Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Initial dees nuts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Cyberbird posted:

MGS Megarun Update: MGS was solid gold from start to finish and actually controlled a lot better than I was expecting. The game was really designed around the limitations of the control scheme and felt consistent all the way through, and the whole story was glorious hammy double-crossing fun.

MGS2 is awful awful awful. The story is bad, the twists are bad, Raiden is bad, Rose is really bad. The Vamp fight was awful and now I have to deal with Jennifer Hale's most embarrassing role. I'm giving up and skipping on to MGS3 for some sweet soviet era action.

You feel this way because you are Raiden and it scares you.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

MGS3 is the best game ever made.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Accordion Man posted:

2 is good despite is flaws and its satire is good poo poo.

I feel Peace Walker is by far the worst mainline MGS, its frickin' boring as hell. People poo poo on 4 but at least that was fun to play.

PW is awesome

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

precision posted:

Rise isn't super anime, there are hundreds of actual living Japanese girls just like her

i mean, so i hear

I want to marry all of them.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

corn in the bible posted:

If you press the first person button whenever eva is around you find out snake is always staring directly at her tits.

Not true - sometimes he is looking at her rear end.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

You never see fanservice in Korean games.

Lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lots of joke missers here.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Nice back pedaling :grin:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

theultimo posted:

Only play games with Cheevos.

Are there even games that don't have them?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

Nintendo games.

I wish they did

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

all the japanese games i've played recently have "woman who can't cook" in them. Nier, Deadly prem, persona 4g, etc.
what other games have this?

Girls who can't cook for poo poo is an extremely common joke in anime.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Or sister

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

All of the women in MGS own.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Strong sexuality of a character and "fan service" are not the same thing.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Accordion Man posted:

They didn't retcon anything, a major part of the post 3 games is that everyone that knew The Boss just either incorrectly assumed what she wanted or just dressed up what they personally wanted as what they claimed The Boss wanted. Big Boss himself is totally subject to this.

It's the entire basis of Peace Walker and I assume it will continue in V and it's extremely cool.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

He's said repeatedly that Otacon is the character "most people who play the game identify with" so it makes sense that he's lonely and sad, like me.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Taint Reaper posted:

Why are mobas such garbage and why do people keep playing them despite everyone admitting that they're not having fun?

There is no bigger turn off to me than something proclaimed to be an "e-sport"

I wish I knew

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Fighting games are the good e-sport

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

icantfindaname posted:

counter strike is good. too twitchy and execution-based to have a huge e-'sport' infrastructure/scene though, it's too hard to play for nerds who just want to spend hundreds of hours memorizing patterns and strategy

if you don't play with strangers you'd have to play with people you know, and that would involve revealing that you play MOBAs in public, so better idea: don't play MOBAs at all

CS has a pretty healthy scene though.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

icantfindaname posted:

it's like a tenth the size of even DOTA, as far as i was aware at least

Yeah, that's stronger than most.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

There was a year or two where PC would get interesting indie games you couldn't find anywhere else, but now those are all timed console exclusives anyway, and there is no reason to have a PC over a console unless you really like DOTA and League.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

lot of people care about performance i guess but good enough is good enough imo

This I suppose. Like I wouldn't mind if FFXV came out on PC so I could play it at 60fps. But it also wouldn't have trophies so it's a wash

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

what does steam have instead like a trading card game for laundering drug money? i don't pay attention to all those notification that pop up when i'm just trying to necrodance or whatever on my laptop

They have steam achievements that nobody cares about bc you can edit a text fil and give yourself all the Cheevos.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Nasgate posted:

PC gaming is hella cheap. Can build a good gaming rig for about as much as consoles these days. And all games are always on ridiculous sales on steam or bundle stores.

And you can sell your cards to buy more games, so with PC gaming you can literally pay for games by playing games.

There's no way I could build a rig that could even run Dolphin for the price of refurb Wii u.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Blister posted:

You can talk during the movie, it's ok

Don't talk during movies.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Zombies' Downfall posted:

ME2 is like the best modern example of a game improving rather than diminishing a franchise by cutting off the fat (in this case a ton of boring redundant bullshit equipment, skills, and barren planets that only existed to make the game appear more like a traditional CRPG)

Games are different from most media in that sequels are almost always better because it usually means mechanical refinement and addition of new technical bells and whistles while delivering a similarly enjoyable story. Almost every game sequel is better than the previous iterations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Colonel posted:

While this point may hold true for many things, it unfortunately does not hold true for the second games in the Devil May Cry and Deus Ex series, or the third Serious Sam game, which they named Serious Sam 2

Agreed on all counts.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

hubris.height posted:

Fighting the Knights Templar through the streets of gay Paris while using my stealth cybernetics will always trump any complaints.

Dude, Deus Ex 2 is an awful game no matter what franchise it was associated with. The game exe closes and relaunches at every load screen. It's a barely functional mess, lol.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Not a Children posted:

The finest 1998 had to offer is no longer adequate after nearly two decades of industry-wide gameplay refinement, whoda thunk it.

MGS1 and SM64 are still good.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Taint Reaper posted:

Persona 5, Xenoblade X, and Final Fantasy 15 are all coming out on different days on the same week.

No they're not

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The problem is that the money you spent on Gems in a free to play game could have been spent on you know. An actual video game.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Deus Ex is loving great.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

drat I can't believe I extensively used this overpowered weapon that broke the game.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

TheScott2K posted:

Right, because them giving you a game breaking weapon for no reason at all makes tons of sense.

What's wrong with that

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

System Shock 2 sucks rear end. Deus Ex is good. Glad we can put this all behind us.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

StashAugustine posted:

counterpoint: ss2 had even worse combat than deus ex, which is saying something

It's like playing Deus Ex using only melee weapons without ever leveling up your melee skill past 2.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

TheScott2K posted:

It makes way less sense than the devs using it to put a bandaid over their game's sucking chest wound of a combat/stealth dichotomy. The combat was terrible and the stealth systems were rudimentary at best, so it was either give the player a glowy sword or risk nobody ever bothering to finish the game.

You could just not use the sword. Dumbass.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Iirc the opening f SS2 is walking through a series of branching tunnels for 30 minutes to build your character, which is way better than say. A menu. For some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

gently caress yeah.

• Locked thread