "hey guys we're gonna make an old school point and click adventure game!" Considering Double Fine has made so many other types of games, they went to kickstarter for the nostalgia hook like every other developer

At least they did Massive Chalice in the second go around although that didn't get received super well

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

spacebase df9

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

I can't even imagine how lovely every form of media would be if creators had the attitude that only "original ideas" are worth pursuing.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Probably as lovely as post-modern art I guess

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Adam Bowen posted:

Probably as lovely as post-modern art I guess

shut up retard

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

I made a game where the object is to never play it and if you try to it deletes your hard drive and emails dick pics to your grandma, it's about like our throwaway culture man

lol at the loving retards who learn the skills necessary to make video games that people enjoy instead of just coming up with an insanely original idea like I did

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

That wasn't kickstarted it was early access

Adam Bowen posted:

I can't even imagine how lovely every form of media would be if creators had the attitude that only "original ideas" are worth pursuing.
If Miyamoto only did Mario games we'd never have gotten Legend of Zelda, F-Zero, or Pikmin

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Adam Bowen posted:

I made a game where the object is to never play it and if you try to it deletes your hard drive
http://www.stfj.net/art/2009/loselose/

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

If Miyamoto only did Mario games we'd never have gotten Legend of Zelda, F-Zero, or Pikmin

But do you think every designer is Miyamoto? You don't just sit down and decide to make something original and then a new idea pops out, you learn as much as you can about your craft and you actually create things and then maybe one day you have a good idea and run with it and it turns out to actually work and that's awesome. Or it turns out to be stupid as poo poo and you try again.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lose/Lose is a video-game with real life consequences. Each alien in the game is created based on a random file on the players computer. If the player kills the alien, the file it is based on is deleted. If the players ship is destroyed, the application itself is deleted.

Although touching aliens will cause the player to lose the game, and killing aliens awards points, the aliens will never actually fire at the player. This calls into question the player's mission, which is never explicitly stated, only hinted at through classic game mechanics. Is the player supposed to be an aggressor? Or merely an observer, traversing through a dangerous land?

Why do we assume that because we are given a weapon an awarded for using it, that doing so is right?

By way of exploring what it means to kill in a video-game, Lose/Lose broaches bigger questions. As technology grows, our understanding of it diminishes, yet, at the same time, it becomes increasingly important in our lives. At what point does our virtual data become as important to us as physical possessions? If we have reached that point already, what real objects do we value less than our data? What implications does trusting something so important to something we understand so poorly have?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Half-Life is a game with full life consequences.

• Locked thread